We may be done on the Mississippi for the season

• pbitschura

Weather service predicts the rains yestrerday and today could put the river at flood stage very soon.There goes the fall fishing season.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Granted, its been a rough year but it seems pretty early to be giving up on the entire fall season. For all practical purposes, the fall fishing could be fantastic after the water drops down again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pool 4 prediction from today. Looks like we’re looking good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Somethings goofy. Pool 4 can’t stay the same if P2 is in Major Flood Stage!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

The fish still have to eat don’t they ?
    We just have to hunt for them.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Does this seem right?

River Forcast

Up 10 feet by mid week? I’ll believe it when I see it!

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I like your forecast much better Brian. The only positive I can get out of the one I looked at is at least I wont have as far to drive to get to the river.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

to early to give up

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Pretty sure I will still try a few times this fall

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Rain started here about 5:00 pm last evening and this morning a 7:00 am I checked my rain gauge and was overflowing. That should be 6″ plus. Since 7:00 we have gotten another inch+.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It’s all a ploy by the WI DNR. They know there are going to be a few guys telling them to stick there deer tags up there this season so they are doing whatever they can to take the fun out of fishing during this time

I agree, it’s a little early to call it a season. I’m heading for pool 4 come heck or high water during the WI deer gun season……fish on

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

You guys are welcome to come down here and catch those Illinois River sauger. We’re looking pretty good. Actually we would probably welcome a little rise……In the river that is!!!!! Glenn

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I was going to head to upper pool 4 tomorrow. Do you guys think it will even be worth the time?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This is a lousy cut-and-paste but here’s what Rivergages.com is showing for pool 2. That’s a very abrupt jump in the last few hours, but it’s still less than a foot.

Rootski

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Does this seem right?

River Forcast

-J.

Maybe not 10ft but let’s be honest. A lot of that rain that fell in Kato will end up dumping into pool2.

10ft, nah… however a noticeably significant rise in water and depletion of clarity I can believe.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does this seem right?

River Forcast

-J.

Maybe not 10ft but let’s be honest. A lot of that rain that fell in Kato will end up dumping into pool2.

10ft, nah… however a noticeably significant rise in water and depletion of clarity I can believe.

Can you clarify? Do you mean the rain is moving North or that it will? Or do you mean the river is going to flow North? That wouldn’t seem right. From the forecasts I saw, it didn’t look like the rain was moving North.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Can you clarify? Do you mean the rain is moving North or that it will? Or do you mean the river is going to flow North? That wouldn’t seem right. From the forecasts I saw, it didn’t look like the rain was moving North.

The Minnesota River which flows right into Pool2 in St Paul. All that rain has to go somewhere

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The MN river flows threw south central mn pretty close to some of the heavy rain areas. The MN then flows NE and meets up with the Mississippi in MPLS.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I was going to head to upper pool 4 tomorrow. Do you guys think it will even be worth the time?

IF the river went to the top of it’s banks…and it won’t, the tactics change a little by fishing closer to the shore, eddies and tributary areas.

Fish are lazy like people. They don’t want to fight the wind/current, so they move to areas where there’s less.

Last spring when everyone stayed home because of the high water…the locals (I won’t mention any names Hill People) where very pleased to have the river all to themselves.

I’ll be down pestering Dean all weekend and out fishing in the darkness of night.

~Catfishermen, we own the night!~

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I’ve been counting down the days for a month to get to fish P4. I’m down to 14 days right now. It’s raining on my parade

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

bring on the high water when ya find em its gonna be awesome

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Yes that’s true but it’s a big body of water and I’ve been there like twice I’m commonly on P9 but it’s like fishing in a bucket of grass. I don’t really even know my way around P4

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I am 100% positive the high water wont stop me from fishing…….again.

Hill people

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Well maybe by December????

jags

Do you folks think you could keep the gates closed for awhile? It was just – almost – getting to the point of normal in pool 12. The flow of pool 12 has been a real bugger to work with.

Please – just for a couple of weeks??

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

With the water rise that is predicted in St Paul we wont even have a chance to get out after those high water walleyes. Our ramps will be closed.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

With the water rise that is predicted in St Paul we wont even have a chance to get out after those high water walleyes. Our ramps will be closed.

Hey Dean……the ramps open

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I’m with Pete on this one. I can’t see 17′ by the end of the month; But if it does get that high we are gonna have to stay wet for it to sustain anywhere near that level. I think we will be ok.

Ok! I just looked ar rainfall amounts from around the state…. I would like to amend that last statement to I hope we will be ok.

dd

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Dean……the ramps open

By-golly YES and thanks for asking! Come on up & see what a deer looks like!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.