F.T.R Get together….

• mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I was just wondering if James or someone… can go thru the rules, format of the get together……
    Is the catfishing tourney the same as always? Go out at midnight and fish till 8 and how are the bass and walleye ones agian?? Should we bring a Driver and some golf balls ??

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, we will run it like last year. This is a free event, all are welcome to participate. There will be three fish categories, Walleye, Bass, and Cats.

Each angler may enter one fish per category. The Walleye and Bass categories will be weighed. (And yes, we will have a scale and weigh baskets this year!!) The Catfish category will be the best Length + Girth for the highest total score. (Same as last year.)

The Catfish contest starts at midnight and run through sun up.

The Walleye and Bass contest starts at 7am and ends at 3pm. You may weigh in early if you would like. Weigh in will take place at Everts Resort. You may launch from any location you wish.

Here are last year’s results:

2002 FTR Tourney Results.
    Any questions please post.

Thanks,
    Jon J.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

any chance the cat category can go from sundown to sunup?? It is hard to fish from midnight sunup….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Sounds like a reasonable rule change for you cat guys. Consider it done.

Jon J.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Cattin at midnight eh…. I guess I’ll have to bring my headlamp.
    Hey Jon! How about a dock fishing category for those that are not “River ready boaters”?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dock fishing should not be over looked. Lots of smallies lately off the docks and the pike have been nuts… lots of numbers and a 40″ pike made it to the net last week. Bring some suckers and some spoons to cast and I’ll bet you will catch a few river rockets!

fireflick
    Alma WI

Hey! No dock fishing aloud! That is my and kids Super doo spot.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Don’t be a dock hog, Jarrad….lol……..Hope you all have a great time.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You’re not coming Tony? You should. Try to make it if you can. The walleye bite is very good and the conversation, food and comraderie is top notch!

tony_apisa

I’m going to try, but right now I’m working 7-10’s. If I can make it, I just hope I can find a hotel close. If not, you all have a great time.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Hey Fireflick! Maybe we should try fishing from the boat this year. You can drive if you are worried about my “docking” abilities. I will be alone with my Crestliner and lots of plastics!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

River rat if everts is full wich I am sure it probally will be The “Davis Motel” just outside of Ellsworth is really cheap and has nice beds… if you are interested

tony_apisa

Thanks for the info Mavzer. I’ll know by thursday if I’ll be able to go. I sure do hope I can make it up there. If not, there’s always next time.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am going to be in Alaska fishing Halibut and Salmon. I will try to send a few pictures to Steve Vick with some fish. You can pin my picture to a chair, and set a beer next to it for me! I will be there in spirit anyway!
    Have a lot of fun! I know you will!
    Tuck

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

thanks Tuck,
    Have a great time and we’ll save a spot on the tube for you next year !!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

That tube should be turned into a single elimination tournament!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

Each angler may enter one fish per category.

I missed this earlier, but that’s different from last year. Last year, we declared before going out which we were fishing. If we’re really doing one fish each category, I think it will be a lot more fun.

So Dave, are you even fishing? Do I need to bring my innertube also? I could easily see fishing ’till noon and then knocking off and blowing off some steam the rest of the day.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Gianni, as usual you are correct! Last year we did a sign up. This year there is no registration. Show up and fish. Weigh in at 3pm.

We will again have great prizes for the winners. We will also draw names from ALL entries. So even if you have a 15 inch walleye, enter it and you may win!

Pool 3, 4 and 5 are all in bounds.

Here are the rules.

Fish The River Open

Overview
    Interpretation of these rules shall be left exclusively to the tournament director. Failure to comply with any rule may result in disqualification. The decision of the tournament director shall be final in all matters. Contestants and members also agree that no litigation against Fish The River Staff may take place. All rules have “loopholes”. In the interest of good sportsmanship, contestants are reminded that the spirit of the rule will prevail in all judgment cases.
    This is a catch and keep tournament. Only one fish may be brought to the scale. You may however posses a legal limit of fish aboard your boat.

PARTICIPANTS & ELIGIBILITY
    Participation is open to the public. Tournament officials reserve the right to deny participation for any reason. Mainly an unsafe boat or no safety equipment aboard, or drunkenness.

AGE LIMITS
    Any person 18 years or under must be a team partner with a parent or legal guardian.

ENTRY FEE
    Zero. The contest is free and open to the public.

CHECK-IN
    No check in.

BOAT INSPECTION
    No boat inspection. Please have all required navigational and safety equipment aboard before launching your boat. Including one wearable life jacket for each person aboard and one throwable device.

SAFETY
    Safe boating must be observed at all times. Each contestant should wear a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device at all times when the combustion engine is operating above idle speed.

WEIGH-IN, CHECK-IN
    Teams must check in by the official check-in time to qualify for the free prizes. Boats within line of sight and off plane at the official time are considered on time. You may check in early.

SPORTSMANSHIP
    All contestants are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation. Drunkenness at any official tournament activity will be considered a violation of the rules.

TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT
    Live bait and artificial lures may be used. Trolling as a method of fishing is permitted. All fish must be caught live and in a conventional manner. Contestants must possess applicable state fishing licenses.

BOAT AND MOTOR
    Each boat must have all state and federal safety equipment. Each boat must have properly aerated or recirculating live well space to maintain a live catch. All outboard motors used during official tournament hours must not exceed the horsepower limitations as indicated on the manufacturer’s rating plate affixed to the boat.

PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS
    Contestants may fish anywhere on the tournament waters accessible by boat except areas designated OFF LIMITS by the tournament director or marked on the water. In case of an emergency/disabled boat, at least one partner may return (by boat) with the catch by the official check-in time. Above all, the safety of the competitors is priority.

OFF LIMITS
    When water is put off limits, all members must abide by the off limits period. Off limits means not on the water. Any fishing, boating, canoeing or any kind of water travel is forbidden on the off limits waters.

WEATHER CONDITIONS
    Tournament officials will only begin tournaments during acceptable and usual weather conditions. It is solely the responsibility of the contestants to be aware of changing weather conditions. If conditions change during tournament hours to unsafe conditions, the contestants are required to seek safe shelter until the weather conditions pass. Remember, you may weigh in early.

BAG LIMITS
    Tournament bag limits will be One fish per team member with a minimum length of 15 inches. State size and bag limits will always take precedence over tournament rules. Species that will be weighed are walleyes, sauger and saugeyes. Scoring will be in pounds/ounces. Culling of fish is not legal. Short fish will not be weighed, but returned to the water immediately. This is a Catch and Keep Tournament. Each angler will weigh one fish.

TIES
    In case of a tie, positions shall be resolved by a coin toss.

LIABILITY
    Fish The River Staff, it’s officers and employees, promoters, tournament directors, sponsors and organizations assisting in the tournament operation, their agencies, etc., are not responsible for deaths, injuries, damages, liability, theft, fire, or any loss of any kind to entrants.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

So you can weigh in early, but my question is can I stop in and weigh a fish, then better it if I go back out?

I’m just thinking that while I have adequate livewell/aerator, it would still be better for the fish if I could get them back in the river, especially if I’m on the way by anyhoo. I understand, though, that the team at the scales won’t want to busy themselves the entire day weighing fish after fish from the same people (although, likely no need to worry about that from me).

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good Question…Here is my official ruling.

No. You may only weigh one fish. No upgrading will be allowed.

Here is my reasoning. The rules state that the limit is one fish. Since the limit is one, and there is also a “No Cull” rule, allowing you to weigh another fish is considered culling.

Hope that answers your question. Any others, please post.

Thanks,
    Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Weigh In. We will run it like last year. Just pull up alongside the big dock at Everts. (The one with the curved bridge from shore) I will hand you a weigh basket. Place one fish in the basket and pass it back to me. I will weigh the fish and announce the weight. The weight will be recorded with your name. If you have any concern about the weight I announce, make your concern known immediatley! That weight will become official as soon as it is recorded.

All fish will be retured to the participant.

Thanks,

Jon J.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Jon,

I also have a question. Earlier you stated that we could launch from anywhere. You also stated that there is no check-in required. If these are both true, could a person launch at, say Lake City, and leave the ramp area at 7:00 a.m. and then start fishing? Does the fish have to be presented to scale by boat or could we drive it there via car?

Also, if it’s a Catch and Keep tournament, why are you requiring the boats to have a working livewell? Why not a cooler with some ice? Does the fish have to be alive? If so that would make it difficult to launch anywhere but Everts because you’re not suppose to transport live fish on the roads. We’d all hate to kill a big fish but, based on the studies I’ve read, long term survival of walleyes with these warm water conditions is poor anyway. And with forecasted temperature of 90 F I suppose the surface water will really be warm.

I guess that was more than one question. Here’s another… Do you think it would ever be possible to have a tournament where the big walleyes aren’t brought to the scales?

Thanks,

Boone

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Boone, good questions.

To be fair to all of the other boaters, I will require you to arrive at Everts by boat with your catch to weigh in. The main reason for not requiring launching and check in at Everts is SPACE. (Will be real crowded at Everts Satuday) People had asked permission to launch at Coleville and Bay Point and that seems reasonable. You may launch in Lake City, but you will need to make the run up to Everts.

These rules were originally put together when we ran the event out of Colville. The Minn DNR required the “Catch and Keep” wording in the rule to get a permit. WI does not require a permit for this type of event. I could remove the Catch and Keep wording, but will leave it in there. Meaning, you get the fish back. FTR does not take possession of any fish, dead or alive. If you can release the fish healthy, great. If not, see me and we will get the fish cleaned and either returned to you or another licensed angler.

If you have any ideas on a different weigh in format, I’m all ears for next year. Thanks for the input.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Jon
    WOW your doing a great job! can we fill the fish with sinker’s before we weigh them? LOL
    See you sat.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

how about hand line weights ?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks for the clarification.

Soudns like it could get busy. I’ll probably show up around seven, so hopefully the “first flight” will be gone by the time I get to unloading the boat.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

So I can launch out of Bay City and just start fishing at 7 AM or do I have to bring my boat up to Evert’s in the morning for the start? I understand that I have to bring any fish in by boat for the weigh-in but you lost me on the start.

Gator Hunter

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Start fishing a 7am (Not a minute sooner!) No need to come up to Everts before you start. In other words, No Check-in this year.

Jon J.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I got it. Thanks a lot Jon.

Gator Hunter

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Gianni, what makes you think you can catch more than one fish?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.