Really..Sheephead??

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Ok I’m going to try these nastly looking things but I have a few questions. Is there a best time of year to eat these and is there a size that is best? I did keep one once, cleaned it and it was as yellow as butter. Into the taste can it went. Oh I take it a sheephead and a Drum is the same?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Shitthead and drum are the same thing. They really are good if you prepare them right. If you plan on keeping them bleed them out and throw them in a cooler of ice when done bleeding out. Cut out the mud vein and all the dark meet. Some people just eat the upper portion like on wipeass (white bass), but I usually eat the whole fillet.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sheephead and fresh water drum are one of the same. I like to keep some for pickling in the spring of the year. I only keep the backs (from the lateral line up) and make sure to remove any red meat from the skin side of the fillet. I prefer them to be 15inches or smaller.
    I have had the back straps like mentioned above deep fried before and they were ok.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Shittheads and Drum are the same?? Can’t wait to tell the wife she just caught a relly nice shitthead

sandmannd

I’ve heard they are pretty tasty smoked and also heard you don’t need to take out the vain if smoking them. Has anyone tried them smoked like that?

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I liked targaman post. I chuckled twice.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Don’t overcook them and they’re great.

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

guy i work with said he read in the paper that they did a study in wisconsin…or taste test if you will…

gave 100 people two dif fish labeled ‘A’ and ‘B’, didnt tell them what two kinds of fish they were, only they both were cooked the exact same way and to pick which one they liked better, apparently the whole point was to defeunct the popular belief that one fish was better eating than another and that most people couldnt really taste differences between them….

well when it came down to it 90% of everyone chose ‘A’, which was sheephead….’B’ was you guessed it…WALLEYE lol

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

This may be grounds for a “shitthead” forum!!!

I nominate Bk for president……

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I totally believe that. I think any fresh fish will taste good. I wonder why we were tought that sheeps are bad??

When I was a kid my dad tought us that crappies (called them specs) were not good eating. We threw them all back. I didnt find out different until I was in my teens.

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

Quote:

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

I have never been brave enough to think of eating one.

mfreeman451

Not sure why drum have gotten such a bad wrap here. You can find freshwater drum fillets at Cub Foods, they can’t be that bad..

gary d
    cordova,il

They are pretty good eats from ice cold water in the spring time. My father-inlaw would eat them in the summer but one thing he always did was soak the fillets in ice water for a few hours before cooking them. Good eats then.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Tried ’em for the first time this year. Kept a couple small ones from the Croix that were gut hooked. I just fried them with a light flour/cornmeal batter same as I do for catfish or crappies…..and they were darn tasty! Wouldn’t hesitate to eat more.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

It makes some sense. Sheephead are a cousin of the Red Fish and people eat the heck out of them down south.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Holy crap, I could have delivered a semi load of them after being onm pool 7 for 4 days. We each caught hundreds of them. Dang things will eat anything. I swear they are like cockroaches – There will be a nuclear holocaughst and those dang things will be tyhe only fish to survive.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea. Them and catfish.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Had same idea last year after someone told me I was throwing good fillets back. Threw one in the live well. Hour later the live well was overflowing. The [censored] had puked enough zebras to plug the live well drain. Had to use muriatic acid to get them out. Cooked the [censored] out of him and still through it away. They are all yours.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Talked to the very experienced gentleman that owns the trailer next to Everts and this was coroborated by a third source. They need to be cleaned alive for best flavor… When they expire an intestinal enzyme is released into the system and tastes HORRIBLE.
    He said several of the “old timers” discovered that…they have a flavor similar to white bass when prepared correctly

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think they taste good, eigther that or my tastebuds are out a whack. Deep fried in very hot oil with alot of tarter sauce and they are good eating, too me anyway. Right out of the deep frier and on the plate then hit with cold tartar sauce, think I’ll have fish tonight for dinner.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

The darn things are great when they come out of the smoker.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Cooked the [censored] out of him and still through it away.

I guess that answers what you did wrong…you are suppose to remove the chit before you cook them

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

Quote:

Quote:

Cooked the [censored] out of him and still through it away.

I guess that answers what you did wrong…you are suppose to remove the chit before you cook them

buschman
    Pool 2

Quote:

You know thats pretty funny when BK doent reply in the 1st day

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Quote:

You know thats pretty funny when BK doent reply in the 1st day

Oh i’m sure he’s just changing Tuckners diaper again….

airpart

Quote:

I’ve heard they are pretty tasty smoked and also heard you don’t need to take out the vain if smoking them. Has anyone tried them smoked like that?

I have tried to smoke them but they are really hard to light

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

Quote:

The darn things are great when they come out of the smoker.

Well you guys are more than welcome to my share of those monkeybutts. Less time I will have spend unhooking them while I fish for some real fish.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

They aren’t bad eating, I kept some small ones off of the St.Croix yesterday, we are going to have a fish tasting contest, we have walleye, pike, sunny’s, sheephead, and I’m going to get some small cat.

chirp
    Rochester

Buddy of mine uses them in fish chowder. Tastes pretty good too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.