Passing lane

• Swimjiggin
    Participant
    Burnsville/Willmar

We run out hwy 7 maybe 3 times a month to the cabin. Usually set the cruise at 7-8 mph over which seems the law leaves us alone. What I don’t get is the people we catch up to give it gas at the passing lanes! I have no problem with that if they wouldn’t slow back down after it goes back to 2 lanes. It’s like they don’t wanna be passed.

Tlazer
    Participant

See it happen all the time, and I still can’t figure out why. You would think if they are driving at a certain speed on the 2 lane hwy, keep the same speed on the passing lanes.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

They don’t want to be behind a boat.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s when you have to up your game and pass them anyways.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

I think it’s some kind of pride deal. Dum basses will be dum basses and there’s no shortage on the road

MX1825
    Participant

I hate the guy on your bumper that is so close you can tell the color of his eyes. When I move over on the hill passing lane to let him pass he only pulls up along side of you. End of passing lane comes and you have to brake/kill the cruise and pull in behind him. GRRRR!!!
    No wonder there is road rage.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Getting older makes it easy to get going 5 minutes sooner. It’s amazing the difference 5 minutes can make in your attitude.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Participant
    Minnesota

I got pulled over in the “fast lane” recently. Not another car in sight as far as I could see front or back on 371 near Nisswa.

I was going 6MPH over the speed limit. He pulled me over for literally “staying in the passing lane”…

Doesn’t have much to do with this post but it reminded me of that. I chalk it up to the state trooper was bored.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I got pulled over in the “fast lane” recently. Not another car in sight as far as I could see front or back on 371 near Nisswa.

I was going 6MPH over the speed limit. He pulled me over for literally “staying in the passing lane”…

Doesn’t have much to do with this post but it reminded me of that. I chalk it up to the state trooper was bored.

Trying to teach people the passing lane is for passing not cruising.its amazing how many just cruise in the passing lane with out any courtesy to move over. Not saying you by any means

CaptainMusky
    Participant

They don’t want to be behind a boat.

Happens all the time. I pass people while pulling a trailer only for them to pass me and slow down so I can repeat the process all over again.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

Yeah, most people are clueless drivers.
    Even the semi drivers you used to be able to count on to understand courtesy and lane choice etc. are not the same anymore.
    Same experience as Captain Musky – WTF
    Dutchboy – that’s it too – I wonder though -If you ae paying attention and see me coming up on you you SHOULD realize I am going faster…….
    Also. Radar Detectors – and you are driving UNDER the limit? In the left lane?!

One last vent: ( when I am towing the boat)
    Get flipped off all the time by people coming up the ramp to get on the freeway. Nowhere on my left to go so I stay in my lane, maintain my speed and they expect me to slow down to let them in.( usually going just fast enough to get next to me – not fast enough to get and stay ahead of me) I looked up state law on this. It is THEIR obligation to either slow up or speed up, not MY obligation to slow down so they can get in. THe ramp is for speeding up and giving you time to judge how you are going to enter the roadway safely.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Exactly Umy! Merging traffic is supposed to speed up or slow down to merge not those traveling on the freeway.

AK Guy
    Participant

We run out hwy 7 maybe 3 times a month to the cabin. Usually set the cruise at 7-8 mph over which seems the law leaves us alone. What I don’t get is the people we catch up to give it gas at the passing lanes! I have no problem with that if they wouldn’t slow back down after it goes back to 2 lanes. It’s like they don’t wanna be passed.

I complain about this to my wife all the time. Her theory is that drivers speed up in the 4 lane/passing lane and then slow down in the 2 lane because of comfort and safety. She thinks they’re more worried about a head on crash when it’s 2 lane and that’s why they slow down. It drives me crazy. Pun intended.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I have to agree that the left lane in that scenario is not for cruising. If people only used that lane to pass, it keeps traffic flowing more smoothly AND is more predictable for cross traffic (if that highway has it). If nobody is around OR you are not passing someone, you should be in the right hand lane – just my opinion.

Riverrat
    Participant

That “fast” lane law is stupid. If I’m not holding up traffic I should be able to be in the outside lane. If someone starts catching up move over. It’s not a passing lane, it’s just a lane.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I have to agree that the left lane in that scenario is not for cruising. If people only used that lane to pass, it keeps traffic flowing more smoothly AND is more predictable for cross traffic (if that highway has it). If nobody is around OR you are not passing someone, you should be in the right hand lane – just my opinion.
    [/quote]

Not just your opinion, it is law. Passing lane is made for passing not cruising.

Onthewater
    Participant

Not just your opinion, it is law. Passing lane is made for passing not cruising.
    [/quote]

When the right lane is full of craters like almost every road in Minnesota and Wisconsin I’m staying in the left lane. When someone is catching up behind me I’ll move over. I’m not beating my truck and myself up for hours just because there is a law for idiots that can’t move over when needed

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

When the right lane is full of craters like almost every road in Minnesota and Wisconsin I’m staying in the left lane. When someone is catching up behind me I’ll move over. I’m not beating my truck and myself up for hours just because there is a law for idiots that can’t move over when needed
    [/quote]

Don’t blame me I’m not the rule maker.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

That “fast” lane law is stupid. If I’m not holding up traffic I should be able to be in the outside lane. If someone starts catching up move over. It’s not a passing lane, it’s just a lane.

It is a passing lane. That’s exactly what it’s called.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

To the OP I also like on a 2 lane highway the people going the speed limit or slower, that then accelerate when you are passing them. Happened a couple times this weekend on the way up and back from the cabin. As for the rest, it is a passing lane, and boils down to people not knowing how to zipper merge.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Exactly Umy! Merging traffic is supposed to speed up or slow down to merge not those traveling on the freeway.

My Father is the worst at merging. He tries to merge onto an interstate going 50 mph. People generally try to merge onto highways going too slow.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have nothing to add.

Attachments:
    1. passinglane.jpg

duh queen
    Participant

If traffic is heavy and I’m on a dived hwy(but not freeway) and will be making a LH turn in the next mile or so, I’m staying in the left lane!
    Tailgaters can #^%#% me! I’m still exceeding the posted limit, so I have little sympathy for those x!@#% who think they own the road. If you’re running late, that’s not my problem. One tap on the brake, ONE TAP! and I’ll own you. So Back Off!

Swimjiggin
    Participant
    Burnsville/Willmar

That was a pretty good read thalweg. Work put us through extra drivers training years ago, think it was the “Smith ” system, learned alot and still use it. Just a couple but back then they told us to travel in the lane with the least resistance, and another make sure your doing or close to the speed limit while entering and merging on the freeways. Sometimes you can and can’t.

Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

One tap on the brake, ONE TAP! and I’ll own you. So Back Off!

And if they are running a dash camera (as is becoming more and more common) YOU will be paying for any damages and/or loss of life. Your insurance will not cover intentional acts.

You don’t need “a mile or so” to get in the left hand turning lane.

Coletrain27
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dee J Anders wrote:</div>
    One tap on the brake, ONE TAP! and I’ll own you. So Back Off!

And if they are running a dash camera (as is becoming more and more common) YOU will be paying for any damages and/or loss of life. Your insurance will not cover intentional acts.

yep!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

My truck has sensors telling me when I’m too close to the vehicle in front of me. Its actually kind of annoying.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Isnt MN a state where a rear ending is always 100% the rear enders fault?

Coletrain27
    Participant

Isnt MN a state where a rear ending is always 100% the rear enders fault?

would be pretty hard for that if you had a dash cam and there was video evidence of somebody intentionaly slamming on there brakes on a wide open road. pretty sure brake checking alone is illegal

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.