Passing lane

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

But opinions are facts.
    Let me rephrase it in a way you’ll understand it. Suppose you’re turning a 1″ AL part in a 24″ chuck. Your manual lathe is capable of 6K rpm, but doesn’t have a brake. Do you use your optimal CS, or, because you understand the physics, do you limit yourself to the speed rating on the chuck?
    Tailgaters, by definition, are self centered narcissists who can’t be bothered with the life and safety of others. They don’t care what happens as long as they get theirs. And if your opinion supports their recklessness, then you become an ally and an enabler of their destructive behavior. In my book, that matters about as much as jim crow and the epidemic of wokist phashism sweeping the country.

Again, you are entitled to you opinion. I don’t see how your opinion is automatically to be accepted as facts, but tell yourself whatever you need to feel good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>
    One tap on the brake, ONE TAP! and I’ll own you. So Back Off!

No you won’t. This isn’t an episode of Seinfeld where they’ll be your butler.

Although, based on your message, it seems as if you feel you own the road or people.

People who think brake checking is a viable strategy while driving are the exact people I’m watching out for on the road. They drive with some random sense of anger and entitlement.

duh queen

Actually, under Mn law, I do own the road, in a sense. Wile I’m on it, I own that portion that I occupy….as well as the 2 second following distance behind me.

duh queen

Again, you are entitled to you opinion. I don’t see how your opinion is automatically to be accepted as facts, but tell yourself whatever you need to feel good.

Typo on my behalf. Should have stated opinion are NOT facts.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Actually, under Mn law, I do own the road, in a sense. Wile I’m on it, I own that portion that I occupy….as well as the 2 second following distance behind me.

Thanks for proving my point of who the actual narcissist is.

Coletrain27

You own nothing. We all know who the guy is that drives 60 in a 70 zone in the left lane now waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Here’s another question I thought of. What is the etiquette when there’s 3 or more lanes? Sometimes I am on 94 and there’s 3 or 4 lanes. I realize that the far left lane is still the “fast” or passing lane, but what about the middle lane or two? I generally drive a little slower when I’m towing my boat and prefer to be in one of the middle lanes rather than the far right one to avoid having to deal with mergers coming on.

3Rivers

All I know is that I would hate to have a regular everyday left turn lane off a freeway on my commute. No matter how fast I’m going in the left lane there is always someone going 20 over that speed. If I’m at 60, someone is at 80, 70/90, 80/100. Now imagine trying to make your turn everyday.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Here’s another question I thought of. What is the etiquette when there’s 3 or more lanes? Sometimes I am on 94 and there’s 3 or 4 lanes. I realize that the far left lane is still the “fast” or passing lane, but what about the middle lane or two? I generally drive a little slower when I’m towing my boat and prefer to be in one of the middle lanes rather than the far right one to avoid having to deal with mergers coming on.

IMO, the middle lane is for thru traffic, meaning you have no plans of exiting the freeway/interstate anytime soon. Treat the right lane as planning to exit or slower traffic and far left as passing lane, or in small cases left exit.

If you notice, most trucks will use the middle lane, at least the guys that have been driving for a while. They are mostly going to be thru traffic, or know where their exiting.

big_g
    Isle, MN

For me with multiples lanes. Left lane is for in a hurry/passing. Left center or center is for 5 over speed limit, not exiting for miles. Right center/ center is 5 over limit, exiting in a few miles. Right lane is for driving speed limit, exiting and merging.

Jimmy Jones

IMO, the middle lane is for thru traffic, meaning you have no plans of exiting the freeway/interstate anytime soon. Treat the right lane as planning to exit or slower traffic and far left as passing lane, or in small cases left exit.

For me with multiples lanes. Left lane is for in a hurry/passing. Left center or center is for 5 over speed limit, not exiting for miles. Right center/ center is 5 over limit, exiting in a few miles. Right lane is for driving speed limit, exiting and merging.

These two are basically what I try to abide by. I drive slower if I am pulling a trailer but still try to drive at least the limit or a coupl;e over.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Yep, middle lanes have least resistance so that’s a good choice, unlike the far right lane of multiple lane roads. Think you brought it up last page big_g, about oncoming vehicles on 2 lane blacktop, I can’t stress it enough to my kids now traveling to the lake on just a quick glance making sure the oncoming vehicles are where they need to be, rumble strips or not. Have seen the remnants of way too many headons that I care to see the last few years.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Many of the 3 lanes here in Wisconsin the far left lane is for passing and semi’s are prohibited. I think this is why most semi’s are in the center lane.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Always a good idea to keep in the right lane on a multi lane freeway. Especially at night. You reduce your chance of a head on crash with a wrong way driver. 694 has been closed since 2am due to a fatal HO wrong way driver crash last night. Made me think of this post!

-J.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Made me think of this post!

Same here. Saw the headline and found it ironic the thread currently taking place here. I think the advice some have given about accounting for oncoming traffic is spot-on. When you think about it, there’s really not that much space separating two vehicles meeting on a 2-lane road, so there’s not much room for error. A minor swerve from someone reaching to grab something can change or end the lives of everyone involved.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.