Pool 4 report. Pepin

• One

Water very High,walleye,bass hard to find them but catfish bites crazy.! Monday – 18.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Little more detail on the catfish bite please.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I find it odd how little is being posted for as many boats as I saw out there last SAT. More fishing boats than I have ever saw on Pepin AND the fish were biting very well. Just goes to show there’s nothing like finding out for yourself.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I find it odd how little is being posted for as many boats as I saw out there last SAT. More fishing boats than I have ever saw on Pepin AND the fish were biting very well. Just goes to show there’s nothing like finding out for yourself.

Cranks? Plastic/jigs? Bait/jigs? 3-way/bait? Denver rig?

It’s only a story at this point. Need pictures.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

3-way Denver rigs. 12-15 feet. Others were using bait. I think they were hitting everything. No pics. I never take pics.

tetonkajohn

Or it just goes to show you there’s nothing like keeping a bite quiet… Sounds like those other boats were staying pretty tight lipped. Nice report, but you probably screwed your own fishing. Bites can be pretty fleeting in August!

tetonkajohn

Or it just goes to show you there’s nothing like keeping a bite quiet… Sounds like those other boats were staying pretty tight lipped. Nice report, but you probably screwed your own fishing. Bites can be pretty fleeting in August!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes yes… there isn’t much room out there!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5869.jpg

tetonkajohn

Yes yes… there isn’t much room out there!

I assume you fish Pepin… and fish in general… the schools of bigger saugers and walleyes run predictable areas. Many of those areas are hard to fish with numbers of boats fishing different baits at different speeds going different directions. Sure one could probably move around and find their own school, before the rest of the boats start to fall in on them…

I only posted to point out the irony of proudly outing a bite that others had been quiet about. And then preaching that sometimes you just have to go try… after seeing numbers of boats out fishing the same spot days before you got there and posted THEIR spot on a well-known and far reaching forum and then claiming it for your own.

It’s bad form IMO, and makes the thread look bad.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes I’ve put a line in the water a couple times on Pepin.

I understand what you’re saying about predictable places as well.

I wasn’t very clear in my sarcasm. Ido was built on helping people fish, become better fisher people and sharing information. We do have many people that come here to just take info and never offer anything back. That’s all part of the internet. We just hope that the little puddle known as Pepin can support a few more fishermen in it’s many predictable locations.

Anyone know if the catfish are biting on the lake as good as they are in the upper stretches?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m pretty tight lipped when it comes to spots but I dont see a problem mentioning a good bite on such a huge body of water. Especially when I didnt list an exact location or even area for that matter. I didnt chase other boats either.
    As far as ruining my spot I fish Pepin an average of ONCE every two years and I take out one meal. How many meals are some people taking out this summer??? Seems to me that’s a bigger problem.
    BTW if you compare fishing the whole lake to fishing the spring run at the damn it makes you wonder just how critical the other thousand spots really are.

ps-learned virtually all I know about P4 from IDO and FTR.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

In general I feel that pepin has pretty low fishing pressure given the size of it, quality of fishery, and proximity to MSP. It sees that everytime I go there fishing pressure is light to moderate, and I’m always able to find fish trolling cranks on lead, bottom bouncers, and planers.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Was out about a week ago in high dirty water. Found a good mixed batch of walleye, sauger, white bass and Sheepies casting to pods of minnows busting the surface. Timmy was able to set the hook on this 6-7lb eye and we didn’t see any boats fishing near us hardly at all.

A few weeks before that I had MikeV in the boat and put him on this 8+lb walleye. The fish are there and they are biting, again no other boats fishing around us at all. Gotta love pool 4 all year ’round waytogo

Attachments:
    1. Untitled.jpg

2. 13567226_10210261203637327_8415736337835624164_n.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Lake Pepin is 21 miles long! I was fishing by that one tree.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Oh, I thought you were by the railroad tracks. devil

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I find it interesting that a relatively new poster, or perhaps a tight-lipped lurker with only 6 posts under their belt, would have the nerve to use 3 of his 6 posts to brow beat someone with over 12,000 posts. Pepin is 21 miles long and over 29,000 acres. I’m pretty sure there’s enough room for everyone.
    Oh, and Suzuki…I appreciate the tip on the Denver Rigs. Thanks!

Jonesy

I find it interesting that a relatively new poster, or perhaps a tight-lipped lurker with only 6 posts under their belt, would have the nerve to use 3 of his 6 posts to brow beat someone with over 12,000 posts. Pepin is 21 miles long and over 29,000 acres. I’m pretty sure there’s enough room for everyone.
    Oh, and Suzuki…I appreciate the tip on the Denver Rigs. Thanks!

I understand keeping info sharing to a minimum but on the flip side those who become pretentious about it are the worst.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Help the next guy the way you would like to be help (if you were in his shoes).

It’s the way we roll. waytogo

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Help the next guy the way you would like to be help (if you were in his shoes).

It’s the way we roll. waytogo

X2 BK. waytogo

Chasingeyes1012

Will be headed over on Saturday morning to hit Pepin/P4 with the fiancé. Its her 2nd time out this year only so hoping to put her on some fish. Will let you all know how it goes.

basseyes

Whole river is ruined now.

That is probably what our group calls the dirty balloon tree and the crappie bite use to be phenomenal there. There’s so many community spots on most bodies of water, keeping something quite from the masses takes art form like sneakativity.

tetonkajohn

Sorry to anyone I offended. I wasn’t trying to be pretentious or preachy. Perhaps there’s no way better way to discuss a bite. I just thought the particular phrasing on the original post seemed to emphasize a group of anglers potentially trying to keep a bite quiet. I dunno. My problem I guess.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am heading to Pepin today with a world renowned guide. This will be my first time ever to Pepin. I am excited about the trip, but I need to glean some info from IDO because the afore mentioned guide needs all the help he can get when it comes to walleyes rotflol

I am hoping my guide isn’t too private that he will at least let me post a few pics and some helpful info if he doesn’t do it whistling Nothing better than helping fellow IDO’ers put in a good day on the water…or any other fisherman for that matter. peace

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sorry to anyone I offended. I wasn’t trying to be pretentious or preachy. Perhaps there’s no way better way to discuss a bite. I just thought the particular phrasing on the original post seemed to emphasize a group of anglers potentially trying to keep a bite quiet. I dunno. My problem I guess.

I’ve jumped that gun too. Just ask BK or Jesse. whistling
    I would never give enough information intentionally to threaten a small location and believe me I realize this information is open to the whole world but I like to contribute and pay back all the guys that have helped me on here.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Why isn’t everyone fishing?

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Pepin is a “here today gone tomorrow” bite and always has been. If someone post on Mille lacs that the fish are biting on 9 mile flat, you can chase that bite and probably get them. If someone post that the fish are biting in front of hok si la in Lake City, you already missed the bite.. The fish on Pepin relate to breaks and as stated there are 40+ miles of basically the same breaks.. There are 100 variables to why the fish move on Pepin: bait, wind, current, water levels, Pepie, boat traffic ect..
    Best info you can take from a report is presentation and depth..

sticker

Decent bite last night. We pulled cranks from 4-8pm on lead and braid. Lead by far was the best. Ended up with some nice walleye, sauger one 12″ crappie and the guide got himself a nice cat for his troubles. Fun night for sure and my first time ever on Pepin. Thanks for the trip Evan!!! peace toast

Attachments:
    1. 20160810_180841.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

woah woah woah Tim, you get a nice 20.5″ walleye on your “insisting on Slamo” attitude and you don’t even post the pic?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Since Tim is shy, here are a few more pics. Good thing I let you drive the boat a little so we didn’t catch too many )

Attachments:
    1. image-20.jpeg

2. image-19.jpeg

3. image-18.jpeg

sticker

I ain’t a handsome man, but ANYONE looks good in a Warrior grin

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.