Packers – Ca$h Strapped

• toddrun

Breaking News – Aaron Rodgers and Packers agree to 4 year $200M contract, w/ $153M signing bonus.

Holy Crap!!!!!

Say goodbye to all the free agents. And poor Devante Adams, who though Erin was his friend, will now be stuck with the franchise tag and forced to play a year and pray he does not get hurt, nice friend.

I guess you don’t have to win playoff games to get the big bucks.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea we have a QB in Minnesota kinda like that to. Only he’s not a prima dona like Erin

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This contract actually helps their cap situation by about $20 million this year. And Devante is 29 years old, and will make $18 million on a Franchise tag this year, so I think he’ll be fine. As for the rest of the team, particularly in years 2, 3 and 4 as more of that contract tolls on the salary cap, going to be tough to resign internal players, let alone sign any free agents!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yea we have a QB in Minnesota kinda like that to. Only he’s not a prima dona like Erin

Lets hope we don’t have our Minnesota QB for another season. He may not be a Prima Donna, But he’s also not a clutch QB in Big games or tough situations.

CaptainMusky

Lets hope we don’t have our Minnesota QB for another season. He may not be a Prima Donna, But he’s also not a clutch QB in Big games or tough situations.

Kirk gets hated on a lot for “stats” are padded in garbage time, cant win the big game yada yada yada. The fact remains however that he is an above average QB and he has been held back by Zimmer. How many times have you heard Zimmer say we need to run the ball more? Tons. Cousins’ main issue is the lack of a decent offensive line. If he gets the amount of protection most other QBs get his stats would be even better. He is far from the problem with this team.

toddrun

Devonte will be fine for this year, on a franchise tag $$’s, but if he gets a serious injury, his BIG longer term contract goes POOF! And I don’t think his friend Erin will dole out any of his money.

I don’t get how the big signing bonus helps against the cap? Might help for one year, maybe 2, if it is back end heavy, but sooner or later they have to pay the piper. Kind of like the Saints still paying Brees’ contract against the cap, when he is retired.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

Kirk gets hated on a lot for “stats” are padded in garbage time, cant win the big game yada yada yada. The fact remains however that he is an above average QB and he has been held back by Zimmer. How many times have you heard Zimmer say we need to run the ball more? Tons. Cousins’ main issue is the lack of a decent offensive line. If he gets the amount of protection most other QBs get his stats would be even better. He is far from the problem with this team.

i agree…. curious to see how the next season unfolds!!!!! i think that Zimmer led coaching staff had alot to do with it!!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The $153m is guarantee money, not signing bonus. So the $153 is paid out over 4 years. Playing or not.

-J.

dirtywater

Packers cap situation has significantly improved in the last 24 hours. think they were projected to be about $25M over, which was completely neutralized when the NFL raised the salary cap yesterday from $182M to $208M. The new Rodgers deal helps that even more. They shouldn’t have any issues this year. It will get more challenging the further they get into this new 4-year deal, but the cap will continue to climb as well. This is unlikely to mean they have to dump a bunch of valuable assets. They might lose Rasul Douglas this year though.

Fowldreams55398

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

The offensive line isn’t really the whole problem. They had given up the fifth fewest sacks of this past season. The non mobile safe qb is more of an issue!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This contract actually helps their cap situation by about $20 million this year. And Devante is 29 years old, and will make $18 million on a Franchise tag this year, so I think he’ll be fine. As for the rest of the team, particularly in years 2, 3 and 4 as more of that contract tolls on the salary cap, going to be tough to resign internal players, let alone sign any free agents!

This was the most logical play if they wanted to run it back with a similar roster and create cap relief. People get tied up in the big numbers but don’t look at the details that have yet to be released. These often carry voidable years, player options, backloaded contracts, etc. This deal also will cover a time period where the NFL Salary Cap will likely continue to grow again.

The Packers are now down to less that $15 million over the cap. I’d think that one of the Smiths are gone up front to balance numbers and Campbell will walk into free agency. They get to keep their pro bowl talent of Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Davante Adams, Aaron Jones, Jaire Alexander, and will probably lose Devandre Campbell. I’d support them doubling down and dumping some draft picks + Love to bring in some win-now type talent. I would mortgage the next 5 years for a decent couple shots at championship in a heartbeat. With Brady allegedly retired, the NFC favorites have to again be the Rams, 49ers, and Packers…with the 49ers having a huge decision coming at QB and the Rams having a few key free agents as well.

It will be interesting to see how the Vikings respond or make moves based on this. Before Rodgers return, I would have wanted the Vikings to run back the same roster to a guaranteed playoff birth, North Title and 11-12 wins. Now they’re probably back in the Wild Card discussion and teetering on the idea of bringing the group back or starting to reshuffle the deck.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t get how the big signing bonus helps against the cap? Might help for one year, maybe 2, if it is back end heavy, but sooner or later they have to pay the piper. Kind of like the Saints still paying Brees’ contract against the cap, when he is retired.

Basically they can move the “signing bonus money” to toll against the cap in a later year of their choosing, so while his contract averages to $50m/year, next year his cap # could be any number less than that, with the balance recouped at a later year.

CaptainMusky

The offensive line isn’t really the whole problem. They had given up the fifth fewest sacks of this past season. The non mobile safe qb is more of an issue!

It isnt the whole problem but its a large part of it. They may have given up the 5th fewest sacks, but he was also one of the most pressured QBs in the league and had one of the best if not the best QBR when under pressure.

Justin riegel

Even though I am Vikings fan, I admire how Aaron handles his business. He has done it his way and will be one a few guys to ever play a whole 20 plus year career with the same team. I wonder what GB’s 1st round back up Mr. Love is thinking?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Besides Rodgers leaving, this is the next best option for opposing fans imo. Their cap situation is going to be screwed for years, and like the Saints did with Brees, it will take a long time to get it right, while looking for their next QB. This is basically an all-in call for the next year or two.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You have your head buried in the sand if you think there is a better option out there right now. Especially now that O’Donnell is the head coach and has worked with Cousins in a previous position. Cousins isn’t going anywhere and there’s a good chance they extend him to save some money on the upcoming salary cap. Is he a top 5 QB in the NFL? Certainly not. But he is definitely a top 12 or top 10 and his stats back that up. Last season he had the 8th best overall QB rating in the league, which means there were 24 quarterbacks that had a worse season than him. The Vikings were competitive in every single game when he played and the one game he missed, they got blown out. That is obvious evidence that with him they can win, but without him they have no chance.

As for the re-signing of Rodgers at 50 mil/year, its basically going to just set the bar for future contracts. Does he even have 4 more years left before he retires? Probably not. But in order to keep him in Green Bay and keep him happy, this was likely the only option they had.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Besides Rodgers leaving, this is the next best option for opposing fans imo. Their cap situation is going to be screwed for years, and like the Saints did with Brees, it will take a long time to get it right, while looking for their next QB. This is basically an all-in call for the next year or two.

I’d mortgage 5 years of a team’s future knowing it will mean a complete rebuild for a couple legitimate shots at a SB. Thankfully that’s what happened. Having Rodgers walk with a win-now type roster and no answer at QB would’ve cemented the Packers in as a mediocre team. They would have a few years with a pi$$ed off fan base, no legitimate shot at a title, and no top of the draft opportunity to swing at the heir to Rodgers.

Let’s hope they trade Love and start flipping draft picks for win-now type help as well.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’d mortgage 5 years of rebuilding for a couple legitimate shots at a SB. Thankfully that’s what happened.

Let’s hope they trade Love and start flipping draft picks for win-now type help as well.
    [/quote]

Agreed.

duh queen

Will somebody please remind me why I should even care about what some overpaid sports primadonna makes? I now consider myself a “recovering sports fan”. There’s too much happening in my woods to waste time watching a fixed game. Have you ever wondered why these guys are paid so much? The cynical me thinks it’s hush money, as in we’re paying you NOT to blow the whistle on our very lucrative little gig here. The real losers in pro sport are the suckers who pay admission or watch on TV. No me……not anymore. 45 years a sports addict, now looking to get clean.

Sylvanboat

Darn. I was hoping Rodgers would go to Denver and Bears would get Devante Adams cheap. Another great plan dashed.

bclii
    MN/AZ

[/quote]
    This does sound like an OL issue!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d mortgage 5 years of a team’s future knowing it will mean a complete rebuild for a couple legitimate shots at a SB.

As would I. However, if you assume Rodgers plays out this 4 year deal, every penny of savings used for a couple legitimate shots on the front end, gets recouped on the backend and beyond. Brees was an $11M cap hit last year and this upcoming year, while he was in a TV studio. And the same will happen to GB I think. So say Rodgers contract tolls at $30m/year in the 1st two years, he would be due $140M in years 3 and 4 (not possible), so they would spread that out over his retirement years. Which would be a long term problem very likely beyond 5 years time from now.

Or Rodgers could play this next year, be unhappy with something/anything and retire, and leave GB holding the bag for the remaining $153M signing bonus and it’s hit on future cap when he’s not playing. So GB wouldn’t have a franchise QB, but they’d still be paying one.

KP
    Hudson, WI

The reports of the 4 year deal and money are all false right now. Pat McAfee who broke this news is pretty much the only one you can trust with news on Rodgers. On his show he said there is no deal yet and only an agreement for him to come back to the Packers. He is also saying it will be a cap friendly deal but Rodgers is still going to get paid.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Have you ever wondered why these guys are paid so much?

No. The answer is capitalism.

CaptainMusky

No. The answer is capitalism.

Right, sure they are paid a ridiculous amount, but for many their chance at income is a real short window. They also beat the crap out of themselves and some have broken down bodies when they are done.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The fact remains however that he is an above average QB

100%. Kirk isn’t Aaron Rodgers or Brady or Mahomes. But there are A LOT of teams out there wondering what to do with their QB situation. 49ers aren’t completely sold on getting rid of Jimmy G just yet. Raiders aren’t sure what to do with Derek Carr (already getting paid pretty well). Panthers traded for Sam Darnold. Plenty of last year’s QB-drafting teams outside of the Patriots still don’t have much for an answer.

Kirk Cousins takes a lot of personal heat because the Vikings as a team haven’t won big with him there. Many of his accomplishments have been repeated on this site, one of them being that statistically this past year for him was almost identical to Brett Favre in 2009. “yeah but Favre was blowing teams out by two scores.” That’s because their defense was decent and holding them to that two-score lead. “Kirk’s stats are padded by garbage-time production.” Vikings defense has been bad at least the last 2 years, putting him into garbage time.

I know he’s not an MVP, but he’s also not one of the top reasons the Vikings haven’t progressed much the last few years either.

CaptainMusky

I know he’s not an MVP, but he’s also not one of the top reasons the Vikings haven’t progressed much the last few years either.

This isnt necessarily saying much, but he has to be top 2 or 3 QB in Vikings history. We have had our fair share of turds. If Rodgers plays his out with the Packers, the Packers will have had a HOF QB for like 34 years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I’d mortgage 5 years of a team’s future knowing it will mean a complete rebuild for a couple legitimate shots at a SB.

As would I. However, if you assume Rodgers plays out this 4 year deal, every penny of savings used for a couple legitimate shots on the front end, gets recouped on the backend and beyond. Brees was an $11M cap hit last year and this upcoming year, while he was in a TV studio. And the same will happen to GB I think. So say Rodgers contract tolls at $30m/year in the 1st two years, he would be due $140M in years 3 and 4 (not possible), so they would spread that out over his retirement years. Which would be a long term problem very likely beyond 5 years time from now.

Or Rodgers could play this next year, be unhappy with something/anything and retire, and leave GB holding the bag for the remaining $153M signing bonus and it’s hit on future cap when he’s not playing. So GB wouldn’t have a franchise QB, but they’d still be paying one.

Sign me up for this every day of the week. Rodgers for even 2 years is exponentially more valuable to the franchise than anyone else who will be available. There are about 8-10 humans walking the face of this earth out of 8 billion people who you need to win a Super Bowl with today’s style of play. The Packers have one of them. He wasn’t going to come cheap.

Drew Brees is a great comparison. Find a lifelong Saints fan and ask them if they’d have rather seen Brees somewhere else and maybe have not had the SB or last few good years, but be in a better financial position today…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Geez blockbuster trade for Wilson.

Send him to the AFC. Great spot to stockpile more top notch QBs. Maybe a disgruntled Kyler Murray will head to Pittsburgh as a backup plan to Rodgers. Cousins now probably has another Pro Bowl locked up with Rodgers and Stafford passing on it each year for more important things.

Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, Mac Jones = all in the AFC

Rodgers, Stafford, Prescott, Murray (whatever his deal is), and Kirk = all in the NFC

Brady = Retired

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.