Pumpkin math, help me here

• tim hurley

Math, not my thing, growing pumpkins no. Just heard a news report of a 1500 lb. pumpkin. We grew them once they did not set fruit until July. With that as a starting point and the end of Sept the end point that thing is growing 5oolb a month, or 16lbs a day! Does it grow in the dark? If not it is growing about a pound an hour, you could practically see it growing. Growing these monsters is really a thing for some and they can sell the seeds for 100 a piece. Check my math, but it is almost Little Shop of Horrors spooky.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’ve heard that many of the pro growers claim 15-20 lbs per day easily once they crack 100. Right amount of water/fertilizer, and trim off all other vines.

Coletrain27

Wow that’s crazy. They must suck up ALOT of water

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Serious giant pumpkin growers can take it to a different level. Soil testing, soil prep, climate controlled green houses, irrigation, genetics, plant care and pruning, etc. Fruiting in July may or may not be an accurate assumption.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Google alaska state fair pumpkin, they have a contest every year and they are gigantic.
    Remember watching a documentary years ago about the growers there. If I remember correctly one of them actually took the roof off the top of the greenhouse and lifted it out with a truck crane to take it to the State Fair contest.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve read that 30 lbs per day is not unheard of. It’s pretty incredible. It’s something I’ve wanted to try growing but have never taken the initiative to do.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Wow that’s crazy. They must suck up ALOT of water

Bsing with a guy last year. He said he gives his giant pumpkins 500 gallons of water a day this time of year. Good thing he was on a well. They are 80% to 90% water.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

A friend of mine grows “Giant Pumpkins”. He even has his own strain. Some seeds sell for over $75ea. 500#+ pumpkins are the norm. I guess water is the key. He has a constant running water supply for each plant.

MX1825

Just read an article about a guy growing a 2500 lb pumpkin. He said at peak growing time it was growing 40 to 50 pounds per day. shock

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Lead in the water? just joking,,,,,,, pumpkin growers are honest folk. grin

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

He won!
    and that’s a lotta water and fertilizer

“Lots of tender loving care in the form of 200 gallons of water and 12 to 14 applications of fertilizer a day brought it to life”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.