Public land bow hunting stand?

• Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I have to ask… What are you guys using for stands on public land? I know I want something that I bring in set up and take down but don’t know if I should look into a light weight climber or hang-on stand with climbing sticks or a ground blind. I would prefer to be up in a tree I guess if I really think about it. I’m looking for something more wallet friendly then a Lone Wolf or something similar. So with all that said I’m just looking for ideas / opinions / recommendations and so on.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Plus do you guys use or recommend a game cart? I have an Otter sled that I was going to use with snow on the ground.

sktrwx2200

I would say a good hang on and sticks or spikes would be best. When I used a hang on, very rarely could I hang it where I wanted to. It has to be the perfect tree. And then I would have to trim every limb on the way up. Hang on you can go around big limbs, maybe use them as a step. Most everyone makes a light weight hang on these days.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Can’t advise on stands, but if on public land I would say scout a Plan A, B, and C location. Can’t tell you the number of guys who have told me the same experience of showing up to put up the stand and then discovering there was another guy already up in a tree 20 yards away…

Grouse

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I picked up a Muddy Vantage this year and it’s crazy light, perfect for hang and hunts. If you’re not familiar it uses a small mount that ratchets to the tree and then you hook the stand on the mount, strap it in and you’re good. It’s nice because you can use 1 stand and leave super mounts in the trees you hunt. The mounts are much cheaper than the stands so if you buy 3 super mounts for 50 bucks or whatever and the one that comes with the stand it’s essentially like having 4 stands. Add some climbing sticks and you’re very mobile. The vantage weighs almost nothing.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I picked up a Muddy Vantage this year and it’s crazy light, perfect for hang and hunts. If you’re not familiar it uses a small mount that ratchets to the tree and then you hook the stand on the mount, strap it in and you’re good. It’s nice because you can use 1 stand and leave super mounts in the trees you hunt. The mounts are much cheaper than the stands so if you buy 3 super mounts for 50 bucks or whatever and the one that comes with the stand it’s essentially like having 4 stands. Add some climbing sticks and you’re very mobile. The vantage weighs almost nothing.

What climbing sticks would you recommend? I think I am leaning towards the hang on / sticks approach.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Public land is tricky. Depending on the type of public land, cutting of limbs may be prohibited, so keep that in mind when choosing a stand. A few years ago, my husband and I built portable stands for our public land use. He wasn’t too impressed with what he found available at the time to buy, so we ended up building larger, sturdier stands. They’re indeed roomy and sturdy once they’re up and assembled, but they weigh a lot and it takes to people to haul them into the woods. I’ve gotten better with practice. The first year we hauled them out, I thought my hands were going to fall off. shock

sjc

I hunt state land almost exclusively usually a couple times a week. I would recommend a good set of climbing sticks and a hang on. This will give you the most options for places to sit. I like the lone wolf stuff personally. If you will be packing in any distance I would get the lightest sticks and stand you can afford, there is more difference in weight in the climbing sticks than the stands on the market for the money. I started with the lone wolf sticks and a used aluminum stand from a garage sale to keep the weight down. Good luck

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I know a lot of people like the Lone Wolf sticks but I’ve never personally tried them. Pat has a set of Muddy sticks and they are nice. Easy to strap onto the tree and they pack really nicely for packing around.

Protourbaits1

My brother has a bunch of Muddy sticks. They’re really light and easy to use. Not sure on the cost though…I believe that you can’t use screw-in steps on public land, but it depends on where you’re hunting i.e. state

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is what needs to be considered as suggestions are made for WI public land. I only hunt public from a ground blind for the sake of simplicity

WI public land – no screw in foot pegs and the stand must be removed each night – see page 34 of the WI hunting regs.

It is illegal to:

hike or snowshoe on designated cross-country ski trails when the trails are snow covered,

hunt or possess a firearm, bow or crossbow in a wildlife refuge, or possess a firearm, air
    gun, slingshot, bow or crossbow in a state park, state fish hatchery or within 100 yards of a
    state campground, picnic area, or within the exterior boundaries of a state recreational trail
    (except as posted open to hunting) unless it is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying
    case.
    Bows and crossbows must be unstrung or enclosed within a carrying case,
    n
    ote
    : the above restrictions do not prohibit a person authorized to possess a concealed
    weapon from possessing a loaded, uncased handgun on these properties or a hunter from
    possessing or discharging a firearm, airgun, bow or crossbow in areas of state parks that
    are open to hunting during those portions of the year when hunting is open in state parks
    or possessing a loaded or uncased firearm, bow or crossbow in areas closed to hunting
    for the purpose of accessing areas within the park that are open to hunting.

pursue, drive or chase animals on lands that are closed to hunting,

use a ground blind during any open deer season or special deer hunt with firearms
    unless a minimum of 144 square inches of solid blaze orange or florescent blaze orange
    material is visible from all directions,
    n
    ote:
    blinds used for waterfowl hunting are exempt from this rule.

build or use a ground blind or any elevated device unless it does not damage the tree
    and is completely removed from the property each day at the close of hunting hours,
    n
    ote:
    blinds used for waterfowl hunting do not need to be removed daily. See
    the
    2014 Waterfowl Regulations
    for details.

leave a tree stand or ground blind unoccupied during legal hunting hours unless the
    owner’s customer ID number or name and address has been attached in a manner that
    is visible and legible to a person on the ground or near the entrance of the ground blind,
    e
    xception
    : ground blinds constructed entirely of dead vegetation found on the
    property do not need to be removed at the end of each day, do not need to display
    blaze orange and do not need to have the hunter’s name and address displayed.

damage trees. Cutting shooting lanes and use of screw-in tree-stands or steps are
    considered damaging and are illegal on public lands,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.