Public land hunters

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the point fishthumper is making here is that some landowners have a shorter fuse than others, and less tolerance for trespassers. I for one wouldn’t be willing to push the envelope on a landowner. Trespassing creates confrontation, and confrontation can get hostile. I think that’s all he’s saying.

CaptainMusky

I know I told the story here before but I ran into a couple farmers once who seemed nice to me in my interaction with them when I asked permission but they ended up killing a guy who confronted them about all their farm equipment they parked on his parents farm that was interfering with his hunting. Still haunts me a bit.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    That really needs to be changed in Minnesota as well. Someone who owns land should not need to post it to have to keep people from using it. To me its no different than someone being able to use someones home or fishhouse just because its not posted. They are all private property.

I really dont think its that tough to hang signs on your land. Heck in ND if a property is unposted physically and electronically its legal to hunt! We should have that!

Sorry, but why do I have to buy signs, figure out a way to post them that they won’t blow away and hang them? Just to state what everyone already knows? You don’t have permission to hunt here, so don’t?

tswoboda

I think the point fishthumper is making here is that some landowners have a shorter fuse than others, and less tolerance for trespassers. I for one wouldn’t be willing to push the envelope on a landowner. Trespassing creates confrontation, and confrontation can get hostile. I think that’s all he’s saying.

Gotta get it through your skulls that in ND it’s not trespassing. If it’s not posted no one wants you to ask permission for it, it is legal for the general public to hunt and they know that. And bugging a farmer and their family during harvest just to make yourself feel warm and fuzzy and climb up on your high horse, is not being respectful.

tswoboda

So just so we are clear you don’t actually know any ND Farmers, only hunted SD over 20 years ago and the rest you were just making up stuff? Sounds about right. Farmers are some of the best people out there in my estimation, and yes everyone should respect property rights and local norms. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk!

Perth is in ND north of Devils Lake so he does have experience there, just a typo I assume. But I can promise you that area has seen massive change in regards to waterfowl hunting since the 80s and 90s. There’s especially been change the last few years with the E posting program.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So just so we are clear you don’t actually know any ND Farmers

No. You are not clear. I still stay in touch with several of the farmers we got to know from our years hunting out there. I also have several family members who farm in the Leeds area in ND. You are correct that most all Farmers are some of the Best people there are, But like everything, not all of them. Farmers also have a strong belief in right and wrong and they don’t take lightly to being wronged. Over the years we stayed as guest at several Farmers homes. Not paid guest but invited guest. We always took the farmers and family out for a steak dinner and drinks while staying with them as well as sent out Hams and Turkeys at the holidays. Most of the farmers would not even take any payment from us for staying with them. They just always looked forward to our visits with them each hunting season. Sadly one of the Farmers died in a car crash in 2010. Several of us even attended his funeral. We have also stopped and visited his widow several times when passing thru the area. So no, I do know Farmers in SD and am not making anything up. But you will believe what you want. You always seem to do so.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I really dont think its that tough to hang signs on your land. Heck in ND if a property is unposted physically and electronically its legal to hunt! We should have that!

Sorry, but why do I have to buy signs, figure out a way to post them that they won’t blow away and hang them? Just to state what everyone already knows? You don’t have permission to hunt here, so don’t?

Because thats what the law states?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Perth is in ND north of Devils Lake so he does have experience there, just a typo I assume.

You are correct a Typo. I was talking Perth ND. You may be correct, Things may have changed a lot since we last hunted out there in around 2005-2006. We almost always got permission to hunt when we asked, But not always. Often the farmer would have friends or Family who had plans to hunt the property, or had had issues with prior hunters and just simply said no. We always respected that and just moved on. I guess according to the laws we could have just hunted the land anyway.

tswoboda

Sounds like you ran into a lot of unposted land. Like I said, times have changed.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sounds like you ran into a lot of unposted land. Like I said, times have changed.

So are you saying these days most of the landowners are now posting their property? You are correct, when we hunted in ND there was not much land that was posted. Even without being posted most hunters back then located the landowner and asked permission.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve hunted up there before, and talked to many others that have as well. I never once in my life heard of anyone trying to contact a landowner about unposted land asking for permission. That’s the whole reason everyone loved hunting there! Now if there’s standing crop, then you need permission regardless of posted/ unposted.

Jimmy Jones

Hunting on state-owned land is for people who are too frigghin lazy to go ask permission. Posted or not, hunting on private land is a privilege you’ll gain only by asking so why create possible issues that can go south in a blink by assuming your sorry ass is good to go on private land uninvited?

I’ve deer hunted the same land for over twenty-five years. During the off season I go down and work with the owner doing maintenance and other simple chores if/when he needs some help. During the deer season I and anyone I invite along are the only persons supposed to be on the land yet every year there’s some prick that comes along. Not only is entering just because its not posted a stupid thing to do it can be deadly. Not knowing where everyone is that are on the land when shooting can result in things becoming a very bad day for someone.

Hunting requires ethics. If you lack them, go find something else to do until you learn what ethic are needed.

CaptainMusky

I dont have any problem asking permission its getting access that is the problem in the areas I hunt. There is almost always someone either the landowner themselves or someone else hunting the property so I get turned down a lot. Now pheasant hunting is a different story, but not deer hunting.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Hunting on state-owned land is for people who are too frigghin lazy to go ask permission. Posted or not, hunting on private land is a privilege you’ll gain only by asking so why create possible issues that can go south in a blink by assuming your sorry ass is good to go on private land uninvited?

I’ve deer hunted the same land for over twenty-five years. During the off season I go down and work with the owner doing maintenance and other simple chores if/when he needs some help. During the deer season I and anyone I invite along are the only persons supposed to be on the land yet every year there’s some prick that comes along. Not only is entering just because its not posted a stupid thing to do it can be deadly. Not knowing where everyone is that are on the land when shooting can result in things becoming a very bad day for someone.

Hunting requires ethics. If you lack them, go find something else to do until you learn what ethic are needed.

I am fortunate to not know anyone like yourself. We’re all better off with you staying on your land.

Jimmy Jones

There is almost always someone either the landowner themselves or someone else hunting the property so I get turned down a lot.

Good on you for taking the time to ask!

What you just mentioned happens and there’s not much one can do about that. But getting permission always starts with asking. Even if you’re turned down, you’ll at least be given the respect you’ve shown the owner by taking the time to ask, signs or no signs. Its the idiots who simply assume that without signs they’ll welcomed to do as they please without asking FIRST.

And as for signs, I’ve been allowed to hunt more property with well placed signs just because I took the time to ask, than not allowed to hunt. The signs for many farmers are simply way to know who is on their land at any given time IF the hunter takes time to ask and allow the owner to see up front and in person who they are dealing with. Signs don’t always mean you won’t be allowed to hunt if you simply take the time to drive up and ask.

Look at it this way. You own a nice shiny Ranger boat and have it parked in your driveway. You look out the window and see a kid sitting in it playing with knobs and rods, knowing not who he is. He’s not really hurting anything and your property is not posted to keep people off, no fences or barriers, and your belief is that its YOUR PRIVATE property. What do you do? Hunting and farmers’ lands are no different. They’re private. Period. You want to go on there, go ask permission.

People citing this rule or that rule in the books are simply trying to justify their being on someone else’s property without asking first: just lazy people with no ethics involved in this at all. Rules aren’t often written around ethics or being responsible. That’s left to those who hold a license [again, a privilege!] and way too many of them have been brought up with no or little ethic or the sense of responsibility. This is the problem with hunters understanding that farmers’ lands are private without permission and what public land is for.

Gitchi Gummi

I would not want to see the ND “if its not posted, its huntable” laws adapted here in MN. Landowners shouldn’t have to jump thru hoops just to make it illegal for some random Joe Blow to come on their land and start hunting.

Example – if I owned a bunch of land and didn’t want people on it, I’d go around and post signs every couple hundred yards, sign and date them, and then monitor/replace them as needed… all just to keep some person out who knows they are not welcome on it. if some random guy decides to knock over one of my signs and proceed on thru to hunt, then that is MY fault and it’s on me to find the vandalized sign and re post it? something about that just doesn’t sit right with me. lots of loopholes for not so honest hunters to take advantage of with the ND rules.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would not want to see the ND “if its not posted, its huntable” laws adapted here in MN. Landowners shouldn’t have to jump thru hoops just to make it illegal for some random Joe Blow to come on their land and start hunting.

Example – if I owned a bunch of land and didn’t want people on it, I’d go around and post signs every couple hundred yards, sign and date them, and then monitor/replace them as needed… all just to keep some person out who knows they are not welcome on it. if some random guy decides to knock over one of my signs and proceed on thru to hunt, then that is MY fault and it’s on me to find the vandalized sign and re post it? something about that just doesn’t sit right with me. lots of loopholes for not so honest hunters to take advantage of with the ND rules.

ND allows electronic posting too. I am unsure of how someone could knock that down as its not a physical sign. waytogo

BigWerm
    SW Metro

No. You are not clear…So no, I do know Farmers in SD and am not making anything up. But you will believe what you want. You always seem to do so.

Perth area in SD for over 20 years starting in the mid 80’s.

My apologies for reading your words as you typed them. When you continually type SD instead of ND, I assume you meant SD. I still stand by it being ridiculous to say “it’s not going to end well” like ND farmers are out there strapped up and looking for people trespassing on their turf like Bloods and Crips, when in reality it is common ND law and social norm for the public to access non-posted land. FWIW I don’t hunt ND and don’t have a dog in this fight, was just commenting on your statement implying there is Gangster Farmers out in ND. rotflol rotflol rotflol

tswoboda

Or you could just E-post it, but then I suppose you’d be stuck with less things to complain about.

Here’s a screenshot of the E-posted land (orange cross-hatch) around Devil’s Lake, I think it’s safe to say around 50% is E-posted. And the properties that aren’t e-posted may very well be traditionally posted.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2023-11-15-105029.jpg

tswoboda

Hunting on state-owned land is for people who are too frigghin lazy to go ask permission.

Thoughts on County Land? How about Federal?

ffs this is a wild take, the soap boxes is this thread are really something rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Now pheasant hunting is a different story, but not deer hunting.

I’ve literally never hunted public land for pheasants (or turkeys) in over 20 years now. There’s no need because almost everyone I ask for permission at grants it! Its rare to get a no to hunt birds because apparently very few people hunt them. The numbers would suggest that too given that the quantity of bird hunters is about 20% compared to the quantity of deer hunters.

Gaining permission to hunt deer (especially during gun season) is a completely different story. You could ask 10 people and 10 of them are going to say no because they either hunt it themselves, have relatives hunting it, or the reputation with deer firearms hunters simply turns them off. Its very difficult for me to get permission to hunt deer during gun season on private property.

I don’t quite understand why people are so unwilling to knock on doors and ask for permission these days. It must be a time thing. Or they’re just flat out too lazy. I devote a fair amount of time to scouting, driving around, and asking for permission to hunt pheasants every fall, and turkeys every spring. Been doing it that way for over 20 years. These are not landowners I know or relatives, they’re strangers that have allowed me out there with a simple request and a hand shake. And the good part about it is that once they say yes, they almost always say yes every season thereafter. Apparently no one else is willing to do that. They’d rather pound public land with the crowds. The payoff is that I get to hunt untouched, private land every fall and spring. Well worth the effort for me to avoid highly pressured public land.

tswoboda

I don’t quite understand why people are so unwilling to knock on doors and ask for permission these days. It must be a time thing. Or they’re just flat out too lazy. I devote a fair amount of time to scouting, driving around, and asking for permission to hunt pheasants every fall, and turkeys every spring

Someone doesn’t do what I do = clearly they must be a lazy POS

What is going on in this thread ???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You tell me. Why are people so unwilling to ask for permission anymore? You can’t honestly say you’d rather pound highly pressured public land than hunt untouched private land.

tswoboda

Maybe they like the challenge and think you’re a lazy POS and borderline cheater for hunting stupid private land birds coffee /s/

Jeez who the hell cares why people choose to hunt public! I’m sure there’s plenty of reasons and not sure why any of them matter to others. You should be happy and cheering them on leaving all that juicy private land available to you

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

You tell me. Why are people so unwilling to ask for permission anymore? You can’t honestly say you’d rather pound highly pressured public land than hunt untouched private land.

Who knows if people are actually unwilling to ask? I feel like you are starting from a questionable premise. I’m not a huge bird hunter, but when I do go I have my spots lined up between public and private, and it’s a pretty good run that is more land than I can hunt in a day, and requires no knocking on doors. The same applies to many buddies I know, established milk runs and no door knocking. That said I’ve done a lot of door knocking, and am not unwilling to do so, just don’t have a NEED to do so. Plus the number of hunters is decreasing, especially after birds. And as someone who hunts deer on public and private, I’ve seen way more deer on public than on private the last 5 years, and it’s far more difficult for me to hunt the public than the private, which makes me too friggin lazy or something I guess. toast I think it’s officially shoulder season, where everyone is ornery! whistling rotflol chased

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe they like the challenge and think you’re a lazy POS and borderline cheater for hunting stupid private land birds

Maybe. But I put the time in and I’m willing to ask. So therefore I am less lazy than someone who doesn’t, right?

I was genuinely wondering why people are against asking for permission these days because there is a lot of complaining about running into other hunters on public land. I wasn’t trying to call them lazy or useless or whatever terminology has been used. Obviously trespassing is a serious problem and it needs to be addressed. We’ve got 3 whole pages on it already.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks for the honest response BigWerm.

tswoboda

The coffee newspaper guy is universally understood as the sarcasm button, right?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

And as someone who hunts deer on public and private, I’ve seen way more deer on public than on private the last 5 years, and it’s far more difficult for me to hunt the public than the private, which makes me too friggin lazy or something I guess.

Public land hunters are so lazy. Having to hang and hunt vs having a nice cushy box blind or preset. The deer on public practically introduce themselves to you! jester

CaptainMusky

Im certainly not unwilling to ask permission but where I hunt pheasants there is so much public land that is really good habitat and if there is someone already there I go somewhere else. I dont ask permission to hunt private a lot because I just dont want to bother a farmer who is working his ass off to get crops out and have to deal with me. I dont prescout. If I see birds on private while I am hunting that is when I ask. Im not going to burn gas just to scout land I generally already know what good land is out there because I hunt the same area over and over. Most of the time when I do end up asking permission I get his wife and she would say you have to talk to him who is busy out in the field.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.