Pool 4 report from last week

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

This was my 60th trip to the Pool since my first guide trip with James Holst in 2000. All conditions considered probably my 2nd worst trip, period…but no matter what pundits say…we cannot control the weather smash Water clarity was very poor…Rollers wide open…water temps dropped to 39 by Wed afternoon…incessant wind much of the time.
    Good news! We caught lots of 13-14+ male walleye. That tells me the main spawn is yet to arrive. My partner lar and I managed 9 keeper eyes & Sauger in four days…2 Sauger 22″ & 22.5″ C/R to breed. Best techniques for us…casting to shoreline breaks…Best baits…Oystershell Paddletail and Purple Hairjig, plain no minnow. The upcoming week should be really good… peace

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1711.jpg

2. IMG_1718.jpg

3. IMG_1708.jpg

4. IMG_1710.jpg

tom_gursky

a few pics…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1711-1.jpg

2. IMG_1708-1.jpg

3. IMG_1710-1.jpg

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

This has been my worst spring period. Trying a lot of new stuff but even old standby not working very well. Pretty cool you have made that may trips. Makes me feel bad I live so close and don’t take advantage of the great fishing.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Fat Bottom Girls are starting to show up…not dropping eggs yet but some males are starting to milt.
    29.5″ 04/02/2021

Attachments:
    1. image000000.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sorry I didn’t get to see you Tommy!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Guessing he’s not jester

I hope you’re cut off on every trolling run you have for the next 5 years.

WINorthoutdoors

>Best baits…Oystershell Paddletail and Purple Hairjig, plain no minnow.

Any input to explain what the hair jigs are mimicking? Seems to be very popular this year, puzzled by the no meat requirement, so must be some bottom dwelling larva: mayfly?
    Only work in spring?

tom_gursky

April

The jigs I tie I learned from a great Pool 4 guide, Dustin Stewart. They mimic
    the early migration of Pin shad etc…I’ve never used minnows on P4…they just kill the action of the hair jig for me…1st trip was with James Holst 20 years ago. I use Hair, plastics, and an occasional blade (if I’m desperate wink )…Love to just cast jigs…Hair jigs work all year.

Attachments:
    1. DSC00452.jpg

tom_gursky

I missed you too…and my yearly Polish beer toast

LabDaddy1

I’m pretty sure hair jigs mimic a minnow when whet they are actually submerged. Streamlined and “fluid,” they pulsate and wave with the tiniest movement. I could see white or silvery blue/green hair closely resembling an emerald shiner. I’m sure it’s similar on p4, but they are one of the most common(not to mention a delicacy) fishy treats here in p2, along with gizzard shad. Everything from walleyes and smallies to rough fish won’t turn them down. In fact I call them “crappie candy.” Love putting a fresh caught emerald under a slip bobber with a plain hook through the dorsal in eddies where crappies are hanging out. I have also caught a few spot tail shiners mixed in with them when netting for bait. I assume Tom’s nickname “pinshad” is referring to emerald shiners, as they migrate upstream in heavy concentrations every spring and fall. Especially fall as the water starts really cooling down.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.