Power loading?

• Beast

all you got to say “really?, do the wake boats have to follow the same rules when they pull the from the lake in the fall?”

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Well power loading is the fastest way to load a boat. We all know about the impatient people in line that think it should be done FASTER!! whistling

This statement is Very true…

LabDaddy1

Richard if in Minnesota.

Was posted it is illegal in Baileys Harbor when I was there. Kind of sucked cuz it was a shallow launch and I was close to muffler bubbling.

Is end of tailpipe in the water a bad thing? I’ve done it a couple times now at Prescott. I was hesitant the first time but other fisherman at dock assured me it’s fine as long as engine is running.

Coletrain27

Is end of tailpipe in the water a bad thing? I’ve done it a couple times now at Prescott. I was hesitant the first time but other fisherman at dock assured me it’s fine as long as engine is running.

Tail pipe in the water is not going to hurt anything. If you go deep enough that your rear end vent tube is covered then your going to get water in your rear end which won’t be fun

LabDaddy1

I always keep my rear end vent tube covered up when in public… thought it was only the decent thing to do whistling

Thanks for the response

Tom schmitt

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>
    My two most favorite local lakes have both had their landings rebuilt twice in the last 5 years because power loading destroyed them. Both had prominent signage prohibiting it. So so much for that. Question: Why should us locals have to pay(with higher taxes) for the reckless damage caused by the selfish few? If you can unload your boat without power, you should be able to load it via a hand winch. A little respect for the community and its resources goes a long way. Is it any wonder why the out-of-towners are met with so much contempt?

I have never seen any damage done to the Ramp itself by power loading. It does create a ridge behind where the motor sits. But can’t see how any damage could happen to the ramp itself from it.

I used to maintain a ramp in the metro. Small lake.
    The power loading washed out a giant hole at the back of the ramp. Next it started taking the base out from under the ramp. Finaly the concrete slabs broke loose, tipped and stood on end.
    Power loading for long durations at higher power ruins ramps.
    Back in. Get your bunks wet. Pull up if needed and drive on with as little power as possible.

Musky Ed

Not illegal in Wi if not posted. I power load mine all the time where I fish in Door county, but they have fantastic long concrete ramps.
    Actually, doesn’t take a lot of throttle to do it if your trailer is right. Boat usually stops with about 4″ or so to go up and I then just leave the boat in gear at idle and winch that 4″ or so.
    I have a 22″ walleye boat, and have replaced the winch with a two speed one. Sometimes I’m at ramps where there are signs not to power load and I respect that, though I do leave the boat in gear when idling on the trailer and winching up and never have had an issue with onlookers. As long as it’s just idling when coming on the trailer, they don’t seem to have an issue with that. If it’s really an issue where you are at, buy a 2 speed winch, it’s truly unbelievable as to how easy your boat will winch up a bunk trailer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Keep in mind the majority of these ramps were installed when a 14′ boat and 60hp motor was the norm. Now that $17 billion has been made available to the state flood the DNR with calls demanding ramps be brought up to 2023 standards.

Does MNDOT upgrade roads when traffic & conditions warrant it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m still curious as of what dee had said, do we not like out of towners, and at what point are we considered a out of towner ? Or are we just looking for a scape goat of some form.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

buy a 2 speed winch, it’s truly unbelievable as to how easy your boat will winch up a bunk trailer.

Didn’t even know this was a thing. Will be looking into it.

queenswake
    NULL

I think the cat is already out of the bag when it comes to power loading. More boats than ever are on bunk trailers now. Dealers even recommend them to people all the way down to 16 foot aluminum boats. Not long ago, 100% of aluminum boats where on rollers. Today, when everyone has bunks, on top of all of the wake board and pleasure boats who have always had them, trying to get people to not power load is a think of the past.

I don’t know what the answer is.

duh queen

Both were undermined by “power loader snobs” who apparently went full throttle trying to push their boats onto trailers rather than bump them the last few inches. By undermining the back section of the ramp, it tilted the leading edge up more than a foot, causing damage to a number of trailers operated by unsuspecting drivers. They replaced the damages slabs only to have the same selfish clowns damage the new ones. Personally, I think they should have been fined to pay for the replacements and banished. But unfortunately, they were from a loud mouthed affluent(read effluent) family with political connections. Hence the contempt I mentioned. I’ve also witnessed the same folks dump garbage out of their car and drive off. flame flame flame flame flame

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m also confused as to how power loading would require anything more than ~15% throttle. I guess I “power-load” all the time, I come in hot up to the point I’m about to hit my trailer, back off throttle to just over idle. The boat runs up the trailer (roller) and sits exactly where I want it. I leave throttle where it is at about 15%, hop onto my trailer and snap the strap onto the eyelet, and winch up until I have tension. Then I kill the motor, then finish winching the 6-7 cranks to get my boat seated where it needs to be. Then pull it out. You wouldn’t even know I’m “power-loading” with how quiet modern 4 strokes are.

I guess I’m only doing this on the river where I find it necessary, not on small lakes where loading and unloading are easier than finding a parking spot.

Musky Ed

Mine is a Fulton. Same brand as came on the boat. Bought it back in 2019 for my other wx2200, bolts up the same. Pulls a 22′ walleye boat up like you were winching up a 14′ john boat. Paid about $175 then, i think about $200-$225 now

Attachments:
    1. 20230901_132915.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The boat runs up the trailer (roller)

A roller trailer is different than one with bunks. The OP is specifically referring to power loading with a bunk trailer.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Mine is a Fulton. Same brand as came on the boat. Bought it back in 2019 for my other wx2200, bolts up the same. Pulls a 22′ walleye boat up like you were winching up a 14′ john boat. Paid about $175 then, i think about $200-$225 now

Thanks for posting that sir! Will check it out. waytogo

Baitwaster
    South metro

I dont think most of the powerloading issues come from bunk trailers. Cracking the throttle to slide it a little further up probably doesn’t do a whole lot of damage.

Now on the other hand, SOME that PL with a roller trailer “need” the throttle half open to hold it in place so the boat doesn’t roll (God forbid) a foot away from the winch. Behind them is the whirlpool of destruction. Back in little further. Or get a drotto or other boat catch.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think the cat is already out of the bag when it comes to power loading. More boats than ever are on bunk trailers now. Dealers even recommend them to people all the way down to 16 foot aluminum boats. Not long ago, 100% of aluminum boats where on rollers. Today, when everyone has bunks, on top of all of the wake board and pleasure boats who have always had them, trying to get people to not power load is a think of the past.

I don’t know what the answer is.

The answer is people need to learn how to Power Load correctly, as already outlined. It takes barely more than an idle, is fast, and takes only 8-10” of cranking the boat at most…all while displacing no sediment

tim hurley

I’ll chime in on the ‘out of towners’ If you travel a bit to get to your lake spend a little money out there, go to a bait shop out there buy that pop that might be 10 cents cheaper at your Costco. If I had the chance to contribute to a fund to maintain an access I would do it.
    BTW I have been on lakes with shallow accesses where PL has made the access deeper and easier to use, blowing out rock can go too far I’m sure so this thread has been informative.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Both were undermined by “power loader snobs” who apparently went full throttle trying to push their boats onto trailers rather than bump them the last few inches. By undermining the back section of the ramp, it tilted the leading edge up more than a foot, causing damage to a number of trailers operated by unsuspecting drivers. They replaced the damages slabs only to have the same selfish clowns damage the new ones. Personally, I think they should have been fined to pay for the replacements and banished. But unfortunately, they were from a loud mouthed affluent(read effluent) family with political connections. Hence the contempt I mentioned.

Sounds like they don’t know how to build a ramp and set the footings

MX1825

Dee did you report them on the litter issue?

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My new boat has a bunk trailer and I have always just power loaded it. Never had an issue with inspectors or others at the landing until last night. There was a couple sitting on the dock (not fishing or with a boat) and my wife got the boat on the trailer then I hopped in and power loaded it. The guy on the dock stated saying how I shouldn’t power load and how it wrecks the access. He also said something about the DNR ticketing boaters for doing it. I didn’t really engage with him and just said with a bunk trailer there are not many options. Now there are no signs against power loading at this access and I have used it for years and have seen many others do the same thing here. So those with bunk trailers are there other options I’m not aware of (first bunk trailer for me) or was this guy just being a Richard?

Does your trailer have a winch? That is an option. I have never power loaded my boat. Not once. Back in far enough to get bunks wet then pull forward to the depth you need. Drive or rope pull the boat in, hook the strap and start cranking. Takes less than a minute. The wet carpet helps a lot.

Stanley

My trailer has a winch and the last couple days I have been getting the trailer deeper (fenders just below the water line) and that seems to help. I can get the boat about a foot or so from the winch post with minimal throttle and then just winch up the rest of the way.

tim hurley

Oooh gotta buy that wench Musky, thanks.
    This thread inspired me to use my knee high rubber boots in the shallow launch I was at yesterday, no power loading needed.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Here’s my procedure with an Alumacraft Classic 165, 50 hp tiller, roller trailer:
    1. Back the trailer in so the front end of the fenders are at the surface of the water.
    2. Pull the winch strap out 2-3 feet and let it hang down. Flip the winch ratchet pawl on.
    3. Drive the boat slowly onto the trailer until it stops.
    4. Tilt the motor up to so it’s not pointing directly at the lake bottom and give it some throttle to get it farther onto the trailer.
    5. Walk up to the bow, reach down, grab the strap and snap it into the bow eye. Spin the winch up snug.
    6. Walk back to the stern, kill the motor and tilt it up.
    7. Walk to the bow, step from the spare tire to the trailer frame and then to the ramp.
    8. Crank boat up to the winch stop, clip the safety chain, pull out of the way, pull the drain plug, put on the rear straps, clean the trailer of weeds and go home.

Tyler Hammer

I don’t see a problem with power loading. Never had anyone say other wise either. I go 3/4 to full throttle until its up then turn the motor to get it perfectly centered. If I back down too far it doesn’t get centered and the metal bracket that holds the spare tire hits the hull witch left a pretty good gouge. The ramps I go to are plenty long.

Tom schmitt

Footings? Sounds like you have never built a public boat ramp.

3Rivers

well 95% of the problem here is that nobody has the same boat and same trailer and same tow vehicle. It’s all variables. Rollers, bunks, pontoons, jets, trucks, cars, suvs. There’s a best practice for each scenario but none the same.

Unless I want to put on hip boots every time, it’s nearly impossible to not give my boat a little throttle assisted “nudge”.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Footings? Sounds like you have never built a public boat ramp.

The long precast concrete pieces they set in place are considered a footing. I am well aware of what I’m talking about. Been working water ways a long time. Been cutting those pieces for 13 years plus.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.