Power loading?

• Stanley

My new boat has a bunk trailer and I have always just power loaded it. Never had an issue with inspectors or others at the landing until last night. There was a couple sitting on the dock (not fishing or with a boat) and my wife got the boat on the trailer then I hopped in and power loaded it. The guy on the dock stated saying how I shouldn’t power load and how it wrecks the access. He also said something about the DNR ticketing boaters for doing it. I didn’t really engage with him and just said with a bunk trailer there are not many options. Now there are no signs against power loading at this access and I have used it for years and have seen many others do the same thing here. So those with bunk trailers are there other options I’m not aware of (first bunk trailer for me) or was this guy just being a Richard?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

It depends on what state and what body of water. I have a bunk and never try to power load hard. I bring the boat on the trailer if the trailer is in the correct depth of water you have less then a foot to crank it up. Powerloading can be really hard on landings especially shallow ones when powerloading builds a burm behind the boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve occasionally heard of power loading restrictions but they are clearly posted at the access. I’m sure if its posted you could get cited for it, if a LEO caught you doing it of course.

As for the Richard on the dock, tell him to watch his own bobber.

Sometimes power loading in shallow water when we’re in a drought (like now) can create a pile of gravel/sand/rocks in a specific spot at the access from people constantly power loading. If the water is clear enough, you can often see this pile of rubble.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’d say he’s being a Richard.
    I always power load and I have a roller trailer. If someone gives me a hard time I just ask them if they would like to stand in the lake and crank it up by hand for me. That generally ends the conversation.

uninc4709

I just usually crank mine up without issues with the trailer backed into the water?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Being a Richard for sure! If it’s posted then it is what it is. I usually still power load it but try to be respectful and not do it to much. If needed you can load it like any other trailer just has to be in the water further and you can crank it up just fine.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I thought it was illegal in WI. For sure illegal on ramps at LBDN and Oconto.

For our private ramp on Mille Lacs. If it wasn’t for power loading, the ramp would be too shallow to use most years.

-J.

Stanley

With my last boat and roller I always cranked it up by hand but I didn’t have to stand in the lake to do it. I will try to get the trailer deeper and see how that works but then the back of the boat floats around and can become off center. If I can find a better method then great but I know many other boaters load this way so just wanted to confirm I was in the right. This is in MN and was a brainerd area lake.

Charles

The biggest thing is blowing out the ramp, however I don’t think the little boats make a big dent versus some of these off shore or big wake boats. I always have loaded my boats in front of inspectors, dnr and sheriffs and no complaints so far. Just watch for signs, I know Michigan is a no power load state.

I do have a small boat now that I have to crank on.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Check out white bear or coon lake sometime. Those get beat up by power loading pretty bad. Huge pile of sediment behind the deep hole caused by power loading. I personally dont care at all but I could see a low water year making it tough to launch some bigger boats.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No doubt it negatively impacts the landing but seams to be an acceptable evil.

Ripjiggen

Richard if in Minnesota.

Was posted it is illegal in Baileys Harbor when I was there. Kind of sucked cuz it was a shallow launch and I was close to muffler bubbling.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think Power Loading is the best way when done correctly for a bunk trailer and won’t cause launch damage.

The “Power” part is up for interpretation. The guys who go 1/2 throttle plus for 5 seconds are doing it incorrectly and causing launch issues.

I back into the correct depth, hop into my boat and nudge it on by being just in gear at idle speed, give it the slightest bump that barely makes a ripple when it rests and centers itself, kill the motor and step out and crank it 8-10″. Throwing a baseball sized rock into the water would cause more waves or displacement yet it’s still easier and faster than cranking it a ways on.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Check out white bear or coon lake sometime. Those get beat up by power loading pretty bad.

The North Coon Lake landing if you go back to far your axel will land on the concrete because the hole is so deep.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The North Coon Lake landing if you go back to far your axel will land on the concrete because the hole is so deep.

Watched a couple guys do that on a busy day.

Ripjiggen

I think Power Loading is the best way when done correctly for a bunk trailer and won’t cause launch damage.

The “Power” part is up for interpretation. The guys who go 1/2 throttle plus for 5 seconds are doing it incorrectly and causing launch issues.

I back into the correct depth, hop into my boat and nudge it on by being just in gear at idle speed, give it the slightest bump that barely makes a ripple when it rests and centers itself, kill the motor and step out and crank it 8-10″. Throwing a baseball sized rock into the water would cause more waves or displacement yet it’s still easier and faster than cranking it a ways on.

This.

Riverrat

It doesn’t take much in some bottoms to create a hole that sucks in the launch. Really depends on the bottom though. Never heard of a LEO giving a ticket though.

duh queen

My two most favorite local lakes have both had their landings rebuilt twice in the last 5 years because power loading destroyed them. Both had prominent signage prohibiting it. So so much for that. Question: Why should us locals have to pay(with higher taxes) for the reckless damage caused by the selfish few? If you can unload your boat without power, you should be able to load it via a hand winch. A little respect for the community and its resources goes a long way. Is it any wonder why the out-of-towners are met with so much contempt?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My two most favorite local lakes have both had their landings rebuilt twice in the last 5 years because power loading destroyed them. Both had prominent signage prohibiting it. So so much for that. Question: Why should us locals have to pay(with higher taxes) for the reckless damage caused by the selfish few? If you can unload your boat without power, you should be able to load it via a hand winch. A little respect for the community and its resources goes a long way. Is it any wonder why the out-of-towners are met with so much contempt?

I have never seen any damage done to the Ramp itself by power loading. It does create a ridge behind where the motor sits. But can’t see how any damage could happen to the ramp itself from it.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>

I have never seen any damage done to the Ramp itself by power loading. It does create a ridge behind where the motor sits. But can’t see how any damage could happen to the ramp itself from it.

Not trying to start an argument but yes power loading depending on the ramp can definetly ruin it. I launch a 21′ fishing boat and most landings concrete stop just behind the tires of the trailer. When power loading the propulsion from the prop will erode the material at the end of the concrete ramp. As others have said then longer boats have a tendency to fall off of the back of the ramp into the hole. Every landing is different and some are not affected by power loading. If you are power loading your boat 8′ up your trailer you need to learn how to load your boat. Very steep landings can be a challeng both ways.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I do agree with all you say. But the out of towners? Do we not like them ? Are they some power loading sobs ?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think a lot of the ramps could use a little power loading to blow out all the sediment. They are really shallow these days anyway. Joking, kind of.

I drive onto my bunks, then give it a bit more to push the boat up within a couple feet of winch. Then hand winch it up the rest of the way. Kind of a soft and short power load.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can you explain the damage that power loading caused to the ramp and why it was deemed that power loading was the culprit?

Honestly curious.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>

I have loaded this boat the same way anywhere from 100 miles from home to the access 1/4 mile from home so whats your point? I’m sitting on the whitefish chain right now watching all the out of towners and their money supporting the local economy(with their tax dollars). Maybe we should just ban all bunk trailers so we wouldn’t have this problem?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Can you explain the damage that power loading caused to the ramp and why it was deemed that power loading was the culprit?

Honestly curious.

When you gun the engine to push the boat up to the wench, sand and silt at the end of the ramp is blown back away from the prop. Enough boats blow the sand and silt out you get a deep depression at the end of the ramp that trailer wheels fall into if the boater backs in further than the concrete. The sand and silt also forms a ridge that can cause boats or lower unit to bottom out approaching their trailer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Honestly curious.

The berm created has to come from somewhere. All that gravel and sediment comes from in front of the motor where the concrete slabs end. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a ramp completely exposed from low water but many times the last slab or two can be found sunk and falling away from the rest of them. As someone else mentioned, people with larger boats now risk running their trailer off the bottom of the ramp if this damage gets too severe.

Years ago the boom site launch had a huge blowout hole leaving only about 1-2’ of water on the backside of the hole. Lots of people, including myself bounced the skeg off this berm while loading the boat. I’d imagine boats with a deep draft could actually run aground and get stuck. That’s an extreme case but you get the idea.

Cranking your boat up 12-18” is the right way to do it. A slight power load to get the boat to “stick” to the bunks is probably OK but a 1/2 throttle power load will cause issues at almost any landing.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just give it a little bump and then crank the rest of the way. I figured that type of damage at the end of the concrete is what he was referring too. That being said, I see more pleasure boats than fishing boats power loading.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t do any hand cranking at all when loading. I back my trailer in far enough so I can drive the boat far enough forward at minimum speed so that the v of the hull snugs right up against the bow roller. Then I latch it.

Maybe my boat can draft shallower than others. No reason to hammer on the throttle while loading.

MX1825

Well power loading is the fastest way to load a boat. We all know about the impatient people in line that think it should be done FASTER!! whistling

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Check out white bear or coon lake sometime. Those get beat up by power loading pretty bad. Huge pile of sediment behind the deep hole caused by power loading. I personally dont care at all but I could see a low water year making it tough to launch some bigger boats.

Hasn’t the past decade been a collective low water year on WBL? I can safely drive my impact in waters as low as 1.5 ft and even that was a major challenge the one and only time I ever brought it there. Would have been better off parking it in my kid’s pool.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.