porch roof question for you guys.

• buschman
    Pool 2

Definitely not legal in Mn. We’re right out of the irc. I’m an inspector for a twin cities suburb.

What would be the best thing to do at this point? I can get another section of 2×8. Remove the inside beam and double up that inside beam.

I guess my question is what would you guys do to make it code?? I haven not tied the rafters to the beam yet so can still adjust if needed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a tough one to answer. I would triple the 2×8 and nail it the way Randy mentioned

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

most quality lumber yards can run beam calcs for you

buschman
    Pool 2

That’s a tough one to answer. I would triple the 2×8 and nail it the way Randy mentioned

I took the advise you guys had and rebuilt the beam. I laminated 3 2x8s together and attached the rafter ties to the inside of the beam. I added a 1×8 of cedar on the inside of the beam so it has a nice clean finish board and helped hide the rafter ties. I think it turned out nice. I am running 1×3 cedar strips across the top for securing the poly roofing. I will get that done tonight or tomorrow after the wind dies down. It is still a work in progress anyways. I have to finish sealing all the rafters and that inside board on the beam but might wait till spring to do that. It will be covered so should be fine till then. Thanks again for the advise!!

Attachments:
    1. roof-frame.jpg

2. roof-frame-2.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looks good, now the race to wrap up before 2’ if snow dumps on ya

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    Didn’t know where he was at and was very clear every time in WI. MN is about 10 years behind us, so beware, change in coming jester jester jester jester

I’m not concerned, as I prefer to install laminated anyway. However the only beams I’ve ever needed to replace were laminated. They rotted from the inside out because they didn’t allow the water to dry out between them. Wouldnt even know they were rotting until it started showing itself on the ends. Cut it in half and there was less than 1/2″ of wood remaining on the faces. Which is why I now place flashing tape on the top of all exterior beams I install.

Munchy, any recommemdation on brand of flashing tape to use? I will be building a deck and going to install on beams.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Looks nice buschman!

munchy
    NULL

Munchy, any recommemdation on brand of flashing tape to use? I will be building a deck and going to install on beams.

I use Deck Flash, available at Menards. Mainly because it is easily available and totally black with no print on the face. There are probably better options out there but never found the need to search them out.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Thanks for the info

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.