Poor Dog killed by Wolves

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Nature sucks sometimes…

Jonesy

Sad for sure but his fear mongering is a bit absurd

craig s

I have a houndsman friend who chased bobcat in Mn each fall.over the years he had lost a couple dogs and fixed up a few from close calls with wolves.he always says it’s part of the game, wolves were here first.
    I admire the fact he doesn’t think they should be eradicated because of human interaction.
    I tend to agree…

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I wonder how many pets around the country other pet dogs have killed?

munchy
    NULL

My opinion, if you don’t want your pet killed by wildlife don’t leave them outside unattended.

Ma nature can be a bich sometimes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My opinion, if you don’t want your pet killed by wildlife don’t leave them outside unattended.

Ma nature can be a bich sometimes.

That was my thought.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Remember the three S …… shoot shovel and shut up.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Remember the three S …… shoot shovel and shut up.

I see you already forgot an S. May not be the wisest thing to suggest illegal activity on a public forum.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wonder how many dogs are killed by traffic on an annual basis. We should probably get rid of all cars, too.

I love dogs–it’s sad, and I would be upset if I lost my dog to a wolf, too, but you’ve got to accept some risk if you let your dog outside. Would it have made you feel better if it were gored by a rutting deer or trampled by a moose?

As self-proclaimed sportsmen, promoting the eradication of wolves and/or the illegal killing of them is sickening.

catnip
    south metro

It is sad to lose a dog to NATURE. we should probably outlaw cars because they kill so many deer and squirrels or maby we should kill all the deer and moose so no more innocent people Hafta die? That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard Come out of a so called outdoors person. If it weren’t for wolves you wouldn’t have that cute little helpless inbred version of it you call a dog.

munchy
    NULL

I wonder how many dogs are killed by traffic on an annual basis. We should probably get rid of all cars, too.

I love dogs–it’s sad, and I would be upset if I lost my dog to a wolf, too, but you’ve got to accept some risk if you let your dog outside. Would it have made you feel better if it were gored by a rutting deer or trampled by a moose?

As self-proclaimed sportsmen, promoting the eradication of wolves and/or the illegal killing of them is sickening.

WOW! I had almost the exact same thing typed up last night but for some reason the voices in my head made me decide against posting it.

However, I’ll give that a big +1!

munchy
    NULL

it weren’t for wolves you wouldn’t have that cute little helpless inbred version of it you call a dog.

LOL!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

maybe the dog was picking on them in their safe zone…. ? geez some of these comments are so far one way, only to be lobbed back by one so far the other way… doah crazy nature at it’s cruelest, but nature none the less.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Too bad a former member who was obsessed with wolves isn’t still on here. coffee

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have to wonder where the dog’s owners stood (if indeed they even had a position or gave it any thought at all) on the growth of the wolf population in the Midwest.

My parents have seen several instances of nature lovers turned instant nature haters after coyotes killed their pets in/around their winter home in Arizona. It seems the common thread is these people never saw themselves as part of nature, nature was a separate world viewed by them through a looking glass that they thought they controlled.

Hopefully the point of this post it to warn others. Wolves are out there and our point of view should be the same as theirs: Humans, pets, etc are not special cases in nature. All the rules still apply.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

after coyotes killed their pets in/around their winter home in Arizona

Serves them right for letting a coyote in their house! )

Our yard is fenced in, but we walk out into the yard with the dogs in the morning when its still dark and at night. We are even observant during the day. We have enough feathered predators and although our dogs are too big for them, whose to know one won’t make the mistake and try and get them. I certainly don’t want a vet bill to stitch a dog up. Not to mention a possum, rat, armadillo could do some damage as well.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Not to mention a possum, rat, armadillo could do some damage as well.

My aunt and uncle’s dog got into it with an opossum. Granted, Ralphie was a small dog, but that opossum shredded him! It got very expensive.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Couple years ago on thew news during the summer a storm came through north metro. Few trees knocked down had an Eagles nest in it. They found 15 to 20 collars I forget now dogs and cats. It’s not just wolves

I have also seen a muskie eat poor fido fell off the dock swimming back to shore. Nature can be cruel at times but amazing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Granted, Ralphie was a small dog

Our poms are small. They did trap a possum one morning. That was a fun way to wake up, Michelle screaming hysterically, trying to control the dogs. Luckily it was a smaller one.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well then there’s this…Woman mauled by bear! This happened last Friday, should we shoot all the bears?? Bears gotta make a living and look out for their kids too!! mrgreen

WADENA COUNTY, Minn. – A northwest Minnesota woman is recalling a horrific bear attack.

The Wadena County Sheriff’s Office says it received a call around 10:15 p.m. Friday from a woman reporting she had been attacked by a bear at her home in Menahga.

Catherine Hanson, 59, said she was on the deck of her home calling for her dogs to come inside.

“All the sudden I’m standing here and here comes a bear,” Hanson said. “I don’t remember anything after seeing the bear.”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Any word on the dogs? coffee

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Any word on the dogs? coffee

Just found a couple collars in a pile of bear scat.

Attachments:
    1. Black-Bear-Attacks-On-Humans-Black-bears-bear-attack.jpg

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It really is just to bad why Wolves are considered an endangered species when they have just about a year round season on them in Canada.

So why are Wolves endangered could some one remind me??????

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I see that the link is already “dead”…….

I’ve lived the last 11 years in a packs territory outside of Cloquet, MN.
    They ate my next door neighbors beagle mix about 100′ from my back door a few years ago (which they let run loose most days).
    In those 11 years I have seen wolves 3 times near my house, and once more x-country skiing a couple miles north of it.

My yellow lab is loose when we are with it at home, and kenneled if we are not home. My best friend has a husky mix that runs loose constantly, and I wonder if one day he will stop coming to roughhouse with my Ammo. If you live in wolf country and know it, a few minimal precautions should be taken with dogs. They are a natural competitor/adversary to a wolf for the territory. If you are not willing to take a few precautions then its on you if your best buddy does not return one day IMHO….

craig s

It really is just to bad why Wolves are considered an endangered species when they have just about a year round season on them in Canada.

I would assume it’s due to the size of Canada and they have a lot more wolves than we do? Plus most of Canada isn’t developed..

big_g
    Isle, MN

they are endangered in the US supposedly, last I checked Alaska was in the US ??? (federally endangered) maybe more appropriately, they are not seeing them in Washington DC, so there must not be enough… crazy doah smirk

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Because the USFWS keeps their own statuses for wildlife within the country. In fact, they keep statuses for each state/regions for many animals/plants.

If you live in wolf country and know it, a few minimal precautions should be taken with dogs

What is your plan if you are out with your dog (Is Ammo his/her name?) and a wolf shows up? Just curious. I know I’d have a gun fairly accessible at all times.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The decision to delist the Great Lakes Region wolves was overturned by A Federal District judge named Beryl Howell. The delisting was found to be “arbitrary and capricious”. I believe wolves in MN are now classified as threatened which would require a federal trapper to remove nuisance animals to livestock. Not sure about WI.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.