It is getting time for some coyote hunting

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

As soon as the deer season is over, I will be ready for some predator hunting. I have the gun .22-250 all sighted in and cleaned. I found all my hand calls gathered up and my snow camo ready as well. All I need now is time o get out and bang/flop the furry critters

jeff_hansen

Hey Am,

Have you had much luck w/ the hand calls… I’ve been out a bit the last couple of years but I’m still waiting for the first to come runnin’… caught 12 in snares last year, though.

jeff_hansen

Hey Am,

Have you had much luck w/ the hand calls… I’ve been out a bit the last couple of years but I’m still waiting for the first to come runnin’… caught 12 in snares last year, though.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I offered this last year and I will offer again. Anyone who wants to hunt yotes after Mid December, can hunt my land and my neighbors. I will make arrangements to get you on. Every year a few get shot and we seem to have more each year.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I offered this last year and I will offer again. Anyone who wants to hunt yotes after Mid December, can hunt my land and my neighbors. I will make arrangements to get you on. Every year a few get shot and we seem to have more each year.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We use a variety of calls including a PreyMaster digital, Dennis Kirk tape caller, and me on the hand calls. I myself like to use the hand calls more. The reason being is I can put some “emotion” in the calls. The prey Master digital has the same cadence and sounds “fake” to me. The tape caller is decent because the the tapes are made from real animals or from pros calling with hand calls.
    As far as calling in the wooded areas around here, I am getting better every year, but it is tough. I grew up calling coyotes in Wyoming and the plains of northeast Colorado. It is 100 times easier and success rates go way up in the West. I managed to call in 4 coyotes last year with one set being a double around the LaCrosse area.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We use a variety of calls including a PreyMaster digital, Dennis Kirk tape caller, and me on the hand calls. I myself like to use the hand calls more. The reason being is I can put some “emotion” in the calls. The prey Master digital has the same cadence and sounds “fake” to me. The tape caller is decent because the the tapes are made from real animals or from pros calling with hand calls.
    As far as calling in the wooded areas around here, I am getting better every year, but it is tough. I grew up calling coyotes in Wyoming and the plains of northeast Colorado. It is 100 times easier and success rates go way up in the West. I managed to call in 4 coyotes last year with one set being a double around the LaCrosse area.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Scott you offering free guide services

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Scott you offering free guide services

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Same here, down in my neck of the woods. We got to get rid of them. There isn’t a land owner around that will deny you access, as long as you talk to them about what you are using to hunt with and when you will be on the property.

I too, can hook people up on who to talk to to rid these dang things!!!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Same here, down in my neck of the woods. We got to get rid of them. There isn’t a land owner around that will deny you access, as long as you talk to them about what you are using to hunt with and when you will be on the property.

I too, can hook people up on who to talk to to rid these dang things!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Am…I just sighted in my 17 HMR. That should be enough to whack a yote I would think.

Ps as I was clicking in the bullseye…some guy next to me let go on a 50 cal…well, that’s what it sounded like….hence the flyer.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Am…I just sighted in my 17 HMR. That should be enough to whack a yote I would think.

Ps as I was clicking in the bullseye…some guy next to me let go on a 50 cal…well, that’s what it sounded like….hence the flyer.

herb
    6ft under

Briank, because of the natural rise of the bullet as it leaves the muzzel, you really should be more than 3ft away from the target when sighting in that rifle.
    Scott, for every yote you take down, there are 5 more waiting to take it’s place. God’s law I think.

herb
    6ft under

Briank, because of the natural rise of the bullet as it leaves the muzzel, you really should be more than 3ft away from the target when sighting in that rifle.
    Scott, for every yote you take down, there are 5 more waiting to take it’s place. God’s law I think.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Briank-That is a sweet group from a very nice shooting gun. My buddy has one and it a blast to plink with. I am very surprised with the damage a small round can do. I know it really messes up squirrels But, it also drops a coon without a problem. One thing I liked about it so far is the small entrance hole, serious internal damage, and it has not had a pass through yet on coons For calling situations, I have no doubt that it can and will put the hurt on a coyote

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Briank-That is a sweet group from a very nice shooting gun. My buddy has one and it a blast to plink with. I am very surprised with the damage a small round can do. I know it really messes up squirrels But, it also drops a coon without a problem. One thing I liked about it so far is the small entrance hole, serious internal damage, and it has not had a pass through yet on coons For calling situations, I have no doubt that it can and will put the hurt on a coyote

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

How much are people getting for ‘yotes these days?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

How much are people getting for ‘yotes these days?

herb
    6ft under

25.00 down here if you keep them alive. Some hound men will buy them for training their dogs. Otherwise about an 8.00 to 10.00 ave. Not worth keeping the knife sharp for that.

herb
    6ft under

25.00 down here if you keep them alive. Some hound men will buy them for training their dogs. Otherwise about an 8.00 to 10.00 ave. Not worth keeping the knife sharp for that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Leave it to you to see the powder burns Herb!

Quote:

No exit hole

That’s one of the reasons I was interested in this cal. If I miss…(never happens) the bullet turns to powder as soon as it hits anything. I like the thought of shooting at a crow and not haveing to worry about the lead going through the crow, hitting a rock and then going into someones house a mile down the road.

I haven’t tried it on a grapefruit yet…but from what I heard…grapefruit juice! And what else are grapefruits good for?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Leave it to you to see the powder burns Herb!

Quote:

No exit hole

That’s one of the reasons I was interested in this cal. If I miss…(never happens) the bullet turns to powder as soon as it hits anything. I like the thought of shooting at a crow and not haveing to worry about the lead going through the crow, hitting a rock and then going into someones house a mile down the road.

I haven’t tried it on a grapefruit yet…but from what I heard…grapefruit juice! And what else are grapefruits good for?

jeff_hansen

grapefruit, oranges, tamaters,… all are a blast to shoot at. Set a few up at 100 – 200 yds and you’ve got yourself a juice bar.

jeff_hansen

grapefruit, oranges, tamaters,… all are a blast to shoot at. Set a few up at 100 – 200 yds and you’ve got yourself a juice bar.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

is it illegal to bait coyotes??

for example take the deer carcas and hunt over it?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

is it illegal to bait coyotes??

for example take the deer carcas and hunt over it?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

While it is not illegal to hunt over them, it is illegal to trap near a bait pile. Put them all in a pile out in the field or the woods and they will come. You may never see them, but they will clean the pile up

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

While it is not illegal to hunt over them, it is illegal to trap near a bait pile. Put them all in a pile out in the field or the woods and they will come. You may never see them, but they will clean the pile up

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Took a drive to Cabela’s in PdC yesterday afternoon. Picked up the Cabela’s brand cassette game caller. I also picked up a few tapes to add to the collection my buddy and I have. As soon as it gets cold and deer hunting is done, I will be doing some serious driving and walking to get some critters I also need to get a few new hand calls for this year. A person can never have enough calls

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.