Pool 4 Report 3-14

• shockers
    Rochester

Figured I’d post a short report since I found the last one (3/7) helpful.

Fished with my son Sunday (3/14) for a few hours. Fished from Colville up toward dam. Water temp ranged from 39 to 40. Water appears a bit cloudy, but not bad. Debris here and there, so be careful.

For us, very slow. Caught a couple small walleyes (released) and that was it. Mainly tried Dubuque/Denver rigs with plastics. Tried fishing seams etc., but at least for us, no luck.

Good luck if you make it out. Colville was open fine. Bay Point was still iced in.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s too bad, my fingers hurt today from an excellent weekend bite.

Per usual, results vary.
    coffee

About a year ago I wrote an article on 3 way hovering. Zero forward movement was key again. They hammered it.

shockers
    Rochester

Yes. That’s why I hesitate to post updates.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the report! Good to hear the first-hand account, I’d been hearing fishing had been tough because the water was so clear yet, so interesting to hear about the cloudiness. I’ve heard Baypoint access could be up and running soon.

Not to derail or hijack your thread Mr. Shockers, but I see you’re from Rochester, and I was really really hoping to get out ice fishing next Sunday one more time. If you happen to know or have heard what the is like around Roch feel free to PM me. I was out a week ago yesterday and the fishing was great but I’m not sure what the really warm week did for conditions.

EW6

Lol, Thanks for posting a report. Or like BK says someone is always catching them somewhere. I always try to tell myself that if I am not the someone catching them.

A friend sent me this report Saturday and I was thought about going, but I didn’t.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTechnologicalAngler/posts/3749462615173595?__tn__=-R

Call me cynical but I read a report like that, then see pics of two small fish, undoubtedly the biggest of the day, and I don’t automatically think they crushed them, or even have them dialed in like the post may lead on…. my goal of saying that is for the average guy to not always believe the posts that make you feel like it’s as easy as all the experts say.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Lol, Thanks for posting a report. Or like BK says someone is always catching them somewhere. I always try to tell myself that if I am not the someone catching them.

A friend sent me this report Saturday and I thought about going, but I didn’t.

https://www.facebook.com/TheTechnologicalAngler/posts/3749462615173595?__tn__=-R

Interesting…..this guy claims the dubuque rig channel bite is over🙄Dohkay! How can it be over when it hasn’t started?😆I’ll be using this rig thru May thanks tho

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

About a year ago I wrote an article on 3 way hovering. Zero forward movement was key again. They hammered it.

Thanks FBR went and found your article and reread it. Great info and will try and put in use this weekend.

you can ignore him. A lot of people do

Only the ones who do not want to improve their river fishing success.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I mean all those boats out there with all those experts and only you put out a report? I didn’t see much for reports on Bookface either which means one thing. Fish must only be jumping into certain boats or are they?
    75 boat tourney and hardly any fish caught….hmmmmm.
    I’ll be out in a couple weeks I hope. I’ll share via DM like before. Good luck this year!

shockers
    Rochester

Thanks guys. Dan, I ice fished about a week ago on backwaters. Haven’t tried in Rochester but I’d urge caution.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

75 boat tourney and hardly any fish caught….hmmmmm.

I assume your talking about the FYB tourney. That was a 6′ clarity daytime tournament during night bite conditions. Now it is ~1′ clarity, and a daytime bite.
    You may not notice the difference from your keyboard seat, but from a boat seat, the difference is obvious.

61 Orbt aka BANNED tbro16, feel free to ignore my posts. waytogo
    You just cannot stop poking at me can you.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

I was out saturday as well didn’t boat a fish. Had 2 bites time for new trolling motor batteries.
    Did notice fishing was better after noon.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Reminder that this early timeframe, with the first runoff actually lowers the water temps. IE adding ice cubes to a room temp glass of water. Hence anything but a easy bite.
    Through the years, people came at the worst time of day and left during the best time in respect to the bite windows.

This will change quickly, once some water temps raise and additional color to the water happens.

There have been some good fish coming to the boats targeting warmer shallow sand and seam areas, but certainly anything but a free for all. It is the perfect time to get out though from a education side and lessen the long winter cabin fever !

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Pay attention when Mr Dean Marshal talks about fishing Pool 4, he knows it better then most.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I appreciate reports like you just gave. It’s tough right now, period.

Even guys that are putting together a bag are fighting their butts off for them. That is a fact. Is there going to be someone that whacks them during a tough bite? Every single time SOMEONE will on a water as good as the Mississippi river is.

Don’t feel bad, most are not “whacking” them right now.

You also have to remember something. These guys that put together good days most likely did it fishing a couple 8-10 hour days. Quite a difference in being able to put together a bite than yourself going and fishing half a day.

Thanks for the report!!

tim hurley

Thanks for the report Shockers.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Everybody want an ice cream cone to feel better?

Here’s a tip.

For all you groupies.

Take the group of boats on the mn side of the Y. They’re in slack water. Some edge of current, but whatever don’t matter. Putz by that group, count the boats, count the fish caught, note how much time you watched. Now do the math.

30 boats x2 guys = 60 ppl.
    4 minute observation = 2 man hours fishing
    1 fish caught= 1 fish for every two hours of fishing, that’s what I can expect fishing in that group. I actually saw 0 caught from that observation Saturday.

Larger the group the faster you can decide to… pass on that! Or… join the group!

Btw, slack water for me is nearly an automatic pass.

(Appropriate side note, do the same on the rainy for sturgeon or walleye, if your not seeing fish caught, move 10-15 miles, usually it’s going down there!)

Take the vermillion wing dam Saturday. One pass fishing through that, chat with one boat, witness another boat catch small sauger. Do the math. Realize that it’ll be crowded and difficult to fish strategically, though I could probably scratch a limit… hard pass. I don’t like fishing in crowds if you cannot tell.

I don’t post that we did well to rub it in, moreso to show that you should leave a bad bite fast in search of something better. Even if you don’t catch fish that day, your learning something in the process. I also provided a tactic that is working, and in the description of the tactic there’s some info on fishing walleyes.

Saturday I went somewhere I’ve never been in these conditions but used tactics known to work at these times and did very very well. Oh I get giddy when I see big schools of the right kind fish, and nobody nearby!
    Sunday brought a friend, 3.5 hrs and 32 fish later, home by noon.

I respect Dean’s advice above, but I don’t think he has been on the water the past week either.
    Water temp has been a STAGNANT 40° the past week+. Flow increase has been gradual and now steady holding. Debris is minimal, though in periods where it increases the bite seems to reduce. If you didn’t succeed this weekend doing what you did, don’t expect that to change in the next week. Last weekend was good stable= good bite conditions. That’ll continue. Change it up. I certainly had to, because I’ve never seen a spring like this. They’re again, maybe keep doing what didn’t work and it will. Beats me.
    Wipe those waypoints and find fish and execute.

Most would be content experiencing the bite i did and absolutely not sharing any info to help another random internet person. I don’t spoon feed anyone, including tbro’s silver spoon, but I will try to nudge you along to better your fishing best i can without showing you GPS coords.

+ i hate when people who did poorly pile on top each other and try to blame the fishery as if they’re victims of mismanaged fishery, and then lobby to lower limits(2019). In spite of that, I’ll continue to call bluff on a bad bite when they’re wasn’t.

Peace!
    toast

Dave maze
    Isanti

Here’s a tip.

For all you groupies.

Take the group of boats on the mn side of the Y. They’re in slack water. Some edge of current, but whatever don’t matter. Putz by that group, count the boats, count the fish caught, note how much time you watched. Now do the math.

30 boats x2 guys = 60 ppl.
    4 minute observation = 2 man hours fishing
    1 fish caught= 1 fish for every two hours of fishing, that’s what I can expect fishing in that group. I actually saw 0 caught from that observation Saturday.

Larger the group the faster you can decide to… pass on that! Or… join the group!

Btw, slack water for me is nearly an automatic pass.

(Appropriate side note, do the same on the rainy for sturgeon or walleye, if your not seeing fish caught, move 10-15 miles, usually it’s going down there!)

Take the vermillion wing dam Saturday. One pass fishing through that, chat with one boat, witness another boat catch small sauger. Do the math. Realize that it’ll be crowded and difficult to fish strategically, though I could probably scratch a limit… hard pass. I don’t like fishing in crowds if you cannot tell.

I don’t post that we did well to rub it in, moreso to show that you should leave a bad bite fast in search of something better. Even if you don’t catch fish that day, your learning something in the process. I also provided a tactic that is working, and in the description of the tactic there’s some info on fishing walleyes.

Saturday I went somewhere I’ve never been in these conditions but used tactics known to work at these times and did very very well. Oh I get giddy when I see big schools of the right kind fish, and nobody nearby!

I respect Dean’s advice above, but I don’t think he has been on the water the past week either.
    Water temp has been a STAGNANT 40° the past week+. Flow increase has been gradual and now steady holding. Debris is minimal, though in periods where it increases the bite seems to reduce. If you didn’t succeed this weekend doing what you did, don’t expect that to change in the next week. Last weekend was good stable= good bite conditions. That’ll continue. Change it up. I certainly had to, because I’ve never seen a spring like this. They’re again, maybe keep doing what didn’t work and it will. Beats me.
    Wipe those waypoints and find fish and execute.

Most would be content experiencing the bite i did and absolutely not sharing any info to help another random internet person. I don’t spoon feed anyone, including tbro’s silver spoon, but I will try to nudge you along to better your fishing best i can without showing you GPS coords.

+ i hate when people who did poorly pile on top each other and try to blame the fishery as if they’re victims of mismanaged fishery, and then lobby to lower limits(2019). In spite of that, I’ll continue to call bluff on a bad bite when they’re wasn’t.

Peace!
    toast

Great report! I always laugh at the haters on this site! I was out Friday but couldn’t find the active fish.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I haven’t been there this spring yet because the fish aren’t where I expect them to be. Once that water gets higher and stabilizes, I will make it down. I despise crowds and I’d rather drink bleach than fish at the dam. I will go as far as Baypoint if that. Just depends on the crowds really.

Here’s a tip, the biggest eyes are slowly making their way up river out of the lake. Why would you wait at the dam for their arrival? I’ll take my chances down river. The higher the water, the better my chances of getting to my spots waytogo
    Always nice to get out regardless

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t post that we did well to rub it in, moreso to show that you should leave a bad bite fast in search of something better.

I have no skin in the game here. Simply check the thread to see how people are doing.

Your post came off as extremely rude and unnecessary. “My fingers hurt today from an excellent weekend bite” was the part that I didn’t care for. I highly doubt your fingers hurt and I read it as someone being a dick, rubbing it in at the same time in response to shockers original post on the difficult time he had.

I don’t care for some of your other posts either. Just my personal observation.

Smellson

I’ll ask if you can get sprinkles on your cone gim

Dude, the bite is tough down there. Is it possible for you to respond to any post without complete arrogance? We get it, you fish a lot and I’m sure do better than most. The original poster was literally just giving a report of how his trip went. I’m sure MOST people fishing right now would experience the same as he did. Get off your horse and show some respect. Nobody is impressed that you can get on a decent bite when you fish as many days a year as you do. I’d be concerned if you couldn’t….
    As for more recent reports, I agree with everyone but fishblood. It’s tough. Still fish to be caught but don’t expect to go out and catch 50+/day like it can be…Water is very cold but visibility has dropped significantly from a week ago

billy03z71

We had tough luck as well, managed to keep 2 saugurs for supper and let a few smaller ones go. Jig and plastic was what put some fish in our boat this weekend.

Matthew Stever

I was out last Tuesday definitely tuff bite with the low flow and clarity. Managed to catch 12 with only 5 over 15” kept my 4 sauger. Like most everyone on here looking for tips. They where down from the y on 28’ to 32’. I’m sure with the water coming up it will change.

Ripjiggen

This thread is cracking me up already and it’s only mid March.
    FBRM could just as well not post and share his knowledge and tactics and we could just read the reports there not biting. I appreciate the OP posting his personal experience and the rest as well. Thanks. I also appreciate FBRM posting his. Not sure what you expect from an Internet forum but next time I’m on them I’ll paint a pretty picture map with GPS coordinates so everyone can flock to it. Better yet I will just take a video of location and tactics that way everyone can fish the spot the exact same way, a weekend later in completely different conditions and try and duplicate. Some get em some don’t. Some try hard some don’t. 🤷‍♂️

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ill take an off-the-cuff FBRM strategy breakdown on a difficult bite over a gazillion golf and “where are the guns” threads.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Peace!
    toast

My numbers were over double this but didn’t see any reason to rub it anyone’s face. We all know that the fish are there. Some days you get em some days you don’t.

Attachments:
    1. yyy.jpg

Jason
    Hastings

I’m just here for the ice cream……..

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Is it possible for you to respond to any post without complete arrogance? We get it, you fish a lot and I’m sure do better than most. The original poster was literally just giving a report of how his trip went. I’m sure MOST people fishing right now would experience the same as he did. Get off your horse and show some respect.

Thank you. Why not respond with “well that’s a bummer, I did pretty good doing this” instead of “my fingers hurt from all the fish we caught.” He’s a dickhead and he knows he is too

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    I’ll ask if you can get sprinkles on your cone gim

Dude, the bite is tough down there. Is it possible for you to respond to any post without complete arrogance? We get it, you fish a lot and I’m sure do better than most. The original poster was literally just giving a report of how his trip went. I’m sure MOST people fishing right now would experience the same as he did. Get off your horse and show some respect. Nobody is impressed that you can get on a decent bite when you fish as many days a year as you do. I’d be concerned if you couldn’t….
    As for more recent reports, I agree with everyone but fishblood. It’s tough. Still fish to be caught but don’t expect to go out and catch 50+/day like it can be…Water is very cold but visibility has dropped significantly from a week ago

The ONLY report i heard from the weekend was SHOCKERS. I don’t do facebook or ask at docks for others reports. So who was i to know nobody caught fish.

I responded to shockers thread, but my response was not directed at shockers, except the “That is too bad part”.
    If i respond directly to someone i’ll call them by name, or will quote them, like you, above.

Since, i knew a report on P4 this time of year would get many views. My response was to everyone reading a report about pool 4.

Not to be interpreted as digging into shockers. Seems like his feeling were hurt when he responded with, that’s why i don’t report. Well, shockers, that was not my intention at all, to belittle you. I’m sorry you took it that way. It was to provide a report. Maybe you expected that everyone didn’t do well and therefore you wouldn’t be hurt if someone did. Beats me. Again, was NOT poking at you.

I fully expected to hear more good reports, and look at that, crawdaddy did very well. I recall a week ago crawdaddy calling anyone with a flashlight a rookie, quite a personal attach IMO…and provided no fishing information to help anyone. Just called some folks out as rookies. BTW, folks not experienced should not be called stupid, a gentle enlightenment more appropriate. I don’t get mad at people with ignorance. Again, like i posted above, some that do well share nothing. Crawdaddy a prime example. But, he comes on here to rip me, and what does he provide…a big fish picture and reports of catching double my count, and no supporting information. Cool, thanks for the info. LOL. BTW, nice walleye!

I highly doubt your fingers hurt and I read it as someone being a dick,

As you stated in your post, you have a mindset about me that you don’t like. So anything you read, you’ll interpret it in a negative way. That is how the mind works. Yes, I’ve recognized that disposition of yours against me many times in the past year.
    I don’t instigate and say directly to you, i don’t like you.

Did my hands hurt….Well, didn’t use the net once on Sunday. I kept it upright in the boat like a flag, so anyone curious, would see me in the distance and think…Nope, that net hasn’t moved… kind of like tossing a marker buoy and leaving except i’m flying a net to show i ain’t catching. One brings a crowd, one subtly is uninviting of a crowd. So, yes i had some bloody hands Sunday. Then i cleaned a carb Sunday afternoon and cleaned out them wounds. Hands were a bit rough Monday. They were great and healed Tuesday.

My numbers were over double this but didn’t see any reason to rub it anyone’s face. We all know that the fish are there. Some days you get em some days you don’t.

Now, your post really hurts my feelings. I didn’t catch a fish that big, and you sure are rubbing it in. Why don’t you show us the picture of you holding that fish so we can see the background. Could you provide a tactic or method that accomplished such a great bite? There are many here that would appreciate that, though some that don’t.

Ill take an off-the-cuff FBRM strategy breakdown on a difficult bite over a gazillion golf and “where are the guns” threads.

Your the kind of guy i wrote my initial post for. I never responded directly to shockers. For i know, he’s not the only recipient of the information i write. Ripjiggin also.

I read a story yesterday. I’ll paraphrase.
    A woman riding a donkey accompanied by her son walking alongside, go into a village. The village stones them, and they barely escape alive.
    Confused as to why they were stoned, the woman thinks…Maybe the village didn’t like the boy walking.

So they go to the next village. This time, the woman puts the boy on the donkey and walks along side them. Again, they’re stoned in the next village.

Dumbfounded, the woman thinks, maybe in this country they don’t like people on donkeys. So, the woman and son pick up the donkey and carry it to the next village. Along the way they cross a bridge. Donkey is too heavy for them and they accidently drop the donkey over the side of the bridge, and the donkey drowns.

Moral of the story. Don’t try to please everyone, you’ll lose your ass.

Carry on.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.