Pellet Grill Insulation

• Baitwaster
    South metro

Curious what anyone notices about using any type of insulation on a smoker, whether it be a welding blanket or insulated wrap. I have to believe that it would help stabilize internal temps (especially lower) and help conserve pellets.

Anyone try to experiment how many pellets used insulated vs non when it gets cold out? I know it must get hungrier!

Thanks!

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I don’t think you’d want fiberglass near your food or all over your grill.

Baitwaster
    South metro

To clarify – when I say insulated wrap, I mean a manufactures custom fit wrap…

TH

I used welding Blankets over my pellet grill in the winter. It helped some but probably didn’t save enough money in pellets to justify the cost of the blankets.

Jimmy Jones

Just thinking here, but aren’t the pellet smokers designed to breathe? I’d think any sort of wrap would restrict the smoker’s ability to move the smoke properly or maybe more importantly to keep the pellets lit. Since the pellets are smoldering, not burning with a flame, the may be easier to extinguish.

I’m pretty sure my smoker has insulation between the outer skin and the inner walls. That should be adequate.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

To clarify – when I say insulated wrap, I mean a manufactures custom fit wrap…

The welding blankets have fiberglass in them.

Coletrain27

been using pellet grills for over 10 years and never had a issue in the winter and never used a insulated cover. sure its going to use more pellets but pellets are cheap and dont bother me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.