Pool 4 report. Pepin

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Ha, that is true. And it’s not a big warrior but it looks much bigger with the wife driving it! TDubs!

Save the comments on that one…

Attachments:
    1. image-21.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

And here I thought Evan only fished for Mudpuppies!

copete44
    Farmington, MN

I have been fishing MN lakes for 30+ years, but this summer was my first time fishing walleyes on the river (Pepin). So I appreciate all the feedback people provide on here. I was clueless to river fishing when I first found this site. I am slowly getting the hang of Pepin this summer. Hoping to get out more as the temps start to drop.

Even though the lake is very large, I will say there have been a few Saturdays where I felt like I was fishing at the MOA. I don’t think sharing locations on here has anything to do with that. A lot of people see 5 boats in one area and they head right over and start fishing. I would rather fish by myself and catch nothing than go over and mess with someone else’s fishing.

It will probably be mid September when I get out again. Does speed (2.5-3 mph) trolling plugs still work as the water temps drop? What kind of speeds work the best as the water temps drop? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I am no river expert, but that speed is usually good most of the summer and into early fall. As the water cools, I have found slowing down more helps, but I do seem to run into more s*** fish at lower speeds. But sometimes catching cats, sheeps, and whiteies can be just as fun.

peace

Late fall I usually switch to meat.

However its the river, you can usually catch something on every sort of tactic all year round )

trev07

Fished Pepin yesterday morning with my wife. Started off pulling lead but kept getting fowled up with all the floating vegetation in the current. Switched over to bottom bouncers and spinners with nightcrawlers trolled upstream 1-1.2 mph (figured the bottom bouncer would catch most of the weeds before the spinner) and did very well. Found fish early in 12-14ft and then 18-20ft by mid morning. Finished with 8 saugers, 4 perch 2 sunfish and numerous small fish and sheepies. Beautiful day on the water, swift and dirty water but still fish to be had.

Ryan P
    Farmington

We were down on Sunday as well…Pulled cranks most of the morning and caught fish here and there. It was a little slow but the fish we did catch were in the 17″-20″ range. Then in the afternoon pulled crawlers on spinners and caught all kinds of different fish. Finished the day out with an 8 1/2 lb catfish. That was a fun way to end the day.

Attachments:
    1. catfish.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dandy Ryan!

No comment Evan…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey, when you guys pull spinners what kind and how much weight have you all been using?

I have some time off coming up and thinking about taking the FW down to da lake. Trolling keeps us talking to each other longer then say, pitching the shore line. )

trev07

I was using hammered gold and silver spinners. In the heavier current I was using up to 2oz bottom bouncers to keep it a little more vertical. 1 1/2 oz worked as well just took a little more line to keep it down in the current.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Didn’t know you pitched shorelines for cats…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know where you fish mudpuppies Evan…

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

PLz PLz don’t tell anyone my spot on the spot in and around that spot!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.