Pool 4… April 3 thru 5…2017

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

This was my 59th trip from the U.P. to P-4 since 2001…I feel like its my home away from home and my fav walleye/sauger vacation.
    It was a cold rainy Monday, but the fish responded well… I purely toss plastics, hair and some blades. not that other methods aren’t effective…I just am good at these and enjoy fishing this way. Most boats were in good locations but when fishing moving water, angles and boat control/position are very important.
    I saw several small males caught near the Dam in the Wisc side…finally getting the right spot to cast and get a good “drift” we started connecting with some nicer eyes, mostly males, with some in the 17-18″ class. The rollers were down to a lesser flow and we downsized to 3/16 oz jigs and darker colors…Pin Shad were busting the surface so a downsized ringworm was my choice in Pro Blue…As boat pressure increased, we slipped downstream, working the current edges and did very well, releasing a 21″ and 22″ Walleye and boxing a mix of 16-17″ Sauger and Eyes for table fare.
    Tues morning found several boats camped on the spot we wanted to fish…we worked outside them in deeper current with One Eye spoons and caught a lot of male walleye and sauger, nothing larger than 15″. We had a fish fry planned so a few of thew sauger volunteered to join us for lunch ) The afternoon picked up steadily and we had a ball! Again matching the Pin Shad, I was down to a 3/32 oz BFT Pyrokeet jig and Shad Mini Paddletail for lots of bites. Had a pig up to the back transom corner where she rolled off…heartbreak ( .
    Wednesday was a tough bite for all…falling river levels and flow made for a slow day. All in all another memorable Yooper Excursion to the mighty Miss.
    Pictured below are a 28″ 9.2 lber from Paul and a 29″ 9.9 lber from young Mike…both CPRed )

Compliments to Evert’s Resort…Chris W, Kelly, Ski and the staff…rooms were spotless, great service and amenities…keep up the good work!

Brain K…I subbed a roaster pan Walleye fillets & Fries to the bait shop in your tradition…in lieu of Spam )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0163-2-533x800.jpg

2. FullSizeRender5.jpg

tom_gursky

A couple more

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1597.jpg

2. FullSizeRender-1.jpg

tom_gursky

One of some nice Smallies on Youngs Cabins and the “Ill bet you cant eat it all” Pizza at the Liberty )

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender6.jpg

2. FullSizeRender7.jpg

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

glad you had a good time hope to see you again in the future! you are a great person to visit with and wish we could have talked longer. got to talk to a few others in your group as well, thanks for sharing your story

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nice Trip Report Tom,
    I was sick last week, was hoping to have made it down the end of march, early April. I made 4 trips early to mid march, with not too much to show for it.
    This is a new week, hoping to get there again.
    Jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Shoulda left the Spam, never heard about the walleye/frys!!

Hells bells Tom, you need to give me a heads up when your coming!!

This fall… number 60??

tom_gursky

Yes it will be )
    We are staying Mon thru Fri the 2nd week of November…Heck lets all go to the Bluffs Friday for a Fish Fry and a beer Brian!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Looks like a nice trip Tom! I gotta get back up there, it’s been almost 5 years since I’ve graced Pool 4 with my presence:)

tom_gursky

sure good to see you Steve! I just spent a week busting bass on the Tennessee River, Alabama… Awesome!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.