Pearl Harbor?

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

I was amazed this morning when I went to do a quick check of the news for today and just about everything else going on in this world was mentioned but not Pearl Harbor day.

This is a true example (IMHO) of what is going on in this country.

Not that the Las Vegas shooting that the media is remembering wasn’t a serious and unfortunate incident, (God rest those souls) but political debates, Ukrain, Israel, etc. cover the media headlines this morning…

Just disappointed to see the transition of this country over my life time, and Pearl Harbor history taking a back seat to everything else…

I could go on and on…

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

YUP, our fathers of the past were were diffidently right in being crabbier as they aged! Its all starting to make more sense every day.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The sad thing is, if you asked most young people today what happened on this day in history, most would not know. those who may know probably could not tell you who attacked who.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I did not remember it was today. Your right it is sad that there is no mention of it. Star Tribune did not even have anything in it from what I skimmed through.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

“Star Tribune did not even have anything in it from what I skimmed through.”

My point exactly John…

haleysgold
    SE MN

Fox9 had an interview with a vet who was there during the attack.
    He’s over 100 years old now and still pretty dam sharp.
    It was interesting listening to him.
    That’s all I’ve seen on it today.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Very sad… crazy once you look down in the water and see the Arizona… knowing there are hundreds of bodies in it still… you will never forget Pearl Harbor.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Very sad… crazy once you look down in the water and see the Arizona… knowing there are hundreds of bodies in it still… you will never forget Pearl Harbor.

Have to agree it`s something everyone should see. I have wondered if something like this happened today what would happen. The numbers of volunteers and underage young men trying to get into the service to serve?????????

Jimmy Jones

The sad thing is, if you asked most young people today what happened on this day in history, most would not know. those who may know probably could not tell you who attacked who.

Been top the Memorial twice and each time I believe was the two most somber times of my entire life.

I grew up knowing the draft, saying the pledge of allegiance each morning in school first thing and corporal punishment in school. I honestly believe that our country started down the crapper when these three things were taken away. Kids today, even the good ones, don’t have a clue what had to happen to let them have what they have today, nor do they give a schit.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Fox9 had an interview with a vet who was there during the attack.
    He’s over 100 years old now and still pretty dam sharp.
    It was interesting listening to him.
    That’s all I’ve seen on it today.

I saw that too, if it’s the same one.

He said “This country is going to “Hell in a handbasket” and that he and the other boys did not fight and die for this country to now be in the state it is in”.
    Pretty sad when you sit down and think about it.

Ripjiggen

YUP, our fathers of the past were were diffidently right in being crabbier as they aged! Its all starting to make more sense every day.

This might be the saddest thing I have read on IDO.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

One of the things at the Arizona Memorial that really affected me was the plaque with the names of survivors of the attack that had their ashes interred on the Arizona when they died to be with their fallen shipmates.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

She was 12 when she heard about the attack. In 2016 I snapped this photo, then I walked away. I couldn’t look at it until I was back in the hotel.

The Arizona Memorial will have a lasting effect on (most) people.

Attachments:
    1. Lady-in-wheelchair.jpg

Krh129

One of the things at the Arizona Memorial that really affected me was the plaque with the names of survivors of the attack that had their ashes interred on the Arizona when they died to be with their fallen shipmates.

Me too…..just stunning

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1309-scaled.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Plenty could be talked about with the historical significance of this day. One of which being the brazen attack itself. I’m not sympathizing whatsoever with the Japanese but from a military standpoint I can respect the lengths to which they went to keep their massive operation under wraps.

I agree that I wish as a country this history and the sacrifices would be more ingrained in our society. One of the most significant things for me is the names and stories of those who died fighting for our country. If I had the money I’d buy a bunch of digital billboards and have names constantly scrolling through of those who have been killed in action for our country. We’ve all only got one life to live, and for those that gave theirs protecting our country I think we owe them a promise to never forget, and their names should always be circulating for Americans to see.

Michael Best

I see video of a guy interviewing college students on a sidewalk. He asked who was attacked and by who. One person out of the 8 got the answers right. Very sad to see that so many of our youth do not know this important part of our countries history.

brandyman
    West central MN

I see video of a guy interviewing college students on a sidewalk. He asked who was attacked and by who. One person out of the 8 got the answers right. Very sad to see that so many of our youth do not know this important part of our countries history.

With any of the past wars you could do the same thing. Most people have no clue who did what and how we got here or how easy they have it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We’ve all only got one life to live, and for those that gave theirs protecting our country I think we owe them a promise to never forget, and their names should always be circulating for Americans to see.

This^^^ Spot on Dan!

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

December 7, 1941. A day that will live in infamy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The Japanese war planes were seen on radar, well in advance of the attack… when they sent the message up the chain of command… they were told…

“Don’t worry about it”

Some theorize that the US Government wanted to get into WW2… this was their ticket to get public support for it.

pass0047
    Pool4

A young man of 19 years of age from my home town was killed at Pearl Harbor. His body was finally return and buried with full honors in 2021. Never forget.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Not really sure how to say this or what words to use but visiting Arizona Memorial is one memory I will never forget and cant wait to go back.

Riverrat

The first thing I saw on regional news was pearl harbor today. Its been on everything I’ve seen. Lots of people want to blame the next generation for forgetting, unable to blame themselves for failing to teach them.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Lots of people want to blame the next generation for forgetting, unable to blame themselves for failing to teach them.

I’m not blaming anyone. I was simply stating a observation. You are correct. Part of the blame does fall on parents for failing to teach them. I’m as guilty as the next parent in that regard. It was just not anything a teenage girl really cared to know about. If you have children and they know the History of this date – Great job.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Must be tough to always play devils advocate. coffee

B-man

I will say moving to the country and two miles outside of a tiny town has a lot of benefits, but one that I think is really cool so far is the boy’s new school.

On Veterans Day all of the elementary kids sang America the Beautiful to a group of local veterans at the school.

Last night we watched a couple YouTube videos about Pearl Harbor. We also watched some stuff about Okinawa where my Great Uncle made the ultimate sacrifice.

I still remember my Grandpa telling stories about his big brother. He would choke up mid sentence and stare across the lake. My Grandpa was 16 and his brother was 22. You’ll never be forgotten uncle Quintin. A hero to our family forever.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231208-110106.png

Dan
    Southeast MN

We also watched some stuff about Okinawa where my Great Uncle made the ultimate sacrifice.

Got goosebumps reading that B-man. RIP to a hero.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Japanese war planes were seen on radar, well in advance of the attack… when they sent the message up the chain of command… they were told…
    “Don’t worry about it”

Some theorize that the US Government wanted to get into WW2… this was their ticket to get public support for it.

The problem was the complete opposite, the radar contacts were NOT “run up the chain of command”, they ended up in a waste basket at the first link in the chain. I’m not sure who the “some” are who theorize that the US wanted to get into WWII, but had that been true there were numerous opportunities long before 1941. In reality, the US was trying to avoid going to war, almost a point that was delusional.

At 7:02 AM on 7 December, the radar station at a radar site in northern Ohau spotted a formation of airplanes. Despite the fact that the Hawaiian Islands were supposed to be under a heightened state of alert for signs of a Japanese attack, what transpired was a tragic chain of bungling and errors.

The radar site called Fort Shafter’s Intercept Center to report the contacts and request a radar plot. The experienced plotters who probably would have taken the report seriously were, tragically, all out to breakfast at the time.

The infamous “Don’t worry about it,” came from the only one left in plotting at the Intercept center, an inexperienced Lieutenant Kermit Tyler, who was just into his second day on the job.

Tyler dismissed the radar contacts that were reported by the radar station as likely being a flight of B-17s coming in from California even though there were far too many contacts for this to be likely.

There were a host of other errors and delays that further prevented the reports from being verified and being passed on to sound the alarm. It makes for fascinating reading and there are many accounts of this incident. The bottom line is that the radar report went no further up the chain of command until it was too late.

Multiple investigations and inquiries document the chain of events on December 7. A Naval Court of Inquiry conducted some years later cleared Lieutenant Tyler of responsibility for the incident citing a host of factors including his inexperience and lack of training. No disciplinary action was ever taken against him. It has always struck me as strange, but Tyler continued to serve in the US Air Force after the war and was promoted several times, he retired, I believe it was in the 1960s.

Numerous books give excellent accounts of the events leading up to this tragic day. I’ve never understood why some feel the need to turn Dec 7 into some kind of wild conspiracy theory, the truth is tragic enough.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.