pickling pike

• Eric Hammerud

Just got back from Winnie and did well on pike. I began to pickle the fish using the no cook method and realized I didn’t freeze them. What I’m wondering is after the 5 day salt and vinegar brine process, if I can freeze them for a couple days before finishing the pickling process? I don’t see why that wouldn’t work? Getting a tape worm would suck!

Riverrat

Whoa, why aren’t you posting on the canned “tinned” fish thread. Your tapeworm recipe sounds better than some of the stuff they’re offering up over there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Freezing is not a “kill step” to remove everything. The only way to completely remove all those issues is by cooking the fish properly at a high enough temperature, for a long enough amount of time.

Pickling is technically also not a removal step for pathogens in fish either, but if you do it long enough, there shouldn’t be an issue. I would leave those pike filets longer in the brine if it was me.

Pickling small pike is a great way to utilize an abundant, easy to catch resource. The brine completely dissolves small bones, and the filet is a little firmer than pickled herring. I really should to more of this myself.

JEREMY
    BP

Freezing for parasite destruction requires one of the following methods:

Frozen & stored at -4°F or below for a minimum of 7 days in a freezer
    Frozen at -31°F or below until solid and stored for a minimum of 15 hours
    Frozen at -31°F or below until solid and stored at -4°F or below for a minimum of 24 hours

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just got back from Winnie and did well on pike. I began to pickle the fish using the no cook method and realized I didn’t freeze them. What I’m wondering is after the 5 day salt and vinegar brine process, if I can freeze them for a couple days before finishing the pickling process? I don’t see why that wouldn’t work? Getting a tape worm would suck!

meh…..dont frickin worry about it……i’ve eaten thousands of pike fresh from the lake to whatever, pickles, smoked, grilled and fried………and i’m dtill alaive!!!!!!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Does the no cook freezing just make the fish firmer when done or is it to kill pathogens?

Riverrat

Pretty sure Jeremy has the technicals right on the freezing to remove parasites. That’s how they do it with the sushi. There’s no beneficial bacteria with the brine so it shouldn’t hurt it.

Jimmy Jones

meh…..dont frickin worry about it……i’ve eaten thousands of <em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike fresh from the lake to whatever, pickles, smoked, grilled and fried………and i’m dtill alaive!!!!!!

Ya, but go look in the mirror.

Eric, the only way to negate the bad stuff in pike is to cook it. Pickling does absolutely zero to the cystlike casing that surrounds a tapeworm larva as far as killing it. The salt and vinegar do not penetrate that casing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I and Everyone I know have ate pickled Pike for our whole life. Not saying getting a Tape worm is not possible, or that it probably would not Suck. Just saying I’ve never know anyone who has got one. We are talking 1000’s of jars of pickled Pike.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Listeria is the primary pathogen that still survives freezing. Its not a parasite. If you get it, you’ll get very sick. Sort of like salmonella or e-coli.

Prepare and consume at your own risk.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Listeria is the primary pathogen that still survives freezing. Its not a parasite. If you get it, you’ll get very sick. Sort of like salmonella or e-coli.

Prepare and consume at your own risk.

doah ??? sheez Gim…….ya can keel over dead for just about any reason !!!!!!!! i’m not living in a glass bottle!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

sheez Gim…….ya can keel over dead for just about any reason !!!!!!!! i’m not living in a glass bottle!!

That’s why I stated “consume at your own risk.”

All of us have a different level of personal risk. Some individuals refuse to wear PFDs or motorcycle helmets because they think they’re a badass too. Guess we all just have to watch our own bobbers.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

so Gim you never had a shore lunch or just plane fresh fish after just catching them??? sad

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

so Gim you never had a shore lunch or just plane fresh fish after just catching them???

Yes, I have. Not sure why you would ask that though. We’re talking about freezing and pickling fish here. Not frying them. ???

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I’m saying the pickling is good to go and yes I have had food poisoning, from pork not fish.. like Glenn I know folks who use fresh fish, maybe they forgot to freeze them too… but no ill side effects…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t freeze my fish if I intend to eat them. I just cook them properly.

I think they taste better if you don’t freeze them. Just my 2 cents though. If I was going to freeze them, I’d vacuum seal them.

Pickled fish is fine by me too, whether they have been frozen or not. I just leave mine in the brine longer.

Riverrat

I’m just the opposite, I freeze all my fish because I think it makes them taste better. At least we know that were either both crazy, or it is different. I put em in ziplock bags, and then fill with water removing all air.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I put em in ziplock bags, and then fill with water removing all air.

Ya that’s a plausible solution too. Whatever eliminates the air in the package, which causes freezer burn.

The primary reason I don’t stockpile fish in my freezer is because our possession limits are mostly the same as our daily bag limits. So legally, I’m not really able to.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

dang Gim..you must be a real hoot at parties!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.