EFN Get together – Things I’ve learned

• mudlnthru
    Burnsville

This weekend was fabulous. I started out smiling and was grinning so hard my mouth hurt by the end of the weekend. The trip home on Sunday was one of great thoughts and memories and I’m looking forward to attending more events like this. What a great bunch of people! You guys are all fantastic and I can’t tell you how much I learned, but here goes.

I learned first that taking a kid fishing has to be the greatest pleasure around. Obviously, some are not quite as much fun as others, but I saw 21 Little Brothers and Sisters come in with smiles, fish and a promise that they’d be back next year. Some didn’t fish all the time, but the fact that they all got a chance to bend a rod, watch the river move, see some sights…… What a thrill for those of us who were there.

I learned that the guides who came to this event are just about as giving a bunch of people as I’ve ever met. Every one of you guys gave up a lot in terms of time and income to show up at this event and it was really a thrill to see how much you all enjoyed it. It was also a thrill to see the smiles of everyone who participated on Friday when the kids came in talking about the event. I can’t wait for next year and can only imagine that everyone who wasn’t able to make it should plan on going. We’ll definitely need all the help we can get. I’d say that once word gets out, we won’t have a problem getting customers for it.

I have learned that professional fishermen don’t pay attention to the weather. That, my friends, is a fact. I watched a large number of guides and others (who, by the way, seem to have forgotten that this is Minnesota — state motto: If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes) come running in from parts unknown on Saturday, looking like they were ready for the wet t-shirt contest at Bimbo’s. Those who forgot to shave in the morning were definitely able to get their faces clean after running at 40 miles an hour upriver without benefit of protective covering. Next time I get a guide, I pick…. well, okay, I’ll just do a pre-interview and ask if raingear is included in the trip. Guys, water falls down from the sky when we get clouds.

I learned that following all fishing advice is not necessarily a good thing. For instance, trolling downstream as fast as you can (Dustin, you didn’t actually give me a speed limit), does NOT always catch fish when they’re not biting. You can, however, lose lots of lures doing that. Seems like when the lure starts to plane on the surface because your speed is really high, they bounce off the waves and get caught in trees.

I have learned that not everyone can drive a boat on the river. Of course, I knew that a long time ago…. having had a few rough experiences learning on my own. But hopefully, all dents, scratches and dings can be repaired.

I also have learned that the fishing is always fun, but the company is much better. It’s good to have a bunch of friends like the ones I’ve met so far. Makes the fishing that much more enjoyable. A little laughter always helps.

Mike

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Thanks for sharing that you learned these important things with us, Mudlnthru… I learned something too.
    I learned that my xxl sized arse does not fit very well into a borrowed xl sized rainsuit! Sure makes me see the need for another tackle box (to add to the seven I threw into your boat)… that’ll hold an extra set of Froggtoggs!
    The Get-Togeather was great fun, glad I got to fish with you. Hawger

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Things I learned, If you have to cook for 30+ hungry EFN PRO-STAFFERS,,,,,,,Use only…”PRIME BEEF”……Have a few beers and wait for the sun to go down.(EXCELLENT!! job on the steak…DUSTY!!!)……..It rains ..ANYTIME… it wants in Minnesotas “Tropical Season”…..START THE DAMN CHARCOL….1 Hour “BEFORE” the wiegh in…..And last but not least…..TAKE THE MONDAY AFTER……OFF!!! ……It was great to meet all that I did…and look forward to meeting the rest that I didn’t…

I Fish As Well As I Cook…..HINT……HINT..

Will…… “FOOD FOR FISH”……LOL

SWANY

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Swany,

You must give yourself a big pat on the back. The only thing I did was bring the meat and season it “you cooked it”!! In return for preparing an extraordinary meal I am going to take you up on your offer “FOOD FOR FISH”. In the next few weeks we will hook up and do the river thing. Just my way of saying thanks for such a great meal!

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

COOL!!!!!!!! YOUR ON!! …thanx. Just give me dates …Dusty.. and I’ll be there!!

SWANY

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Swany…..great job cooking the steaks, the food was great all weekend. Dustin we will need a bigger cow next year!

Thank you……

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Just one of the small things I learned. Never give kids lures with treble hooks and minnow nets!!!! Another thing when a cute little girl looks up and says can you untangle this just say no then (give her a couple of new ones). Steve

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

One other thing I’ve learned. This, is a truth. When taking Hawger fishing, always request that he leave the kitchen sink at home when you tell him that he can put whatever he wants on your boat. The tackle boxes helped me to get on plane more easily, but the number of boxes did tend to get in the way when I was frantically searching for yet another lure to throw. On the other hand, I’ve learned that you can never have too much tackle. Or rods. Or line. Or hooks. Or tackle boxes.

If I keep going this way, I’ll have to move up to a semi trailer to haul everything around. The King, the Mice and the Cheese. Where does it all end?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I can’t agree with you more Mudlnthru! It was a great week end filled with the experiences of making new friends, fishing, talking about fishing, eating, and drinking. How can you beat that!
    I also learned that you have to be alert when barges go by(I’ll save that story for another post)
    and I learned never to give up hope. Even fishing from the dock is fun and can bring you a 2nd place Bass!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Tom
    Let us know what the Insurance company say’s.Thanks all for a great 2 days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.