Mississippi river pool 9 and 10 report 12/29,12/31

• superdave
    NE IA

Made it over to the river last weekend on Saturday and Monday. Fished several spots on pools 9 and 10. On saturday the bite was pretty tough on 10 so we drove up to pool 9. Tried one spot that was 3-4′ of water, and didn’t have much luck. We marked tons of fish, but only could get a few small bluegills to bite. Ended up moving to a spot that was only around 2′ of water with some weeds mixed in, and found some nicer bluegills and a few crappies mixed in. These fish were suspended and the bigger ones were cruising right below the ice.

My brother and I made it out on Monday and headed back up to Pool 9. We tried 3 different spots, and didn’t find much going on. We found a steady bite for small fish, but that was it. We decided to head to cabelas and check pool 10. We didn’t find any deals there, but the fish on pool 10 were a lot more willing. We ended up keeping 25 nice gills, and my brother had the hot stick of the day landing two dandy perch that were each around 12″.

Hot tip of the day, pay attention to your knot! When your on a finicky panfish bite like we were over the weekend, having your knot slide out of place and your jig hang crooked means no bites. This is especially true with jigs that hang horizontal.

Here are a few pictures of our better fish from Saturday.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.