Crappies were on fire this afternoon

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I couldn’t buy a bite this morning. I started using 1/4 oz jigs and 2″ grub bodies. Changing colors about every fifteen minutes and fishing at the mouth of a cove. Nobody in the area was catching much of anything. When moving over to a favorite submerged tree that I always fish when targeting crappie, I stopped to talk to another fisherman just as I stopped he caught an 8″ speck. With the jig sticking out of the crappies mouth I noticed he was using a white and blue tube. Now I know what color I am going to use well as close as I can get I put on a blue 1/4 oz jig and a 1 1/2″ white grub. But I still can’t get a bite. So I started looking through all of my plastics I have a 1″ blue tube with a black head, and a 1″ green tube with a purple head. And no tube jigs….wait a minute I have some H2O jigs.

Well I wasn’t on that tree 5 minutes with the blue tube and the green tube before I caught a 12” slab on the blue/black tube. Now I got them interested…yeah right, it was probably another hour before I got another bite, but this time it was on the green/purple tube and it is a solid 10” crappie. They continued to bite the rest of the afternoon, not as fast as I would like but I got my limit. I am color blind and my daughter says that the tube is violet not purple, I don’t really care. It caught 75 percent of the crappie this afternoon on it.

Hillsdale Lake

Water temperature 43

Cloudy

Light breeze

Bobby5

Thanks…I really enjoyed the open-water crappie report from Kansas. Here in Wisconsin guys are already ice fishing. Anyway, great pictures…very nice, and good information as well. I know fishermen that swear by the color purple. Again, good post.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Darned nice mess ‘O whites there!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.