This is amazing…..must read and react

• mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I thought that I’d share this article with everyone, and urge you to

write

officials from Dane County and the DNR to express your dissatisfaction.

We

cannot let radicals like PETA and the Humane Society play games such as

this. The impacts to this man’s career are stunning to say the least.

This

this is way too much!! Please read on……

Here is Lee Kernen’s column for 3/15/2002 (Outdoor News)

Why I’m ashamed to live in Dane County

Although we live far from “La-La” land in California and the citified

reaches of the east coast, animal rights zealots have struck right here

in

Dane County. An emotional Humane Society officer and an apparently

clueless

Dane County district attorney have combined to issue a criminal

complaint

against DNR fish hatchery supervisor John Komassa for doing his job and

killing a feral cat. He has been charged with mistreatment of animals in

Dane County Circuit Court. Let me share with you the facts of this

incident

and see what you think.

John is the 37-year-old supervisor of the Nevin Fish Hatchery, located

south

of Madison. On Nov. 17, 2001, he was checking on 350,000 wild brook and

brown trout eggs that were incubating in batteries in the fish-rearing

area

of the hatchery building when he saw a cat. It had no collar and he

tried to

“shoo” (not shoot) the animal out the double door he had opened. After

trying for five minutes, he lost sight of the cat and thought it had

left.

He looked again the following day because he was worried the cat might

accidentally run over an electric cord and cut power to the equipment,

or

even knock the batteries over, thereby jeopardizing the trout eggs which

were collected at great effort and expense. But he didn’t see the cat or

any

evidence that it was still in the building.

But the third day, Nov. 19, John got to the hatchery at 5:30 a.m. and

saw

pools of urine and some feces, a tipped over garbage can and a bag of

trout

pellet food that had been torn open. Some food had been eaten. He

searched

again and eventually flushed the cat and tried to chase it out an open

door

again, but it wouldn’t leave the building. He had it in a dip net

momentarily, but it escaped and ran into the furnace boiler room, where

John

closed the door behind it. He then donned a pair of heavy leather gloves

and

attempted to grab the cat and put it outside. As he got it by the scruff

of

the neck in his right hand, the cat twisted and bit him on his left

hand. He

dropped it to examine his wound. Just as he feared, he was bleeding and

now

was worried the animal was rabid.

John knew that a rabies test requires a brain sample from the dead

animal.

Fearful the animal might escape, he picked up a short piece of square,

hollow, aluminum “tubing” and struck the cat a few times until it was

still.

He did not beat the cat, but tried to kill it as quickly as possible. He

then called the animal control office to get the animal tested for

rabies,

and a Fitchburg police officer came and got it. Meanwhile, he went to

the

urgent care clinic and had his bite wound disinfected and he was given a

10-day supply of antibiotic to take home. He cleaned up the hatchery

immediately and the next day was visited by Humane Society officer Cheri

Carr, who came to write up the incident. Little did he know that she

would

become his accuser.

Two days later John received word the cat was not rabid. He went on with

his

life of rearing fish for the anglers of Wisconsin. But, on Dec. 20,

John received a summons at his house from a Dane County Sheriff’s

Department

deputy. It charged John with the crime of mistreatment of animals. This

is a

Class A misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $10,000 and up to nine months

in

jail.

Because this is a criminal charge, John can’t even get any help from the

DNR

or Department of Justice attorneys. He had to hire his own attorney and

is

already out $3,500.

What kind of man is John Komassa? He has always loved animals and he

used to

work with the large cats — tigers, etc. — in the Milwaukee zoo before he

came to work for DNR. John and his wife have a pet cat in their home.

They

got it from a Verona veterinary clinic because it was homeless — just a

month before the incident at the hatchery with the feral cat.

Meanwhile, across the nation, animal rights zealots and PETA members who

don

’t know the whole story are calling for John to be fired. Over 150

letters

and 50 e-mails from around the world have gone to the DNR’s

South-Central

region headquarters. The e-mails claim that John used an aluminum

baseball

bat to do the cat in, implying he is some sort of monster — all of which

is

complete fabrication. No one has written in on John’s behalf. Are these

messages from California and other distant states the cause of the

unwillingness of Dane County to just drop the case and get on with more

important activities?

John isn’t sleeping well these days. If the case goes to trial and he

loses,

he also will have a huge legal fee. Still, he’s innocent and doesn’t

want to

admit to something he did while doing his job, protecting our fish.

If John Komassa gets tagged with a conviction on this case, it will have

far-reaching implications on all DNR hatcheries and the Poynette Game

Farm.

Employees will be afraid to protect our investments. I truly hope this

ends

on a high note for John, but if it doesn’t, I’m going to start a fund to

pay

for his legal fees and I hope many of you readers will pitch in.

Meanwhile, Dane County is overrun with an estimated 80,000 feral cats. A

California “pet rescue” foundation has given money to have Dane County

vets

spay and neuter these wild cats. The goal is to do 1,000 of them in the

first year, and then they will be released back into the wild! To kill

another several thousand song birds and small mammals! Now do you see

why I’

m ashamed?

Lee Kernen of Madison is the state’s former fisheries director.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Is there a specific address listed so we can write in our support?

herb
    6ft under

First off, the district attorney for Dane county should be reprimanded for even bringing charges against the guy, and secondly, any judge who lets this case go to court should be voted out come next election. And yes, I’d write a letter too, just tell me where to send it.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Stuff like this drives me crazy. The next time I splat a kitty on the highway it was an “accident”. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Cyclone
    Minnesota, New Brighton

This might be the most insane animal rights story that I have ever heard. Where is the human rights? What if that cat was rabid? People that think that a feral cat is more important than a human should be beaten with the metal bat that they are saying he used. I believe that animals should be treated with a certain respect but this is going way way over board. Aquaculture is a very intensive job and personally if I was to see a feral cat anywhere around my hatchery it would not be shoo away it would be shot away. I am willing to help in any way (letter/fund). We have to take a stand against these maniacs or hunting and then fishing will be gone soon. This is my two cents. Cyclone

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Unbelievable!!!!! These activists are so extreme in there views and actions. I have been fighting PETA and other bunny hugger organizations my whole life. It all started with their views on trapping(which by the way is an excellent wildlife management tool and a great hobby). I would say about 20 years ago, I heard predictions that they would target other things I love hunting,farming, and of course fishing. Now the nightmare of these extremists has made me very mad and bitter. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and of course they have an excellent financial backing. I try to contribute whenever possible to associations that are fighting these outdoor demons.

I too would like to send a letter to help out the WI “victim” and a check to fund his legal defense.

Sorry I am so long winded, but these activists urine me off sooooooooooo much!

~~~~~~~~~~alkfish

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hmmmm…. Political Activistm??? Me??? Well… maybe just this once.

How about this:

Dane Co official Website

Dane Co. Districy Attorney’s page

DA’s email:

[email protected]

Here it is:

District Attorney Blanchard:

I wanted to contact your office with regard to concerns that I had after reading an article from the Outdoor News about a local fisheries worker who has been charged with the crime of mistreatment of animals. While I am an Iowan, and would normally not bother involving myself in the goings-on in your domain, the article made it clear that you were being bombarded with a diversity of opinions from animal activists nationwide (or at least at the far stretches where such people exist in prominence).

This case is a simple matter of wrongful intrusion by a third party. The wrong-headedness of this accusation is compounded by the fact that the state – the one bringing the charge – is not a disinterested party. Mr. Komassa was protecting state-owned property when the incident took place. The state’s interest here lies in handing him a commendation, not a sentence.

Cats and animals do not have rights. They do not deserve state protection. This is another case of a victimless crime where nobody has stepped forward to claim ownership of the cat of sue for damages for it’s loss. Rampant proliferation of feral cats has become a large problem for wildlife in the midwest. It is clear to anyone that hunts that the last thing our ailing pheasant population needs is state protection of a prolific and largely unchecked predator species.

After closely monitoring the debate on the recent CCW bill, it seems that the time of the local attorney’s statewide would be better spent investigating the apparent conspiracy to deny this legislation a fair and honest vote on the senate floor. If 24 of the 33 state senators were standing ready to pass it, then shouldn’t elected officials be concerned that 70% of the people in Wisconsin were denied representation in government?

Ideally, the charges would be dropped, and the Humane Society would be required to pay the legal fees for Mr. Komassa, freeing up time for what’s most important: protection of People’s rights.

Thank you for your time,

Gianni – FTR’s freedom loving radical

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

WOW, you tha man Gianni…… I really urge anyone that has an extra 4 minutes to send an e-mail in for support…..My girlfriend has a cat and I had the thing nuetered and declawed and it annoys the [censored] out of me…… but I am still a cat owner… so as a cat/pet owner I am going to write several letters about this issue/////

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I took the time and wrote….. this is a travesty…..

and it sounds like they better get a coyote breeding program going there… they will reduce that feral cat population…..

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Nice petition!!! I was very happy to sign it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~alkfish

BobKnutson
    Austin, Mn

It just takes a minute, don’t be afraid to tell them what you think in the “comments” section. This kind of BS really rubs me the wrong way.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

its great to see this as a forum to try and do something about things that are just plain wrong….. I sent an email and signed the petition….. this is pathetic I cant imagine being sucked into such a nightmare!.. what a travesty…..

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

Thanks for starting the online petition Deep Water. I hope everyone on FTR and FTL signs it. Thats the least we can do. Our right to enjoy the outdoors as we see fit is under attack so we need to stay alert and get involved.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Good i dea this is bull [censored], DA’s and their power trips and PETA wholy [censored], they should just delete their group considering all they try to to is create bullshit that isn’t needed

BobKnutson
    Austin, Mn

Gianni, you have done such a great job at writing would you mind if me or anyone else did the cut and paste thing and used your letter with the names, states etc. changed to suit our own needs? Think of how much more succes as a freedom loving radical you could be if they got hudreds or thousands of that letter with different signatures on it! Or maybe you could just change it to a petition. Either way I would sign it in a second. Stupid crap like this REALLY pisses me off!!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

This is unheard of. The DNR person only did what he had to do in order to be checked for rabbies. This whole thing is not only out of hand but stupid. You bet I signed.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Mavzer, Make sure you or someone follows up on this so we can hear how it comes out please.Thanks.

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

what a joke, i feel bad for that guy. I hope the charges are dropped. Animal rights group should be ashamed. If they had their way, fishing, hunting, trapping, etc. would be outlawed. This is a serious threat that should be taken seriously. We gotta stand up for our rights, and fight these liberal extremists.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Feel free to cut and paste. The more attention we can get this issue the better. I would also consider contacting local media and getting them involved – but only if you think they will give it ‘positive’ publicity. In Madison, you might just anger a bunch of new age hippies.

If I were from the area, I would have also pointed out that college kids and people from Kalifornia do not pay the taxes that are supporting this nonsense. I felt I had no ground, since I am not either.

Petition is great – much better than I could have written. If you want to see the signatures shoot from 300 to 30,000, put a link to it out on Free Republic along with the article, then post a reply to AnimalRights_list. That will index it so that people who have a special interest can find it more easily. I would do it, but need to get going… New baby is coming home today.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I’m a member of PETA!!!!

P-PEOPLE

E-EATING

T-TASTY

A-ANIMALS

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I signed as well! Get the word out, this is unreal!

Tuck

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Just got done signing it and i got a bunch of my college buddies to sign it, even girls to

jason-pitts
    Des Moines, IA and Hager City, WI

Just signed it too. Everyone should sign it.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Has anyone read the Editor’s note in this month’s issue of North American Fisherman? There’s a nice bit about the War on Terrorism and how that should include PeTA. They have no regard for vandalism, violence, or human rights and they’ve proclaimed that they intend to and will continue their radical ways. The note is written in other words, but the quotes will show my statement to be accurate. There has been a war declared………….what can we do? How about what we’re all doing right now? Not only is it an effort in justice, it’s a patriotic thing to do. Anything else we need to “band together” on????

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

mavzer,

thank you for starting this post, the Outdoor News is a great source of info to keep us informed on important issues such as this, it is the only thing I subscribe to any more. We all need to be active in issues like this to protect our rights as sportsmen, if we all ban together we can win the WAR against these liberal extremists. I will be more than Happy to contribute to the fund to help pay his legal fees. I agree with everyone here 100 percent, this case should never go to court what a waste of tax payers dollars, however we do have to be very careful here how we chose our words even on FTR, comments like:

The next time I splat a kitty on the highway it was an “accident”. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

People that think that a feral cat is more important than a human should be beaten with the metal bat that they are saying he used

Good i dea this is bull [censored], DA’s and their power trips and PETA wholy [censored], they should just delete their group considering all they try to do is create bullshit that isn’t needed

I’m a member of PETA!!!!

P-PEOPLE

E-EATING

T-TASTY

A-ANIMALS

Comments like these just add fuel to the fire for radical groups like PETA to make us look like the bad guys. I am going to apologize right now up front to those of you I have quoted in this post, please do not take offence that is not my intent, I am not trying to rip on anyone, all I am trying to accomplish here is to ask everyone to PLEASE be very careful how we choose our words.

Gianni,

WHAT A GREAT POST! I wish I had your gift for words, it is letters like yours that will help us to win the WAR against these radicals like PETA! Like Stillakid2 said make no mistake about it this is a WAR we are in and I for one intend to FIGHT BACK!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Steve, as absurd as it may sound if I “splat a cat” by accident on the road it now seems within the realm of possibilities that I could be charged and prosecuted if a PETA person or some other animal rights person with an agenda takes down my license plate number, the DA decides to prosecute. etc. Its unbelievable!! I can’t speak for the other posts but I’m not going to let any group force me to stop making a joke or off hand comment, nor force me into the realm of “political correctness”. I DO understand what your saying though. Enough said. Maybe we can go fishing sometime and argue while trolling cranks!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dirk,

sounds good to me, lets go fishin sometime,but skip the argument part

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Deep Water,

Thanks for starting the petition! It felt good to sign it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.