Sauger size/bag changes

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

enforcement……

Just one more note…. Not trying to take this line OFF subject, but I feel enforcement of current laws is important, right now the fish are on a tear and will remain so for quite a while, they are vulnerable to game hogs,

therefore I contacted Wisconsin Warden Martin Stone, most of you remember he was part of that big walleye/sauger overlimit arrest this last spring at Red Wing….

he gave me his personal number to call with information pertaining to breaking of fish/game laws….. and he is allowing me to provide that number here on the board……

so below is both the Wisconsin Tip line and Warden Martin Stones # number (redwing/pool4 area)……

Wi Tip 1-800-847-9367

Warden Stone 715-273-4624

Remember we all need to do our part to help enforcement, they have a very tough job and cant be everywhere at once. The reason people break laws is because they think they can get away with it…. and you know what? they have a great chance of getting away with it, if WE let them……. lets stop letting them!!

Warden Stone provided me with the following tips to help us help him…….

1. Get a good description of the boat and registration #, party size, location of the violation….

2. Dont confront the violators in any way, and dont fire up your cell phone right next to them and start talking to the tip line… you dont want to tip THEM off… just the wardens…..

3. I was told that the wardens make all effort to quickly respond to ANY tip they get…….

You can bet I WILL be following this advice myself, anything I can do to help protect the resource is worth the effort…..

skpike
    Illinois

Thanks for the info on turning in the bad guys. Is there a list of #’s for all the wardens and hot-lines on the ALL sides of the river?

Can we put together a list and post it on the FTR site? Our support of the ALL the wardens and the fishery is very important now and in the future. Enforcement of the standing laws is very important and we should do what we can to help the wardens.

I have been very interested in this thread as I am one of the guys that gets two, maybe three days a year on the river. I guess what I what to say is that you people out there, the lucky ones who can get to enjoy the river almost at will, need to do the majority of the work patroling for the rest of us. You have my thanks and pledge to do what I can when I can to the same for you and continue to support the FTR ideals.

Hook a Kid on fishing!

SKPIKE

Brian Lyons

Rivereyes, I could not agree more. How could a 15″ limit possibly hurt? And if a sauger has to be 15″ to keep then 6 of them will be plenty for anyone`s supper. Or at least that’s my opinion, which is based on absolutley no fisheries education what so ever. Having offered that disclaimer I must say that the walleye fishing has gotten markedly better for me in the last 10 years or so( I don’t rember when the 15″ limit was put in to effect on IA./Wis. water). This observation is based mostly on pool 10 north from Prairie to the Lynxville dam. I have only fished #4 for about 5 years and mostly on the lake. I haven’t fished the dam at Redwing in the fall or winter so I don’t know what the catalyst was up there for the 15″ limit, or if it even had anything to do with winter fishing. I do know that there used to be alot of what we called “limits in a lunch box” taken in the spring at the dams in our areas. Then came the 15″ rule. Now we have a bigger summertime average on our walleyes caught away from the dam on wingdams & other structure. This uneducated Irishman from Iowa has to believe the same will prove true for sauger. However I also believe a limit on crappie & sunfish will improve thier population, a belief many disagree with. That is what I think & I speak only for myself. Thanks for the chance to sound off……..B

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

This has been a interesting discussion and I agree, a lower bag limit and 15 inch length limit could’nt hurt. There was talk of studies had to be done to determine the length and bag limit changes but I have’nt seen or heard of a creel check or any other study on pool 10 for quite a long time. Has any one?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.