Does the DNR stock the Mississippi?

• uhlee1
    Dav. IA

I have been trying to find out what pools are stocked with what, or if the DNR even stocks the river with anything? I have read about Excelon stocking pool 14 with Walleye and White Bass in exchange for water usage but that is about all I can find.

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I am not aware of any stocking… (ref: pool 4)

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d be shocked if they did. River ecosystems are generally stronger and have less pressure relative to their lake counter parts.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Some pools do get stocked with some species. I think it’s relatively rare. Check with the relevant state’s DNR for specifics.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

im not sure when but i know it was a long while ago but the DNR did stock lake pepin with walleye….. in my life time there has been no need for this though.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

I might be wrong but didn’t they stock muskie in pool 2 awhile back?

I thought so too. Up near st cloud I think

Whiskerkev
    Madison

They stocked pool 9 with a billion sheepheads it seems.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Quote:

They stocked pool 9 with a billion sheepheads it seems.

Same down here on 14-16! We pulled a 12 pounder out of the sand pits the other week. Completely inhaled a bandit, and I swore it was related to one of my inlaws it
    was so ugly!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

If you guys only knew how good sheephead taste maybe there wouldn’t be so many of them in the river. The back straps are to die for. Better than walleye any day and i’m not kidding.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

US Fish & Wildlife has stocked fry of various speicies in upper pools in the past. DNR ~ no.

dogfish107
    PoCo, WI

this dude knows what the hell hes talking about. sheepies taste like a georgia peach if yall know what im saynnnnnnn

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.