First time crow hunter

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I am heading out when the crow season opens here in Minnesota. Last year it was March 1st, so I am hoping it is the same this year. I have a ton of questions since I have never done this before. Do you sit and wait for them or do you try to go and jump them? Do you use decoys? How many? Is it legal to hunt over roadkill or maybe some type of dead animal decoy? What is a good call? I have access to electronic calls if that is legal. And the question that really has been bugging me, Do you actually eat them?

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’m not an expert on this but I have read a few articles and can tell you what I have learned. You will want to find out were the crows are feeding and use decoys and call to call them to a locattion along there flight path to there feeding grounds. I think it;s probably almost imposable to jump a crow as they are very wary. Also you must be well camoflaged. Don’t know about any of the laws in minn. but I hope this helps you a little. Any call will work. OH yaeh you can eat the crows if you want but, I wouldn’t recomend it. There was just an article in a local paper about how the crows were a nuisance in some Iowa cities and how thousands of them fly into town every night to stay warm buy buildings and then fly out to the feilds during the day to eat.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’m not an expert on this but I have read a few articles and can tell you what I have learned. You will want to find out were the crows are feeding and use decoys and call to call them to a locattion along there flight path to there feeding grounds. I think it;s probably almost imposable to jump a crow as they are very wary. Also you must be well camoflaged. Don’t know about any of the laws in minn. but I hope this helps you a little. Any call will work. OH yaeh you can eat the crows if you want but, I wouldn’t recomend it. There was just an article in a local paper about how the crows were a nuisance in some Iowa cities and how thousands of them fly into town every night to stay warm buy buildings and then fly out to the feilds during the day to eat.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Quote:

There was just an article in a local paper about how the crows were a nuisance in some Iowa cities and how thousands of them fly into town every night to stay warm buy buildings and then fly out to the feilds during the day to eat.

Here on the BV Campus in Storm Lake, we have crows all over the place. Every morning I wake up to what appears to be about 400 crows in the two trees right outside my window I would love to get a few guys together and just dump our shotguns into the trees. All we’d have to do is point at the tree and fire as fast as we can…..birds would be falling like rain Unfortunately they leave that to the SLPD when we are gone on breaks from classes

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Quote:

There was just an article in a local paper about how the crows were a nuisance in some Iowa cities and how thousands of them fly into town every night to stay warm buy buildings and then fly out to the feilds during the day to eat.

Here on the BV Campus in Storm Lake, we have crows all over the place. Every morning I wake up to what appears to be about 400 crows in the two trees right outside my window I would love to get a few guys together and just dump our shotguns into the trees. All we’d have to do is point at the tree and fire as fast as we can…..birds would be falling like rain Unfortunately they leave that to the SLPD when we are gone on breaks from classes

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I don’t care how close they are, I know you can’t hit them! that’s why they’re outside YOUR window…………. They feel safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I don’t care how close they are, I know you can’t hit them! that’s why they’re outside YOUR window…………. They feel safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.