Pro Tiller II Steering

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I’ve been getting a lot of questions recently about how this system works in tight quarters where you need to turn on a dime, for example in Canada or other structure rich lakes where you need to navigate around reefs, islands, buoys etc.

When you are operating this system on plane, it only takes small taps to the button to change your course of navigation, and holding the button down will turn you on a dime. I have yet to find a S curve that I wasn’t able to navigate in the 2090 with Pro Tiller Steering that you could have with a wheel boat or other power steering system. If anything it’s the other way around.

It does take a little bit of getting used to the system and building confidence in it, but once you do I could not think of an easier, less fatiguing power steering system for tiller boats. Less fatiguing being the most important one for me. It takes zero effort during long runs as the steering is locked and all you’re doing is controlling the throttle with your left hand and the steering with your right thumb.

When doing trolling runs or driving at slow speeds you simply disengage the steering system and steer the boat like any other tiller.

Give Cal or Dean a shout over at Warrior Boat Center if you’re interested in trying one out. I believe they will be having a few ride and drives coming up this fall!

Attachments:
    1. Tiller-RUnning-1-of-1.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Good info Pat and I couldn’t agree more. Long runs on Mille Lacs with the steering engaged are like having auto pilot. Lock it in heading for your favorite mud flat 8-12 miles away and sit back and enjoy the ride. Rough water and you have to keep the nose down, no problem, the power steer does all the work. Sharp turns can actually be TOO sharp if you aren’t used to running the power steer, but once you get the hang of it they are no problem. I can’t imagine running a tiller without it any more. waytogo

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Of course, if the Pro Tiller II system would allow Warrior to return the V1890 Backtroller to the days of 140-150hp motors, THEN they’d have a huge competitive advantage.

HRG

CaptainMusky

I am wondering when someone will introduce a foot pedal for the throttle.
    That definitely looks like a sweet system though!

sticker

Of course, if the Pro Tiller II system would allow Warrior to return the V1890 Backtroller to the days of 140-150hp motors, THEN they’d have a huge competitive advantage.

HRG

I am lucky I got mine before the coast guard did away with that. I only have the 115 on my 1890, but it’s plenty good for speed and take off and idles down real well for trolling. I couldn’t imagine how quick a 140hp would be on the 1890.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I am lucky I got mine before the coast guard did away with that. I only have the 115 on my 1890, but it’s plenty good for speed and take off and idles down real well for trolling. I couldn’t imagine how quick a 140hp would be on the 1890.

I drove an older one with a 140 suzuki that my buddy has and I was surprised it wasn’t as fast as I thought it would be. I can’t remember the exact speed, but I think it was right around 40MPH. Could’ve been the propping on it though too. I believe they are getting 36-38 out of the 90HP Yamaha.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Pat,
    I realize that Warrior wants to sell hulls, but somebody really needs to convince them to sell the Pro Tiller II system as a stand-alone product. There are guys out there that want a tiller power-steering option for non-Mercury motors, heck even the Skeeter WX2000T/115hp would be an ideal candidate for the system.

HRG

just to be clear, I am not advocating that the use of any PS system will allow installation of a higher than rated outboard. There are users that just want the ease of use with a fully-powered system.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

This was one of the first systems out there. How long has it been around. Patents only last 17 years I believe.

Dave in Walker
    just off of Leech

I have a 2009 1890 with the 140 Suzuki, could not be happier, unless I could get a 2090. Love the steering, still have to be careful that you do not do a quick oversteer. Mine does about 40 mph which I never do, too fast for me

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

I drove an older one with a 140 suzuki that my buddy has and I was surprised it wasn’t as fast as I thought it would be. I can’t remember the exact speed, but I think it was right around 40MPH. Could’ve been the propping on it though too. I believe they are getting 36-38 out of the 90HP Yamaha.

Correct. I could get about 42 or so out of mine with just me in the boat and the perfect light chop. 2 guys and gear you’d be at 37 or so.

It is a fantastic steering system once you get used to it (and it doesn’t take long).

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pat,
    I realize that Warrior wants to sell hulls, but somebody really needs to convince them to sell the Pro Tiller II system as a stand-alone product. There are guys out there that want a tiller power-steering option for non-Mercury motors, heck even the Skeeter WX2000T/115hp would be an ideal candidate for the system.

HRG

just to be clear, I am not advocating that the use of any PS system will allow installation of a higher than rated outboard. There are users that just want the ease of use with a fully-powered system.

You are my hero! waytogo p

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You are my hero! waytogo p

I threw that Skeeter reference in there just for you. I’ll take a bag of F-F cashews next time we meet,,,,,,

HRG

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lol done!!

btrig

Pat,
    You are running the boat I am looking to buy !

I was also curious about the pro tiller steering in tight navigational situations. Good to see everyone is happy with it. It does look like it would definitely take some getting used to. I have some questions with regard to the combination you are running that I hope you can answer.

1) how does that 150 steer and handle with the system off ?
    2) Does Pro tiller need two batteries like Merc suggests for their system ?
    3) Is VTS available on the 150 SHO ?
    4) What kind of speed are you getting with the SHO ?
    5) Do you have trim tabs and are trim tabs required on that set up ?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat McSharry wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

Correct. I could get about 42 or so out of mine with just me in the boat and the perfect light chop. 2 guys and gear you’d be at 37 or so.

It is a fantastic steering system once you get used to it (and it doesn’t take long).

This surprises me a little. I get 39 out of my 115 with just me in it and about 36-37 with 2 guys and gear. Not nearly the difference I expected. Makes me even happier with my choice now.

sticker

This was one of the first systems out there. How long has it been around. Patents only last 17 years I believe.

Mine is a 2004, but I have the Pro Tiller steering not the Pro Tiller II, so maybe they can renew the patent with whatever they upgraded.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat,
    You are running the boat I am looking to buy !

I was also curious about the pro tiller steering in tight navigational situations. Good to see everyone is happy with it. It does look like it would definitely take some getting used to. I have some questions with regard to the combination you are running that I hope you can answer.

2) Does Pro tiller need two batteries like Merc suggests for their system ?
    3) Is VTS available on the 150 SHO ?
    4) What kind of speed are you getting with the SHO ?
    5) Do you have trim tabs and are trim tabs required on that set up ?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

1) When the system is brand new it is pretty tight and the steering is relatively stiff. Once you have some hours on it steering the big motor it loosens up and steers very easy and smooth. It still has some resistance because it has to move the hydraulic fluid when you steer. I like this because when you let go of it, it doesn’t swing around. It stays right where you left it. That’s pretty important when you are using the big motor for back trolling or forward trolling.

2) The Pro Tiller II system only uses 1 battery.

3) The 150 SHO has the ability to have VTS, but doesn’t come standard on it. You would need to upgrade to digital gauges for the VTS to work.

4) Top speed is in the 44-45 range. It doesn’t matter what you have in it, you will always see 40+ out of it

5) I do have Trim Tabs on my boat. Although they aren’t required, I would definitely miss them if I didn’t have them.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I may have misinterpreted that. You can run the motor without the steering system on. It’s really not that torquey. That being said the faster you adopt the power steering system the happier you will be.

btrig

Pat,

Thanks very much for the info. One more question, what pitch and kind of prop are you running ?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

17 pitch reliance

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

After many years with the 1890 rated for a 140, why did the coast guard decide to lower the hp rating To 90?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

After many years with the 1890 rated for a 140, why did the coast guard decide to lower the hp rating To 90?

Govermental interpretation ! Big brother looking out for you kraig ! :]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.