Permanent Daylight Savings?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I hope they get rid of daylight savings. I’d much rather have some light outside of work hours all year long, rather than go to work in the dark and come home in the dark now.

You mean you want to KEEP DLST.

-J.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

This “easy fix” creates more problems than it solves. Our local district looked into it.

What does a parent do with their 3-6 year old children for the 2.5 hours every day between when they go to work and when school starts? That’s always been the biggest holdup to schools starting later. Our local district pushed for 9:00am – 3:45pm school days and was met with stiff resistance. With more and more 3-4 year old kids attending school daily, there wasn’t a good solution. The school aged daycare programs are overflowing without the proposed change. Starting later also pushes extracurriculars later and squeezes down gym time while forcing kids to leave school early for away games.

Have 1 stay at home parent?

HRG

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

This “easy fix” creates more problems than it solves. Our local district looked into it.

What does a parent do with their 3-6 year old children for the 2.5 hours every day between when they go to work and when school starts? That’s always been the biggest holdup to schools starting later. Our local district pushed for 9:00am – 3:45pm school days and was met with stiff resistance. With more and more 3-4 year old kids attending school daily, there wasn’t a good solution. The school aged daycare programs are overflowing without the proposed change. Starting later also pushes extracurriculars later and squeezes down gym time while forcing kids to leave school early for away games.
    [/quote]

I don’t mean this disrespectfully at all, but none of the reasons you stated were for the benefit of the children, only inconveniences for the parents. Public school/school in general has become a daycare alternative for working families (regardless of how many parents are present). Without bringing politics into it, why would you want to allow someone else so much unfettered time with your kids during their most formative years? Almost everyone I know treats their kids like a burden and “can’t wait till they go back to school” or “kid’s are acting up, need my mommy juice”. Not projecting anything on you personally or your situation but I think we as a culture have lost the intrinsic value of raising children to excel and not just comply with the program.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Go for it, I hate this crap.

Totally agree. I’ve always hated all this screwing around with clocks and there is absolutely NO objective benefit to it that anyone has ever proved since the idea was first floated in the 1700s.

Cancel DST and leave the clocks alone. In 1 year, nobody will notice any difference.

Lancons23

Daylight Savings Time is what we are currently in. Those saying sunrise is going to be earlier in the a.m. now this summer are wrong. What we currently have from March until Oct. wont change…. however, Late Oct. to Feb. will be a big shift from what we are used to. In late December, sunrise will be dang near 9:00 a.m.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Those saying sunrise is going to be earlier in the a.m. now this summer are wrong.

Who is saying that?

-J.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I don’t mean this disrespectfully at all, but none of the reasons you stated were for the benefit of the children, only inconveniences for the parents. Public school/school in general has become a daycare alternative for working families (regardless of how many parents are present). Without bringing politics into it, why would you want to allow someone else so much unfettered time with your kids during their most formative years? Almost everyone I know treats their kids like a burden and “can’t wait till they go back to school” or “kid’s are acting up, need my mommy juice”. Not projecting anything on you personally or your situation but I think we as a culture have lost the intrinsic value of raising children to excel and not just comply with the program.
    [/quote]

Very well said. Also people work 24 hrs a day now so it really doesn’t matter when the kids go to school. Maybe more of an inconvenience to the educator?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I just wish I could start work when I want to start so I could see some light in the winter. But I get the reason for the kids. No matter how you slice it there are three 8 hour chunks of the day. For normal people 1 chunk is for sleeping, 1 chunk for working, and 1 chunk for everything else. Shift it around how you want.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I want to get rid of switching our clocks, and am fine with it dark until 830 am in the winter for it still being light at 530.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

I’m with the majority, pick 1 and be done! I’d prefer DST, over standard because evenings generally offer more opportunity to utilize that extra daylight vs mornings. For me, a 9 am sunrise in the dead of winter doesn’t really affect or bother me, but having a 5:30pm sunset will allow me more opportunities after work.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

I want to get rid of switching our clocks, and am fine with it dark until 830 am in the winter for it still being light at 530.

So you want to keep DLST year round.

Gitchi Gummi

however, Late Oct. to Feb. will be a big shift from what we are used to. In late December, sunrise will be dang near 9:00 a.m.

I’d prefer that over having it get dark at 4 pm. I’m not doing much in the mornings before work that requires daylight but could definitely find ways to spend an extra hour of sunlight in the evening after work in the winter.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You can tell who’s in the construction industry and who isn’t. Daylight at 9am will mess alot of out side work up all winter. Late starts will equal to worse traffic for you office guys.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

[/quote]

None taken. I wasn’t professing my views, rather the reasons that have been stated over and over again with many districts that will prevent a change in the start of a traditional school day. I agree with almost every point you mentioned. Parents don’t want to be inconvenienced by change – even if it could help their own kids (which is sad). Even if the DST thing becomes permanent one way or another, schools aren’t moving their start times significantly due to public outcry from parents. Kids will be going to school in the dark if the change is made. To some that’s not an issue, to others it is.

Schools are handcuffed into their position with a complex of state statutes around hours of service, standards, etc. With the Covid pandemic, parents quickly realized that schools are relied on more than most ever understood with how their work and life schedules are built. Hopefully it reset the mindset of many and reiterated the point that schools are ONE aspect of education, and that a majority of it should still take place at home. Sure a school can teach a child Algebra, History lessons, how to weld, become a fluent reader, how to play a Cover – 1 robber scheme on the football field, etc. but the soft skills (showing up on-time, valuing honesty, time management, treating others with respect, etc) still primarily fall on parents and the home setting. It’s easy to see kids and adults where those steps were lacking. Children are a product of their home and families first and foremost. Schools can’t change that and shouldn’t be blamed for it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

pick 1 and be done!

How the HE11 am I going to know when to change the batteries in the smoke alarms!!

The number of clocks I need to actually change are getting less and less each year. I would prefer to keep it the way it is, but I won’t be complaining if we change.

(Prediction: we won’t be changing)

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>
    pick 1 and be done!

How the HE11 am I going to know when to change the batteries in the smoke alarms!!

The number of clocks I need to actually change are getting less and less each year. I would prefer to keep it the way it is, but I won’t be complaining if we change.

^I’m betting the house on consistency:

-no DST change
    -no 2 line change
    -no tax change despite a huge surplus in MN
    -no change in the number of boats fishing the scour hole killing fish
    -no change in the Vikings NFC North finish despite a new coach
    -no turn around with my battle against baldness

Timmy

On a lighter note: this thread reminds me of an old Indian proverb regarding DSL

“Only a white man would think that cutting an inch off one end of the blanket and sewing it to the other end will make it a longer blanket”

rotflol

Deuces

“Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.”

In regards to saving daylight one needs to take into consideration the energy in the grid travels thru a space continuum propelled by 6″ cold cut combos and therefore we should all go pet a giraffe.

Just sayin.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

On a lighter note: this thread reminds me of an old Indian proverb regarding DSL

“Only a white man would think that cutting an inch off one end of the blanket and sewing it to the other end will make it a longer blanket”

rotflol

It’s actually “Only the Government….”

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>
    pick 1 and be done!

Batteries in What? Those need batteries? ;)

I agree, we’ll be barking about falling back an hour again over deer opener.

Brad Dimond

-no turn around with my battle against baldness

BB – just concede. I lost that battle years ago as did my grandfathers, many uncles, brother and cousins. Now my 27 year old son is losing as well.

Time change on deer opener sucks!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Pick 1 and keep it that way. I hate changing spring and fall.
    It’s too confusing and screws up driving my truck. I don’t know if I should keep my hands at 10 & 2 on the steering wheel or move them an hour each time. whistling

disco bobber

I am down to one clock that I had to reset. The one on the oven. All the others adjust automatically. I think I prefer the way it is. If we went to one I would prefer DST all year. I would really hate to lose the hour of daylight after work, mainly in Spring and Fall. There seems to be enough in the Summer.

robby
    Quad Cities

There is legislation in Congress right now to permanently keep Daylight Savings year round. I know that some states already do this.

Pros – more daylight in the winter at the end of the day. Instead of getting dark at 4:30 – 5pm, it would get dark around 5:30 – 6pm.

Cons – more darkness in the winter in the morning. The sun would not come up until 8:30am – 9am in the winter as opposed to coming up at 7:30am – 8am now.

I guess the only significant impact for me would be when I’m hunting. Would be a later starting time and a later finishing time but the total amount of daylight to legally hunt would not change.

Or no daylight savings at all. That is the question now. BTW, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m not a fan of them changing it but considering all the other problems our govt is creating it’s low on my care list.

Brad Dimond

I don’t expect the government to be effective in addressing major issues, am glad to distract the legislative chuckleheads with stuff like this to keep them from spending time on screwing up other things I actually care about.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Changing clocks by an hour twice a year is pointless. If you’re worried about kids standing outside in the dark to get picked up for the bus, you must not realize they’re usually outside in the dark now. The busses usually run their entire route in the dark in the winter mornings. Sun rises at 8? That’s usually when school starts…

It’s not like the amount of daylight changes. I had to explain that to someone on Facebook. They thought the sun would rise at 9am and set at 3pm instead of rise at 8 and set at 4… I have little faith in humanity.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I boils down to this: between early November and early March (winter hours), would you rather have an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day or at the beginning?

The rest of the year is a moot point because we’re already operating on it.

Ian Marchbank

If we want to do away with the switch, then we should make the clock permanent on the fall back switch, NOT the spring forward switch.

A horrible choice to make it permanent on the spring forward switch. An abomination!

Spring forward time is 1 hour out of sync with the natural cycle of sun rise and sunset.

High noon should be at noon, not 1.

Studies are often cited showing an increase of heart attacks and decrease in productivity after the spring forward switch.

It’s no surprise the government keeps forcing their unhealthy choices upon the populace. It’s getting old. I’m sick of it. I found this forum to vent.

Reef W

Spring forward time is 1 hour out of sync with the natural cycle of sun rise and sunset.

What does that even mean? ???

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.