beagles

• walleyefarm1

I am thinking of getting a beagle. me and another guy hunt over 2 now but one is older and one is prime. thinking of introducing a new beagle to the pack. the beagle i am looking at is 2 months old. thinking of the female , what does everyone prefer male or female. and the beagle is not registered which to me doesn’t matter. The parents are pets and are really good looking and are very friendly. The good point when we were there looking at them they were sure into chasing the cats
    Whats everyone s thoughts

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Only to be honest. If the parents are good pets you will be getting a good pet. Females seem to be smarter but males seem to have more drive. This is from some experince.
    Good luck beagles are cool

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Only to be honest. If the parents are good pets you will be getting a good pet. Females seem to be smarter but males seem to have more drive. This is from some experince.
    Good luck beagles are cool

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

Raised in the northeast and probably spent more time training beagles than hunting them, my experience has been best with small(13 inch) females. They seem to be more settled and steady trailers that are less likely to miss the checks or turns. Also, less likely to run deer which gets old quick.
    You referenced the dog’s looks. No doubt everyone likes a classic looking pooch, but it really only matters if you plan to hit the beauty pageant circuit. Looks don’t mean a lot when it comes to the hunt. Selection of a pup should be largely influenced by the breeding.
    Frequent out of season training in cool weather will make them smarter, tougher and leaner.
    Good luck in your search for a pup.

Charlie

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

Raised in the northeast and probably spent more time training beagles than hunting them, my experience has been best with small(13 inch) females. They seem to be more settled and steady trailers that are less likely to miss the checks or turns. Also, less likely to run deer which gets old quick.
    You referenced the dog’s looks. No doubt everyone likes a classic looking pooch, but it really only matters if you plan to hit the beauty pageant circuit. Looks don’t mean a lot when it comes to the hunt. Selection of a pup should be largely influenced by the breeding.
    Frequent out of season training in cool weather will make them smarter, tougher and leaner.
    Good luck in your search for a pup.

Charlie

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

We raised beagles strictly for hunting, when I was growing up. My experience was that the young females didn’t push the rabbits as fast as the young males. Of course this made for a more enjoyable hunt.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

We raised beagles strictly for hunting, when I was growing up. My experience was that the young females didn’t push the rabbits as fast as the young males. Of course this made for a more enjoyable hunt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.