Public land hunters

• ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Maybe they like the challenge and think you’re a lazy POS and borderline cheater for hunting stupid private land birds

Maybe. But I put the time in and I’m willing to ask. So therefore I am less lazy than someone who doesn’t, right?

I was genuinely wondering why people are against asking for permission these days because there is a lot of complaining about running into other hunters on public land. I wasn’t trying to call them lazy or useless or whatever terminology has been used. Obviously trespassing is a serious problem and it needs to be addressed. We’ve got 3 whole pages on it already.

Im just happy most of you get out hunting once or twice a year so I can have the public to myself.

Michael Best

Here is a screen shot from OnX up by Devils Lake. All the land in red is E posted.

In my younger days I hunted unposted land a lot in ND. Back then most of the land that had good deer habitat on it was posted anyway. However with enough scouting you could find pieces that were not posted.
    That is how my love for bow hunting started. It was easier to gain permission to bow hunt then rifle hunt for land that was posted.

Never was a huge waterfowl hunter but the times I did hunt we would seek out land that wasn’t posted and had birds on it.

It was already stated above. It is the law that you can hunt unposted land. So if the land isn’t posted it’s not trespassing at least in a criminal or civil sense anyway. Morally that is up to interpretation.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3783.png

Timmy

You tell me. Why are people so unwilling to ask for permission anymore? You can’t honestly say you’d rather pound highly pressured public land than hunt untouched private land.

There are also a group of guys like me that enjoy pheasant hunting and only get to go once or twice a year due to time/distance constraints. When I need to travel 5-8 hours to get to decent pheasant country, the time required to track down the appropriate landowners whereabouts is too time consuming and labor intensive to rely on only private access to make a trip. We still knock on an occasional door, and get access sometime, but without public access to some land, I wouldn’t be able to realistically/effectively hunt wild pheasants.

So chalk me up as a lazy and unwilling enough to hunt public land and at least get my fog on longtails occasionally.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There are also a group of guys like me that enjoy pheasant hunting and only get to go once or twice a year due to time/distance constraints. When I need to travel 5-8 hours to get to decent pheasant country, the time required to track down the appropriate landowners whereabouts is too time consuming and labor intensive to rely on only private access to make a trip.

That’s a good answer. I appreciate the honesty.

skinnywater

What i dont understand is why people that hunt public land don’t just go buy their own land to hunt on. With hunting land being so cheap and easy to acquire, everyone should just have their own 80 acres. Then you just buy a $45K tractor and make your own fields of corn and beans and sit over those from a $8K heated shack. Just stop being poor

CaptainMusky

Sorry too lazy for that

Yeah, I just rather not work and get everything for free like everyone else does these days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I hunt lots of public land and I really enjoy doing so. I just need to stay else where during regular shotgun season. Otherwise the public land is plentiful and quiet

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What i dont understand is why people that hunt public land don’t just go buy their own land to hunt on. With hunting land being so cheap and easy to acquire, everyone should just have their own 80 acres. Then you just buy a $45K tractor and make your own fields of corn and beans and sit over those from a $8K heated shack. Just stop being poor

Damnit. I really should have went this route. I’m still poor though

Brittman

SD and ND are completely different states when it comes to most everything including hunting laws.

ND: land open to hunting unless posted (electronic or signs)
    SD: land closed to hunting without permission

ND: hunting ditches next to posted land is illegal
    SD: hunting ditches is legal

ND: party hunting is illegal
    SD: party hunting is legal

Brittman

Fishthumper is just blabbing … much about nothing or things now approaching 30+ years ago… Sometimes it is better not to say anything … maybe ???

Brittman

I will give you two words of advice about hunting an unposted field for waterfowl in ND … more specific setting up decoys in the early AM.

Watch the area and if they are laying anhydrous on fields … you may want to ask or move on.

Don’t block access points to fields …

sorry: anhydrous … is the nitrogen in those white tanks for those unsure what I meant.

Brittman

Until ONX … MN public woodlands … people had no idea what land they were on …

The Chippewa National Forest is a complex network of Federal, state, county (tax forfeit), and private land. I hunted up NW of Remer for say 7 or 8 yeers or so … guy who brought me there … his old crew had built wood stands. We repaired them before it was illegal to do so. He thought they were on Federal land. Nope – county tax forfeit.

Bet you I could have stopped 100 pickups in Cass County in 1997 (there abouts) and not one (except me) would have had a Cass County Plat map book… well unless I inadvertently stopped the tax assessor.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

It is amazing how much of that land is tax forfeited up near Remer. That is where I learned about the ONX app. My father in law and me were branching out trying to find some new deer hunting land and got talking to a guy on the side of a dirt road and he was showing us on his tablet the ONX map and all the public land surrounding us. It was eye opening. Before then I had just used the MN DNR recreational compass, but non of the tax forfeited land will show up on that database.

Brittman

There used to be a large fold-out Chip. Federal Forest map. Showed much more than the MN DNR maps for that area.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well this topic was made about Minnesota deer hunters. I should have made that clear. I couldn’t care less about ND or SD

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Until ONX … MN public woodlands … people had no idea what land they were on …

The Chippewa National Forest is a complex network of Federal, state, county (tax forfeit), and private land. I hunted up NW of Remer for say 7 or 8 yeers or so … guy who brought me there … his old crew had built wood stands. We repaired them before it was illegal to do so. He thought they were on Federal land. Nope – county tax forfeit.

Bet you I could have stopped 100 pickups in Cass County in 1997 (there abouts) and not one (except me) would have had a Cass County Plat map book… well unless I inadvertently stopped the tax assessor.

It’s 2023. Not worried about 97. Lots of stuff went under the rug back then. No one had the internet in there pocket at that time. The excuses these days are weak when every one has access to the internet

CaptainMusky

It’s 2023. Not worried about 97

LOL! My dad had a couple plat books from around that vintage that he wanted me to take and I said no, Im good. Those are invalid now anyway and I have an app on my phone that is pretty much current.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I hunted up NW of Remer for say 7 or 8 yeers or so … guy who brought me there … his old crew had built wood stands. We repaired them before it was illegal to do so.

Ha! That’s exactly what we did up there too about 20 years ago before they made it against the rules to build them there. I bet there’s all kinds of old rotted stands there. Just remnants rotting away in the trees now.

Viewing 19 posts - 91 through 109 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.