Same Special Place, Yesterday’s Victim

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Yesterday’s story to follow, gotta get ready for work.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Waited too long to edit the above post so here comes the story with Bob. He finally made it back up with his wife who was my wife’s maid of honor in our wedding. The last time we fished was some years ago and the fall walleyes were not very friendly that couple of days. So we looked to make this a fish catching event instead of a fishing trip.

Bob started off with his rod 6# clear line and pitched the same 32nd oz jigs that had been winners from the past trips. We worked the pad edges as in the past, though I suspected that they had moved off a bit with the cooler weather that has been with us the last two weeks. I also readied the anchor as this day had so much more wind than I had previously had to deal with. As we went around the corner and picked up a few fish, they were closer to the boat than the pad edge, so as we drifted down the shoreline I would estimate how far we were able to cast with the wind and used that as my next anchor point. I also talked Bob into the ultra light with the 4# test yellow stren. He instantly went from catching few to hammering them. His cubby had the orange head and while were catching a few the brown tail on this one was really doing the job in comparison to my chartruese. The other thing we were able to do casting with the wind was to eliminate the line drift with the side casts. That made a huge difference in our line watching.

In the third picture, you can see in the background the thunder head getting sheared off and our afternoon was cut a bit short as a squall line came through. We did catch some bigger gills during the day, but the bite was a bit off.

Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.