Pike spawning areas / summer fishing areas

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Looking for any info on fishing for large Pike on Superior. I have never fished the lake and would need any and all info I can get.

Thank you.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

In the 30+ years I have been fishing along the north shore I have seen ONE pike. And that one looked diseased. Generally I think that the water is too cold for them to spend much time along the shore. Duluth/Superior harbors will hold big pike and maybe some of the south, or Wisconsin, shore where the water shallows up and gets warmer because of the shallowing.

Its not unusual to see walleyes during the summer months as far up-shore as Silver Bay but that’s where the deep water gets serious and temps really can get and stay cold and the walleyes turn back about there.

I have to admit that I don’t pay much attention to pike up that way and cannot really recall any conversations about their spawning in Superior. Everything I have heard regarding pike has been in tributary water, not the big lake. The one pike I saw at Two Harbors was seen in August after some really heavy rains up the shore further and I think it got washed up to see when the high water was more than it could deal with. It was a major-league sized critter but it had a fungal growth across its back and down the side that I could see. It would not chase a lure and finally just sunk down in water too deep to see it any more.

We never catch any pike while we troll and I’ve never seen one at the launching pad either. I don’t think there are many to be had above Duluth but you may find then on the Wisconsin coast, certainly back in the harbors.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I know that Isle Royale has them, and big. I know Mr. Holst was up there fishing the pike and I think he wrote a report on it. Check out the fishing report section.

Other than that I’ve seen others post some giants from Thunder Bay.

bigpike

Skip superior altogether and head to the next great lake to the north…..Nipigon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.