Pheasant Hunt?

• Slipbob nick

My better half has decided to take up hunting. So far grouse, turkey, and deer have been the targets. Anyone been pheasant hunting somewhere they’d recommend that would provide the dog? My dogs are not bird dogs. Looking for something where her and I could go for a one day outing and her to have a good chance of getting some birds.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Call around to game farms, some will have dogs or people that want to train a new dog, just have to ask around.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

I’ve shot at Sand Pines up by St. Cloud several times, Keith is the owner & great guy. Fields/guides/dogs/food, has it all. They also do a European hunt, some of my favorite times with a shotgun.

Sharon
    SE Metro

We’ve been to Oakwood Game Farm off 169 in Princeton and they are a nice place. That’s where we first hunted with GSPs, their dogs at the time were Windsor and Captain. Great dogs!
    http://www.oakwoodgamefarm.com

And years ago we went to Shamrock Game Farm and that one is in Litchfield I think.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looking for something where her and I could go for a one day outing and her to have a good chance of getting some birds.

I’m confused on what you’re trying to do here.

Are you trying to find a place to hunt wild pheasants or are you trying to find a game farm? A game farm would guarantee you birds but they are dumb as rocks. And it will be expensive too. I’m not really aware of an outfit here that provides a fully guided pheasant hunt for wild birds. They are present in South Dakota but I have been told that many of big outfits there are even pen birds now too.

Slipbob nick

Was thinking on the lines of a game farm where she’d have a good chance of getting something. I’m not aware of how often you need your own dog. We wouldn’t have a dog.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Slipbob nick wrote:</div>
    Looking for something where her and I could go for a one day outing and her to have a good chance of getting some birds.

I’m confused on what you’re trying to do here.

Are you trying to find a place to hunt wild pheasants or are you trying to find a game farm? A game farm would guarantee you birds but they are dumb as rocks. And it will be expensive too. I’m not really aware of an outfit here that provides a fully guided pheasant hunt for wild birds. They are present in South Dakota but I have been told that many of big outfits there are even pen birds now too.

I thought the same thing my first go round with a game farm. We just gonna go in a coop and shoot pheasants. Man was I wrong.

You still go out in some field and hunt them and then there’s the shooting and hitting them. It’s still work. A game farm only assured you the birds are there.

Regarding cost Yea somewhat pricey, but compare that to a trip somewhere, some places in the Dakota’s I heard they charge a hundred bucks a day per gun. If your concerned about cost go buy a chicken at the store

Slipbob, depending on where you are located, gold meadows north of cold spring is good. There is also one down by granite falls on hwy 23.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Was thinking on the lines of a game farm where she’d have a good chance of getting something. I’m not aware of how often you need your own dog. We wouldn’t have a dog.

You won’t have an issue at a game farm. They’re like chickens. You don’t need a dog either. Sometimes you have to kick them to make them flush. It’s really not like hunting to be honest. Glenn gave you some possible setups to look into that should work.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

there was one east of little falls also. think its still there?? dont remember the name. i’m sure a quick google search would help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.