Crows call shy

• cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Anyone noticed crows staying out about 100 yrds. from the e-caller. I was in complete camo face mask and I hid in some thick brush and they still wouldnt come in. They have not been called at from this location all year to my knowledge.

shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

try putting the call out a ways from you I think it’s because they don’t see the usual crow brauls flying threw the air usually they circle, at least they do for me and I put my radio about 50 yds. from where I am sitting and the usually when they circle that’s when they go down I tried calling for a couple min. on sunday but no luck but hopefully this helps a little.
    shore shiner

shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

try putting the call out a ways from you I think it’s because they don’t see the usual crow brauls flying threw the air usually they circle, at least they do for me and I put my radio about 50 yds. from where I am sitting and the usually when they circle that’s when they go down I tried calling for a couple min. on sunday but no luck but hopefully this helps a little.
    shore shiner

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

But the Minnesota season has only been open for 2 weeks.And I dont think there are many crow hunters in this state.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

But the Minnesota season has only been open for 2 weeks.And I dont think there are many crow hunters in this state.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Here is what I do:
    When you see the crows approaching I try to turn the e-caller volume down lower and/or shut it off completely. In a sense, I like to have the birds come in “looking”. You get there attention from a distance with sound, then it’s up to your decoy spread to get them in close enough to shoot. I think the same applies for spring turkeys, just call, and let there curiousity bring them in range. If you listen to crows, even in a roosting area, there are often times when they are completely silent. Give that a try and good luck. DK

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Here is what I do:
    When you see the crows approaching I try to turn the e-caller volume down lower and/or shut it off completely. In a sense, I like to have the birds come in “looking”. You get there attention from a distance with sound, then it’s up to your decoy spread to get them in close enough to shoot. I think the same applies for spring turkeys, just call, and let there curiousity bring them in range. If you listen to crows, even in a roosting area, there are often times when they are completely silent. Give that a try and good luck. DK

buckmaster

I agree Duckilr. Are you using decoys with the e-caller? If no decoys are placed in the birds visual sight it is going to be hard for you to get them in close. Atleast I have found it that way for me. Remember these birds have great eye sight so you have to be careful. I don’t care if it is only 1 decoy I think it is needed in open field situations. Now if you don’t have decoys….. try pine tree points and stand right in the middle of them with an opening for shooting. Last weekend I didn’t want to carry the decoys, so my options were limited but I got into an area where the crows were and let the caller roll. Now you don’t have much time to shoot so every chance you get you have to take advantage of it. Sorry I got off track a little there, but these are some ideas to try.

I also noticed that some birds just don’t want anything to do with you period weather you have a caller, 100 decoys or nothing but that is just part of hunting.

Not sure what your tape was either, but maybe try a crow frenzy, owl fight, ect….. just something different to mix things up.

Good luck

buckmaster

I agree Duckilr. Are you using decoys with the e-caller? If no decoys are placed in the birds visual sight it is going to be hard for you to get them in close. Atleast I have found it that way for me. Remember these birds have great eye sight so you have to be careful. I don’t care if it is only 1 decoy I think it is needed in open field situations. Now if you don’t have decoys….. try pine tree points and stand right in the middle of them with an opening for shooting. Last weekend I didn’t want to carry the decoys, so my options were limited but I got into an area where the crows were and let the caller roll. Now you don’t have much time to shoot so every chance you get you have to take advantage of it. Sorry I got off track a little there, but these are some ideas to try.

I also noticed that some birds just don’t want anything to do with you period weather you have a caller, 100 decoys or nothing but that is just part of hunting.

Not sure what your tape was either, but maybe try a crow frenzy, owl fight, ect….. just something different to mix things up.

Good luck

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

No I did not have any decoys out.But I did set up right on the edge of a large evergreen plantation.Hoping the crows would circle over low enough for a crack at them but they stayed high and way out.I tried crow and Hawk fight and the fighting crow tape from Jonny Stewart. I think Mn. should have a May or June season so I can call in some young and stupid birds.Thanks for the suggestions guy’s.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

No I did not have any decoys out.But I did set up right on the edge of a large evergreen plantation.Hoping the crows would circle over low enough for a crack at them but they stayed high and way out.I tried crow and Hawk fight and the fighting crow tape from Jonny Stewart. I think Mn. should have a May or June season so I can call in some young and stupid birds.Thanks for the suggestions guy’s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.