Playa Del Carmen

• chappy
    Hastings, MN

Heading down there in Feb. Anybody have a recommendation on a guide?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Not Capt Ron…

stevenoak

Didn’t fish when I was there. But a word of warning. When I was there, I came across the nude beach. It was cold, no one appeared to be there. Till a women in her late 70s, early 80s walked out. Some things you just can’t Un-see. That took several Carta Blanca’s and some tequila to get over.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

What boat is that?

tswoboda

What boat is that?

Navarro runs his own boat. I don’t have his contact info handy, but I’m sure you can find it with a Google search.

He’s the only operation I know of in that area where you have the chance to actively fish. A jigging trip with him is the opposite of the stereotypical 4 hr booze cruise.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I am going to Riviera Maya in Feb as well and isn’t to far and was wondering the same thing. I may have to look into this guy.

tswoboda

I am going to Riviera Maya in Feb as well and isn’t to far and was wondering the same thing. I may have to look into this guy.

I was at a resort there for a wedding last fall and caught a bunch of different fish right off the resort beach. Bar jacks and pompano up to 5 lbs plus baby snapper, cuda, and pompano. I just brought a cheap little collapsible rod and some jigs and plastics. The resort let me use a kayak and that’s when I caught the bigger fish.

carphunter
    SE IOWA

Captain Mauricio Avilla Poot

+52 (1) 998 244 9329

[email protected]

He is closer to Cancun. We have fished with him the last 4 years, between us and other friends probably 8 trips total. He will put you on fish. Great Captain, speaks English, will fish anyway you want. Every trip either large sailfish or lots of fish off the bottom. Highly recommended.

Good Luck

LabDaddy1

Not Capt Ron…

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Not Capt Ron…

X2

Is this a movie reference or real captain Ron? I see a lot of great reviews for a captain Ron’s charters online

big_g
    Isle, MN

A real business in the Cozumel, Playa area…. we booked with him (he sublets, think trucking broker) and we had a half day planned for a wednesday. We waited on the dock at our resort for over an hour, the resort finally told us, they cancelled for bad weather, rough seas. OK, rebooked for thursday… we are eating breakfast when the resort staff says “your boat is waiting at the dock”… 45 minutes early.. in seas rougher than the day before !!!! We scramble and grab our stuff and head out… Fast forward over 4 hours of high speed trolling, diesel fume breathing fishing.. we caught 1 Mahi Mahi and a barracuda… about 10 lbs each. Now they clean our catch and will drop us in town at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville where our wives will be waiting and our catch will be cooked… errrr… looks like they are taking us to the resort ?? Why are we not going to town ??? We were not told about that, we have to go.. you need to get off at the hotel… call the wives, tell them we are not coming to Jimmy’s and they need to catch a cab back to the resort. Lovely idea booking with Capt Ron. Never again. (the resort staff assured us, this was normal for capt Ron)

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sounds like a good time to retire and start your own guide service sown there with out standing service….

big_g
    Isle, MN

wouldn’t take much to beat his service. coffee

LabDaddy1

Did he look like this?

Attachments:
    1. D0733229-AE7D-4C4D-A41D-A3BC0BAC99E6.jpeg

2. F6492504-DDF6-47E0-995F-EA38FD474177.jpeg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.