Lead and Yotes

• marsh_monster
    Metro

Looking to get out this weekend before the rest of the family shows up. My brother brought up the point about rifles in southern zones like Belle Plaine and Jordan area(this would be private ground). He says he doesnt think that we can use rifles even though we are hunting yotes. Also if its public land we wont be able to use lead…so rifles on public land is a no go?

marsh_monster
    Metro

Yes, Jordan and Belle Plaine area.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Let me start by saying I’ve not read the regulations but NOTHING surprises me anymore in Mn. However, a lead ban on rifles shells would be new to me. As for rifles in that zone, I’m not surprised IF they are banned.

marsh_monster
    Metro

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Looks like I will be emailing the local CO.

deertracker

This is all I can find in the regulation book.
    “Unprotected Mammals
    Weasels, coyotes, gophers, porcupines, striped skunks, and all other mammals for which there are no closed seasons or other protection are unprotected animals. They may be taken in any manner, except with the aid of artificial lights or by using a motor vehicle to drive, chase, run over, or kill the animal.”

I asked a CO about coyote laws one time and he said there basically isn’t any.
    DT

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

If you want to use lights at night you must use a shotgun.
    I cant find it right now but i believe you cant use a rifle to hunt coyote during the firearms season if you possess a gun tag.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.