Pulling raps after dark tips/

• Ross Gunderson

For those of you that target walleye after dark pulling raps, what are you using to sense the bite/hit if you have the rod in the rod holder while driving the boat when its dark? I usually try to keep the rod tips close to the water but its hard to see them after it gets dark

1) Hopefully just see the rod tip?
    2 Set your drag loose enough that it pulls some out?

tangler
    Inactive

A small bell on the tip can also work.

Personally i use round casting reels with bait clickers even during the day time. Too much to look at it when the boat is moving to be spying rod tips all day. My eyes are on the water and the graph.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hold onto the rod. How else are you supposed to know if the lure is running right, got weeds on it, tangled with another lure, hitting bottom, ect. Plus you are missing out on one of the best parts of catching fish. Feeling them crush the lure.

Rod holders in my boat do make pretty good arm rests for trolling.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Every spring I go to the dollar store and stock up on those light sticks that you crack to make them glow. I use the red and green ones on planer boards at night and it works great!

huskerdu

On darkest nights you almost need the rod in your hand to determine bites , little fish are the problem

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Every spring I go to the dollar store and stock up on those light sticks that you crack to make them glow. I use the red and green ones on planer boards at night and it works great!

Ya know red/green are your nav colors. Not the best idea on busy Waters at night.

Blue and yellow are not used in navigation.

I just use a headlamp. If using planer boards, they have reflective tape on them.

I used to put lights on my sturgeon rods at night and have seen many people do it too. Using red/green sends confusion to other people on the water trying to navigate safely.
    2cents

Dave maze
    Isanti

I use the clicker on my reel to give an audible alarm to bites. I’m also checking the rodtips with a headlamp to make sure the lure is running properly.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Hold onto the rod. How else are you supposed to know if the lure is running right, got weeds on it, tangled with another lure, hitting bottom, ect. Plus you are missing out on one of the best parts of catching fish. Feeling them crush the lure.

Rod holders in my boat do make pretty good arm rests for trolling.

Agreed, we open on Leech Lake every year and one of my special techniques is to start trolling #5 shad raps just at dark to maybe 10:00. By holding your rod you get an idea of the bottom, where your lure is (I fish the 5 – 7 foot rocky shorelines), and if course the feel of that strike when they smash it. Plus by holding the rod, it’s one less thing you have to worry about, just put the motor in neutral and have someone get the net!

tornadochaser

I use the clicker & occasional check with head lamp. We are going to experiment with glow paint on a few rods this summer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.