Another banner day on the Mighty Mississippi

• bigpike

Took my good friend Frank down to the river today. Frank loves big gils, so that was the target. All I can say is WOW

We caught well over 100 gils between 8″ – 9.75″ keeping enough each for a nice meal.

Once again the fish are planted on top of the wing dams. We had two feeding windows were every cast was a pig gil for 30 minutes

bigpike

Walleye’s you say….

I say throw spinnerbaits! Back to back walleye’s smacked my spinnerbait. 5 keeper walleye on the day and we never really tried to catch any

In all we caught Pike, walleye, SM Bass, Sheepy’s, Mooneye, Bluegils, White Bass, and Red Horse.

200 fish or so in 8 hours of fishing

riverruns
    Inactive

Thanks for the advertisement ! Please post what you find on lakes up there .
    Shawn

riverruns
    Inactive

By the way, nice fish
    shawn

bigpike

Quote:

Thanks for the advertisement ! Please post what you find on lakes up there .
    Shawn

I would hope all the gas stations, restaurants, motels, bait stores and any other establishment that makes money off me when I come down and spend time in your area would thank me

bigpike

Quote:

By the way, nice fish
    shawn

Thank You!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where did you launch out of Bill? I’m due for a gill meal. Well, that’s what my tummy is saying!

Great photos!

bigpike

And boy oh boy its an awfully big river

bigpike

Alma Marina, then head north for 3 miles….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For the gills, what was the rigging and bait?

I know the DNR office has been talking about how good the last few years have been with the flooding. Panfish, Pike and Bass have all done well.

bigpike

Quote:

For the gills, what was the rigging and bait?

I know the DNR office has been talking about how good the last few years have been with the flooding. Panfish, Pike and Bass have all done well.

Funny you should ask Brian, we went through almost 4 tubs of the small crawlers – 2 dozen each. Chunk of crawler on a Denny jig (custom secret jig). I would guess any light jig with enough weight to fish on or near the bottom would be good.

All I can say is I had as much fun fishing today as I have had in awhile and it felt great. Thank God for his wonderful bounty

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Congrats Pike!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.