Trial and mostly error

• mudlnthru
    Burnsville

One of the most frustrating things about fishing the river is that you often find out what doesn’t work a lot more often than you discover what does work. Fishing for walleyes right now is tough. Techniques that work on some parts of the river simply won’t work on others. So here’s my hopeful thought on fishing it in general. The title for it is “What doesn’t work”.

I fished Sunday. The day was warm and very humid, with some nice breezes at least keeping the bugs away. I started out at Everts and went upstream, first, to the rollers. It’s where I usually start. A few spots are always in the cards, even though the fish may not be there quite yet. The clam beds were the first. There are always people in the area near the rollers, either fishing deep for sauger or shallow for the occasional walleye that might have made it to a wing dam. I rarely see any caught this time of year.

I tried three ways. One pole had a spinner and a worm. The other was a long leader with a leech on a hook. The fish were deep. At 12 to 18 feet, I could see some sitting on the bottom. I trolled. Slowly upstream, faster downstream. No bites. Apparently, neither item worked.

Off came the leech and on went a clown colored number 5 rapala. My thought was that perhaps the fish were not looking for dark and appetizing, but needed to be enticed with something slightly more angry looking. Nothing again.

Time to move on. Instead of stopping at some of the other spots, I went all the way down the Wisconsin cut, into Goose Lake. This time, I trolled briefly with the same two rigs, in the deep areas. A few boats were there, but not much was biting, apparently. Naturally, I was still stuck on catching a walleye. I trolled the area pretty thoroughly, along the breaks and also through the middle. Fish were everywhere on my monitor, at all levels. Obviously, the stripers were in there. And shad were snapping at the water, so I doubted that the fish were hungry. Too much bait. My hope was that a faster troll and a rattling rap might do the trick. Another change. Nothing.

A bass boat came by, casting a big spinner against the edges. I watched him fish slowly down the edge of the lake without success either. Nix that part. So I jigged for a bit. First with a worm, then with a ringworm. No bites. Too deep, apparently, and no hungry or angry fish at the bottom.

On to the area outside Goose Lake, in the main Wisconsin Channel, where I trolled again. Dispensed with the spinner and put on a worm and hook. I still put down a line with a bright rap. At least something should be interested. Nothing. And no fish caught by any of the other boats there.

Okay, I figured. Time to head all the way down to Pepin. A quick look at the Bay City flats convinced me that it would be better to move on. So I did. About halfway down the lake to Long Point. The deep area there seemed to hold promise. There were a couple of boats fishing that area, trolling slowly along the break, where the depth drops from 8 to 20 feet in a hurry. A look at my graph showed me why. The fish were deep, around 18 feet and some looked huge.

More trolling, the same as before. I switched raps. Tried a darker presentation. Put on a spinner again. Watched a guy jigging slowly along the edge in the waves and surf generated by the wind and the passing boats. Once in awhile, he waved his net, put it away and pulled up a small sheephead. Nothing big, though. That place is a total mystery. But the fish are there. They just don’t apparently want to bite at what we have to offer.

I went across to the Wisconsin side and trolled for a bit. Same three ways. Obviously, what didn’t work in one place didn’t work again. Three ways and jigs were definitely not the bait of the day.

Finally, I gave up, headed back to Everts and pulled out about 20 minutes before the storms hit. Saw lightning strike the road and also a couple of fields. What a fright. Kinda made me duck low on the way home.

So, now I know what doesn’t work. And wish that I’d gone back on Sunday to use a beetle spin to catch some stripers in Goose Lake. A few of those would have helped make the day more successful. Time on the water.

The lesson learned here…. Keep changing. Variation is the key. Eventually, something has to work. But then, it’s why it’s called fishing, right? Maybe next weekend, I’ll bring some steak. I can do a barbecue on the boat and the fishing will swarm.

Mike

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Mike it sounds like you were using the same tactics that Smitty and I were using (the wrong ones).LOL It is still nice to get out and try as you learn new stuff everytime out.
    Steve Greene

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

So you are saying that with all those trip posts, you didn’t catch fish this weekend? With a guide and the assistant pro staff director? hmmm….

flick
    Alma WI

Hey Mike,
    The bite has been tough on Pool 5 with the up and down water levels. Alot of fish have been coming to the boat but a majority are on the short side! Somedays are a breeze others can be really tough! Thats why they call it Fishing and Not Catching!

leinieman

Noooooo that’s not what I’m saying. We did catch some fish they weren’t snappin big time though. Didn’t you see that nice photo of Jarrad holding that plump smallie or Smitty holding the hawg.I think I caught 4 eyes right before dark on Saturday with Jarrad and Smitty. I’d say we probably kicked your butt from the photo’s that you posted. LOL is this too much fun or what Nah. Hey Mike when are you coming back this way.
    Steve Greene

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Kicked my butt royally, Steve. Plus, I got lightning, thunder and a strike on the road while I was driving home that night. What a treat that was!

What made it worse was that James told me last night that he went out with Dustin (okay, two pros, right?) and caught some really nice ones. In fact, I’m hoping that the pics get posted. Right bait, right place, right time, apparently. Trial and error be darned! I want more fishing! (There, Flick, I didn’t call it catching, did I?)

Anyway, I’m not claiming any awards. But you know, sometimes even failure has to be posted, right?
    Mike

leinieman

You bet and it’s still fun. You heading over this way? I imagine we can go out together
    and not catch much too. LOL Yep we had the same storm later that day. I was showing Smitty around
    the Chippewa and we had to high tail it for home. Catch ya later bud.
    Steve Greene

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s the pics…

We basically met at Everts Resort to just “hang out” with no set intentions to fish. But one thing led to another and we found ourselves on the water!

In that last hour before dark we targetted shallow flats, in sight of the town of Red Wing, coming off rip rap banks. Jumping shad gave away the “spot on the spot” and we just started throwing kalin tails. The “blue pearl S&P” was the best color by far this time out and we had 6 smallies in the boat, slowly drifting these big baits with the current, in the first 10 minutes. 1/8th ounce jigs proved to be the right weight but we’re desperate for the jigs with the right sized hooks to fish these bigger baits as we lost a good number of fish that would have stayed pinned with a larger hook gap to work with. The right sized jigs/hooks will be in the store soon…. just in time for the fall big plastic bait (thank gosh!).

Most of the bass ran from 2 – 3 Lbs and put up a great jumping, thrashing battle! Love that fish!

A little later, just as the sun started to go down, the smallie action slowed but the shad kept busting all around us. It wasn’t long and the walleyes started patrolling and we each landed a real nice sized fish in short order but by the time it was dark out the bite was done. Dustin’s shown here with the pair, after the sun completely disappeared, right before releasing them both. We just tossed them into the livewell as we figured we didn’t want to lose time for a photo when the bite was really rolling. Again, same technique, 5″ kalin tails on a 1/8th ounce jig fished real shallow up against a rip rap bank.

It may be hot out but the plastic bite is kicking in already for the walleye. Find the shad = catch the fish!

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

And there they are! It’s really what I like to see around here. Gonna pick myself back up and get out to do some more fishing this weekend. Good fishing, James and Dustin. (I hear that Dustin makes a good model, which is why he gets to hold the fishies. You gotta touch them once in awhile, just to get the feel for them, right?)

And hey, Steve, we’re thinking of getting out there later in the fall…. probably late Oct. I’ll let you know. By then, we should maybe even catch!

Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I don’t trust Dustin’s picture taking ability enough to let him shoot pics of me with fish! He either lops off my noggin or the bottom half of the fish. So he gets to be the “hold the fish dude” until we get those kinks worked out.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

You is almost funny………

leinieman

Heck holding some beauties like that no problem. Those are some nice fish. I’m with Mike get back out there and try again. Anyway good luck to all and keep shooting pics and letting them go.
    Steve Greene

nubbinbuck

Went out today, and like Mike, I had a slow one. Got one really nice bass in the backwater to the east of the main bridge; 1 sheepie up by the dam; and finally 1 legal ‘eye south of Colvill (?) park. Swithched cranks repeatedly, to no avail.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.