Hi Vis Question

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

I was using the hi-vis lines this year and really loved them. I dont plant on switching this year…but my question is this….do folks use a low vis leader or tie direct with the high-vis. I never used a leader last year and did ok….but I always like catching more fish!

thanks

Jason

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I tie directly to the lures. Haven’t had any need for a leader in the rivers. Clear lakes may be a different deal but I dont fish them enough to really know.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Hi Jason!
    I am a diehard Hi Vis mono guy for a long time. You do not need a leader to catch fish in stained water, like the Mississippi P-4, as in clear water. However I use an 8lb Flouro leader added to my 6lb running line to help sink lighter jigs and for added abrasion resistance.
    I do the same with Hi Vis Braid…

masters
    oregon il

Tie directly to lure when casting,use swivel and leader when vertical jigging

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

It may help in the winter months but as sonn as spring rolls around I don’t think it makes a differance. Alot of times the bait is not sitting in front of the fish long enough for them to study. I have not used leaders on hi vis mono or braid.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

No probelm with the high vis lines for me either in the river no matter waht time of year it is.

As a matter of fact, when the water is very clear, the high vis line attracts fish .

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Stren Hi Vis no leader… snap swivel when snapping blade baits and casting cranks. I also use a snap swivel on jigging raps in winter. Only time I go below 6lb test is for Madison type crystal clear lakes. We found our bite increases noteably when we went down to 4lb test on Mendota, Monona, Waubesa.

jhalfen

Hi Vis 24/7/365. Forget about the leader…just more opportunities for your rig to fail at 2 knots you don’t need.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Direct tie for me. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a decrease or increase in catch rates when running clear mono or flouro leaders on the river. I ran another little side-by-side test for myself this last fall to see if a 2′ section of Vanish would do anything for me on the river. Long story short… it didn’t hurt anything but it certainly didn’t put any more fish in the boat. And I had an extra knot to tie when I broke off above the leader material.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Appreciate all the feedback….Id rather not tie an extra knot….and i’ll have more confidence when I tie direct now. much thanks

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

those responses seal it for me, too.
    i had been experimenting with a floro leader on hi-vis power pro or mono in the river the last couple of years, and i couldnt determine an increased catch rate either.

milemark_714

Same as the above.I like the Hi-Vis Suffix or PowerPro Green.

Direct Tie

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Heard Scott Fairbarn speak last winter on the subject: his opinion was walleyes are not line shy like other species such as smallmouth bass.
    I have never had an issue with it. James and Dustin have caught a zillion pig walleyes on hi vis line: good enough for me.

Jeremy

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I do have a little different take on the situation that no one has mentioned. I fish with 10lb crystal fire line, and do tie on about a 6ft mono leader-8lb triline xt. The reason is that I’ve lost a few very big fish with braid only. Even with a soft tip rod, I’ve had my precision jig straighten out. The mono leader gives cushion, and I believe it has paid off for me.
    I do fish lakes for bass with the same set up on deep weed lines, and it works well.
    I tie my leader with a blood knot, and add a dab of super glue and it holds well.
    Just another opinion to consider.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.