questions for spring walleye on the rainy

• grizzly
    nebraska

The resort’s think it will open to wheeler’s point by the weekend. Any thoughts

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Question about the Vidas access. I’ve always used Birchdale but was thinking about trying closer to the lake this weekend. How is the parking there? Can you park along the road in like at Birchdale?

dbright
    Cambridge

Question about the Vidas access. I’ve always used Birchdale but was thinking about trying closer to the lake this weekend. How is the parking there? Can you park along the road in like at Birchdale?

You can park on both sides. We used it today. Hopefully people drain there trailers better next weekend. The ramps were slick sat morning and this morning.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It was in the mid 20’s this morning also.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We will be fishing out of vidas this weekend as well.
    It can get slick

Corey sunderman

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass-n-Eyes wrote:</div>

You can park on both sides. We used it today. Hopefully people drain there trailers better next weekend. The ramps were slick sat morning and this morning.

We were there Monday morning also. Saw a few trucks slide down to water.

Corey sunderman

[/quote]

We were there Monday morning also. Saw a few trucks slide down to water.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just saw Timber Mill is open too, so hopefully the crowds will be dispersed a bit more.

Red Eye

Been out of Vidas Thursday afternoon and yesterday. Fishing kinda slow for us overall. 5 over 23”. 1-29”. 1-30”.
    Anyone else up?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I got snow here overnight. grin

Red Eye

No snow here but wet out.

grizzly
    nebraska

Will be here for the next week or so in a black and blue warrior so any of you guys see us would like to say Hi give us a holler. Good luck fishing

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Was a wet wake up Saturday morning getting rained on. Camped up there in the portables. Fishing was slower then previous trips.
    Got one good one out yesterday 29 on the nuts

Woke up today and fried the starter on my old e rude today. So packed up early for repairs. I’ll be back up next weekend

Attachments:
    1. IMG_11221.jpg

grizzly
    nebraska

Was a wet wake up Saturday morning getting rained on. Camped up there in the portables. Fishing was slower then previous trips.

Woke up today and fried the starter on my old e rude today. So packed up early for repairs. I’ll be back up next weekend

nice fish. We struggled Saturday and Sunday. Caught some nice fish but not the big girl’s were looking for. Hope you get boat running. We will be here yet next weekend

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We camped at birchdale in our portable if you were sounds that area

Red Eye

We fished Thursday afternoon all day Friday and all day Saturday. Definitely not a slammer. We worked for em. 66 total. 7 fish over 23”. 3 over 28. 1-30”. And 1 50” sturgeon snagged. Landed out of Vidas. Fished both up and down river from there.
    Headed back Thursday-Friday.

grizzly
    nebraska

We fished Thursday afternoon all day Friday and all day Saturday. Definitely not a slammer. We worked for em. 66 total. 7 fish over 23”. 3 over 28. 1-30”. And 1 50” sturgeon snagged. Landed out of Vidas. Fished both up and down river from there.
    Headed back Thursday-Friday.

what worked best for you?

Red Eye

Most of our fish were caught anchored and pitchin 1/4-3/8 jigs. 15-20’. Mix of paddle tails, gulp minnows, live rainbows, and spottails I salted last spring.

schuh0882

Long time lurker but wanted to register and post a report to help somebody out. 6 of us fished Friday/Saturday and it was slow overall with the cold front that came through. We fished both days within about 4 miles of Vidas. Friday we caught ~90 fish, with several in the 20-26″ range and 8 over 26″, biggest was a 28.5″. Also caught 3 sturgeon, 54, 56 and 62″. Missed 5 other big walleyes that spit the jig near the boat. Depths were in the 15-20′ channels, spot locked in holes or drifting down stream .1-.2 faster than current. 4-6″ suckers on a gold/chart/orange Tom’s Tackle jig was the ticket for bigs, frozen shiners for numbers. Saturday was a tougher day overall for us. we caught ~60 fish, with very few in the 20-26″ range, a 29″ and I got my first 30″. Lost 3 others. The larger suckers caught 9 of the 10 big fish for our group. I’m going to try to head back up after Easter. Good luck fishing!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Way to go on the 30″ ‘eye schuh0882!!! bow

Corey sunderman

I was up last Monday Tuesday and half Wednesday. 290 fish total for 3 guys in 1 boat. 3 27-28 and 5 28-29.25. did the same drift whole time. Jig and minnow or jig and plastic. Buddy headed back up thurs-saturday with his 8 year old boy. Not as many fish but did get a 29.5 and few 27s. Kid landed a 50″ sturg also

grizzly
    nebraska

Did the gap open up out to lake with all the wind we have?

schuh0882

Way to go on the 30″ ‘eye schuh0882!!! bow

Thanks! I have had several in the 28-29 inch range but feels good to finally get a 30″ for the replica.

schuh0882

I was up last Monday Tuesday and half Wednesday. 290 fish total for 3 guys in 1 boat. 3 27-28 and 5 28-29.25. did the same drift whole time. Jig and minnow or jig and plastic. Buddy headed back up thurs-saturday with his year old boy. Not as many fish but did get a 29.5 and few 27s. Kid landed a 50″ sturg also

That’s a heck of a trip, nice work!

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Went up yesterday morning. Stopped and got fuel at Cenex in Baudette. It was 19 deg. and 35 mph sustained winds. To make it worse it started snowing… very hard. They even had the State snowplows out. There were no boats around anywhere– Bait shop was even empty. We put in a Frontier because of the wind. Fished all day and had 2 fish on that got off and 4 other hits. We used paddletails, Rapala V blades, jig and minnows. Trailer brakes were froze solid and didn’t break loose until they hit the water. Nothing worked very good with the cold front. It snowed off and on all day. It was 9 above with 20 mph winds at 6 a.m. this morn. and we threw in the towel and came home. River is open 1 mi into the lake. All of 4 mi bay is wide open. Had 4 ft rollers last nite when we went to check it out. Water was dirty at frontier when we left there was less than 6 in. visibility. So your best bet if you are heading up is the bay and the lake. Heading back up when the weather is more friendly. Good Luck if you go up!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Went up yesterday morning. Stopped and got fuel at Cenex in Baudette. It was 19 deg. and 35 mph sustained winds. To make it worse it started snowing… very hard. They even had the State snowplows out. There were no boats around anywhere– Bait shop was even empty. We put in a Frontier because of the wind. Fished all day and had 2 fish on that got off and 4 other hits. We used paddletails, Rapala V blades, jig and minnows. Trailer brakes were froze solid and didn’t break loose until they hit the water. Nothing worked very good with the cold front. It snowed off and on all day. It was 9 above with 20 mph winds at 6 a.m. this morn. and we threw in the towel and came home. River is open 1 mi into the lake. All of 4 mi bay is wide open. Had 4 ft rollers last nite when we went to check it out. Water was dirty at frontier when we left there was less than 6 in. visibility. So your best bet if you are heading up is the bay and the lake. Heading back up when the weather is more friendly. Good Luck if you go up!!

That’s the Rainy! Bummer for you, but trust me the snow and cold is way better than a little warmer with sleet and rain!

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

That’s the Rainy! Bummer for you, but trust me the snow and cold is way better than a little warmer with sleet and rain!

Ben there for that too!! But also been there in 75 deg no wind and terrific bite. But your right that’s the Rainy. And I’m sure I’ll do it all over again and love it. Going back up next week and it should be a great improvement.

Cody Bagley

I have been waiting to head up to the river until the last weekend of the walleye season, it seems recent reports have been slower than a few weeks ago. Do you guys expect fishing to pick back up when the water clears and starts to warm up a bit more? Or did I miss my chance at a good walleye bite? Thank you, this will be my first spring trip to the river.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have been waiting to head up to the river until the last weekend of the walleye season, it seems recent reports have been slower than a few weeks ago. Do you guys expect fishing to pick back up when the water clears and starts to warm up a bit more? Or did I miss my chance at a good <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye bite? Thank you, this will be my first spring trip to the river.

The bite should get better. The river should clear up and with the weather forecast it should warm up.
    We will be up that weekend as well

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Dutchman Resort is reporting that the Little Fork broke loose yesterday (I thought it already had) and screwed up the water clarity. I was headed up Friday, anybody up there that can confirm before I leave?

Thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.