Pearl Harbor?

• shefland
    Walker

If I ever make it to Hawaii, Pearl Harbor would be the number one thing to see believe me. I noticed also very little if any coverage, very few survivors left.All the BS shows on tv these days and they cannot take some time for this? Maybe some did, but I didn’t see it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    The Japanese war planes were seen on radar, well in advance of the attack… when they sent the message up the chain of command… they were told…
    “Don’t worry about it”

Some theorize that the US Government wanted to get into WW2… this was their ticket to get public support for it.

The problem was the complete opposite, the radar contacts were NOT “run up the chain of command”, they ended up in a waste basket at the first link in the chain. I’m not sure who the “some” are who theorize that the US wanted to get into WWII, but had that been true there were numerous opportunities long before 1941. In reality, the US was trying to avoid going to war, almost a point that was delusional.

At 7:02 AM on 7 December, the radar station at a radar site in northern Ohau spotted a formation of airplanes. Despite the fact that the Hawaiian Islands were supposed to be under a heightened state of alert for signs of a Japanese attack, what transpired was a tragic chain of bungling and errors.

The radar site called Fort Shafter’s Intercept Center to report the contacts and request a radar plot. The experienced plotters who probably would have taken the report seriously were, tragically, all out to breakfast at the time.

The infamous “Don’t worry about it,” came from the only one left in plotting at the Intercept center, an inexperienced Lieutenant Kermit Tyler, who was just into his second day on the job.

Tyler dismissed the radar contacts that were reported by the radar station as likely being a flight of B-17s coming in from California even though there were far too many contacts for this to be likely.

There were a host of other errors and delays that further prevented the reports from being verified and being passed on to sound the alarm. It makes for fascinating reading and there are many accounts of this incident. The bottom line is that the radar report went no further up the chain of command until it was too late.

Multiple investigations and inquiries document the chain of events on December 7. A Naval Court of Inquiry conducted some years later cleared Lieutenant Tyler of responsibility for the incident citing a host of factors including his inexperience and lack of training. No disciplinary action was ever taken against him. It has always struck me as strange, but Tyler continued to serve in the US Air Force after the war and was promoted several times, he retired, I believe it was in the 1960s.

Numerous books give excellent accounts of the events leading up to this tragic day. I’ve never understood why some feel the need to turn Dec 7 into some kind of wild conspiracy theory, the truth is tragic enough.

And the tour guide we had at Pearl Harbor, made it sound like there is NO WAY all this happened by chance at the exact time the attack was unfolding…

I equate it to all the things that went wrong on Epstein’s suicide coffee

(I know, our government would never lie !!!)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I learned something new about Pearl Harbor this year, and that was the first shots fired were by the USS Ward, which shot and sunk a Japanese sub at 6:45 am. About an hour before the aerial attack. The Ward sent word, but it was delayed by technical and decoding issues of the time.

As much as I love a good conspiracy theory, letting the majority of the Pacific fleet be nearly decimated prior to joining WW2 would seem very nonsensical.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

History is absolutely loaded with examples of tiny, seemingly insignificant happenings that form the butterfly’s wingbeat stirring the air that later becomes a hurricane.

There was a terrific BBC series back in the 1970s called Connections with James Burke. If you think Pearl Harbor has some improbable coincidences and happenings all aligning, the Connections series will blow your mind with how tiny decisions and happenings all link up and play out in producing huge events in history. I believe the full series yon YouTube.

KP
    Hudson, WI

As much as I love a good conspiracy theory, letting the majority of the Pacific fleet be nearly decimated prior to joining WW2 would seem very nonsensical.

So true!

big_g
    Isle, MN

It was not decimated… the Arizona and Oklahoma were, the rest of the fleet joined the War.

Even the way they had the planes parked.. did not make sense.. things were done before PH that were out of character, according to our guide. Just saying’ what he said.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.