Really..Sheephead??

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

They prob do taste okay but are they good for you? Maybe 2 meal per month? I am shocked about people choosing sheep over walleye in a taste test.. Im definately gonna try this test on my buddies

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I catch enough pannies and eyes to keep me in fish now but back when I was a river rat, spring time we would get a bunch of these buggers and some were pickled and some were smoked. They turn out just fine and the smoked ones are delicious.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

They prob do taste okay but are they good for you? Maybe 2 meal per month?

Why would they be any different than a walleye?

palolo

Before I came across IDO I used to fish this pond across from my place and caught a sheephead(didn’t know what it was at the time) ..it looked pretty good so I scaled/gut it and fried it. I liked it. I still have a picture of it..lol
    I hope it’s a sheephead I ate..circa2010

herb
    6ft under

Nope, not a sheephead. More like a quill back.

deertracker

Thats ok. If that is the beer you drink I think you could eat anything…
    DT

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Rolling Rock and quill back

hnd

i’ve had them prepared multiple times with other fish. you could always tell which ones were which. the drum tasted like dirt.

generally you can deep fry a shoe and it will have some flavor to it. the best time i had it was when it was fresh out of the river and the guy scored it so there was probably 3x the batter on it than a normal fillet. it took away from the grimy flavor.

2 times i’ve at them, they’ve been a supposed “blind taste test” where the guy swore i wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its a quillback Pal and bony as hell. Sheephead have a mouth similar to a bass and thier good to eat. I’ve also ate quillback along time ago, not the best meat and suited better for cutbait but fills the stomach. You never know what they taste like until you eat what you caught, I did it this way too.

herb
    6ft under

Quill back makes excellent cut bait early and late in the year.

Sold it in the fish market as scored white carp. It’s also a good sausage fish.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I always wondered about making fish sausage, dryer or moist but never knew anybody did make it, is it any good Herb and does anyone still make it?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.