Please Support the License Fee Increase

• TripleA
    Blaine

If they monitored catch rates when netting it would be a START…

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

But the DNR has dropped the ball when they are catering to the Natives still being able to harvest fish with their nets

I guess I am slow.

So now it’s not about the nets but proper slot limits. So, if they have proper slot limits, they are no longer catering to the natives?

You talk out of both sides of your mouth and it doesn’t surprise me one bit that your logic is coming from bar talk.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So let me get your logic right here Otto. The DNR shouldn’t be blamed for the status of one of our premier fisheries. The DNR is really under the direction of many other forces that prevent them from doing their job correctly. Despite this we need to give them more money to not accomplish their goals. The statism is strong in you!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here is the Blue Ribbon report for anyone that wants to read it. Page 17 lists the slot history on Mille Lacs (hint: a restrictive slot started in 1999). The first chart on Page 20 shows the lakes historical Bio Mass, pay attention to what happens to that after 1999. But yeah the netting during the spawn, nor the DNR’s slot had any impact… flame

http://www.d.umn.edu/biology/documents/Ahrenstorff2_000.pdf

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

So let me get your logic right here Otto. The DNR shouldn’t be blamed for the status of one of our premier fisheries.

Plenty of blame to go all around on that one including ourselves. The way it’s laid out, I don’t know if the situation is solvable.

I think the best way to solve it would be to shut it down and let the lake fix itself. No native wants that, no fisherman wants that, no resort owner wants that.

Also, Mille Lacs is not the only lake in this state and Walleye is not the only fish.

The DNR is really under the direction of many other forces that prevent them from doing their job correctly. Despite this we need to give them more money to not accomplish their goals. The statism is strong in you!

Not every piece of water has this kind of socio/political situation. They shouldn’t be judged solely on Mille Lacs. Do you think everything they do is wrong? We all have our beefs but come on!

I think not giving them the fee increase will hurt the areas you wouldn’t want to harm. The DNR employees I have met are all good people with the best interests of our state in mind.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Plenty of blame to go all around on that one including ourselves. The way it’s laid out, I don’t know if the situation is solvable.
    Also, Mille Lacs is not the only lake in this state and Walleye is not the only fish.

We are to blame for following the regulations the DNR laid out???

I never said Mille lacs is the only lake, nor walleye the only fish. However, it IS one of the most popular and important lakes, particularly for our STATE fish. The DNR reminds me a lot of the U of M sports programs from 5-10 years ago. Football and Basketball (Mille Lacs walleye and deer) are in terrible shape with little to no reason to believe the UofM/DNR is improving them. But look at how good the Volleyball and Wrestling team (Musky and Smallmouth or whatever) are doing. And if we can just get ____ more money I’m sure we can turn around Football and Basketball, except the DNR doesn’t even act like they are trying to turn around ML or our deer herd. (and no I don’t want to digress to a deer discussion).

I think not giving them the fee increase will hurt the areas you wouldn’t want to harm. The DNR employees I have met are all good people with the best interests of our state in mind.

I know a bunch of DNR employees, and you are right they are good people who do their job to the best of their ability. However, this has nothing to do with them. It is about whether the DNR is maximizing it’s current budget, and managing our resources well. Personally, I think there are a ton of things the DNR is doing VERY well, but imo there is a ton of waste, inefficiencies, and high profile poor management by them as well.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

We are to blame for following the regulations the DNR laid out???

We are partly to blame for the state of the lake. Harvest and mortality is a factor here.

I never said Mille lacs is the only lake, nor walleye the only fish.

Your argument not to increase the fee was based on Mille lacs. That’s all I had to go by and the reason for my question. The biggest argument on this whole thread is “The DNR sucks, look at Mille Lacs.” (and some AIS sprinkled in there) It’s not the entire story. At least you admit the DNR can do some things right.

DNR is doing VERY well, but imo there is a ton of waste, inefficiencies, and high profile poor management by them as well.

You seem well educated on the running of the DNR, you should look into the Citizen Oversight Committee and lay out all of the waste, inefficiencies, and high profile poor management.

Here’s their email: [email protected]

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/gamefishoversight/members.html

BigWerm
    SW Metro

As I stated earlier in the thread, I have no problem with a $3 increase. Although, it seems odd they need it with a $100 million budget, that can afford a $7 million expenditure on AIS. And yet AIS continues to spread.

Otto this is the second time you’ve posted that info, which I’m guessing you haven’t read. But serving on the Citizen Oversight committee is appointed by the DNR commissioner and continued participation is subject to the DNR commissioner approval. What about our DNR (particularly the current commissioner) or politics in general lead you to believe the commissioner would want people challenging his/their infinite knowledge? I mean look at the “advisory committee” on Mille Lacs, their recommendations go in one ear and out the other, heck they (and we the public) don’t even get to know how the DNR/GLIWC negotiations go.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I’ve read it and this time I included the email for commenting to them directly. Didn’t know if you read the whole thread.

Members are appointed to three-year terms through an open application process and limited to two consecutive terms. I don’t think this means that the Commissioner appoints every member.

BigWerm, it was a pleasure. We may have differing opinion on some things but I think you have a lot of good points and reason well.

Good luck fishing this year

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BigWerm, it was a pleasure. We may have differing opinion on some things but I think you have a lot of good points and reason well.
    Good luck fishing this year

Thanks Otto! Same to you, and just for s&g’s I did email the Oversight Committee, I will keep you posted!

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

and just for s&g’s I did email the Oversight Committee, I will keep you posted!

lol, same here…we can compare notes…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Let us know if either of you get anything except a canned response.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

But the DNR has dropped the ball when they are catering to the Natives still being able to harvest fish with their nets

I guess I am slow.

So now it’s not about the nets but proper slot limits. So, if they have proper slot limits, they are no longer catering to the natives?

You talk out of both sides of your mouth and it doesn’t surprise me one bit that your logic is coming from bar talk.

1) They’ll continue to cater to the Indians. You ever watched em’ unload their nets? I have. 99% of the time I have watched from afar (or close until one of them tells me to get lost…) there was not a DNR official counting/measuring fish…
    2) Remember last year when they so kindly decided not to net walleye? How nice of them. But cha’ know what? They netted perch instead. Know how many perch vs walleye were in them nets? Look it up. 4 walleye to every perch (or there abouts…). No DNR present…
    3) You finally got one right! It’s not about the nets! Those are legal for them to do! It is about the slots and the fact that our fine DNR has not been correct. My goodness I have had 30 walleye days this Winter on lake yet the DNR says the biomass of Walleye is low. My God who are they kidding!
    4) Bar talk? Thats where you talk with the guides and resort owners. Hello? Get iff the couch and ask some questions up there. I guarantee you would be enlightened at what guides and resort owners have to say.

I’ll have a comeback to every point you have. Every one of them. As others have said the Report soeaks volumes. Read it then ask your questions. You’ll get it soon enough! waytogo

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I guess I am slow.

1) They’ll continue to cater to the Indians. You ever watched em’ unload their nets? I have. 99% of the time I have watched from afar (or close until one of them tells me to get lost…) there was not a DNR official counting/measuring fish…
    2) Remember last year when they so kindly decided not to net walleye? How nice of them. But cha’ know what? They netted perch instead. Know how many perch vs walleye were in them nets? Look it up. 4 walleye to every perch (or there abouts…).
    3) You finally got one right! It’s not about the nets! Those are legal for them to do! It is about the slots and the fact that our fine DNR has not been correct. My goodness I have had 30 walleye days this Winter on lake yet the DNR says the biomass of Walleye is low. My God who are they kidding!
    4) Bar talk? Thats where you talk with the guides and resort owners. Hello? Get off the couch and ask some questions up there. I guarantee you would be enlightened at what guides and resort owners have to say at its all fact!

I’ll have a comeback to every point you have. Every one of them. As others have said the Report speaks volumes. Read it then ask your questions. You’ll get it soon enough! waytogo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

RR, I can tell you’re extremely passionate about this but you need to take a minute because you double posted.
    FWIW, I have spent time with many of the locals…and have garnered their reactions. Some continue and perhaps always will “blame”! Thankfully, more have moved on from complaining and have been proactive in promoting what they can and most certainly have earned more credibility and respect. I can provide a list of many who may have signed the “unofficial” Mille Lacs happy days!
    Meanwhile…

Attachments:
    1. maxresdefault.jpg

blank

RR, I can tell you’re extremely passionate about this but you need to take a minute because you double posted.
    FWIW, I have spent time with many of the locals…and have garnered their reactions. Some continue and perhaps always will “blame”! Thankfully, more have moved on from complaining and have been proactive in promoting what they can and most certainly have earned more credibility and respect. I can provide a list of many who may have signed the “unofficial” Mille Lacs happy days!
    Meanwhile…

applause

Charles

Just off the topic. Drove by mille lacs yesterday. I saw 3 trucks (Tribe Trucks) 1 Dnr, a couple of guys in wading the water.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Meanwhile…

Chill Pill has been taken. I had a good nights sleep and am ready to enjoy this beautiful weekend ahead of me. It’s Masters week. Enjoy the moment! RR

Viewing 18 posts - 91 through 108 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.