P2 – 494 Ramp

• mark z
    South Minneapolis

How bad is the ice? Those warm temps over the weekend should help some. I hope to check out hidden falls ramp as well as the stretch of the river between there and the confluence. (Driving along East River road.)

CBMN
    North Metro

I am guessing it wont look good and guessing the 2 day warm up wont help much but I sure hope to get out in February still, it just might be a week or two yet.

BrianF

Just drove over the bridge there. Ice from shore to shore and solid as far as the eye could see both N and S.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the update Brian. I would guess this weekends temps will open the main channel but little more. Doesnt really matter as a good part of my weekend is going to be busy with fixing broken water pipes.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If hidden falls isn’t iced in a guy could get up towards the dam. It’s open water on the east side of the island. Open as far as I could see running over the ford pkwy bridge this morning.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Anyone know how its looking at 494? Hidden Falls park is closed because of steep hill.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Heard there was a trailer in the parking lot today.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

How bad is it?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Airport area is ice free, I haven’t seen 494, anyone checked it out?

matthewkolden

I’d like to know, too. Figure I’d better get down there before the water levels are up about 300 feet.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Anyone have a report on Hidden Falls?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Drove over the highway 5 bridge yesterday. Some open water in the middle of the river up there. Same for the river though downtown. Sliver of open water in the main channel.

-J.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Today 4:00 PM

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2178.jpg

2. IMG_2179-1.jpg

3. IMG_2179.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

Just checking out the 494 ramp. It’s a bit frozen. Some guy named Chad was trying to bust some of it loose with a chainsaw, but shortly gave up as I pulled up. Looks like a big crack coming off the wingdam maybe, so hopefully that’ll break off soon. We could probably cast to the open water. lol

Attachments:
    1. 20190308_175331.jpg

2. 20190308_175323.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

Anyone have a report on Hidden Falls?

Gates Still closed. Wifey Ran through on foot today and saw no reason for the closure. Lots cleared. Didn’t look at ramp of course but nobody has been down there so I’m sure it’s full of snow and ice.

I encourage everyone to contact St. Paul parks dpt if they want to get on the water any time soon. Number for operations dpt is (651) 632-5111. Operations manager Gary Korum won’t even answer an email.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for checking 494 out Sharon.
    As far as Hidden Falls goes I had heard when it was icy they had 3 trucks stuck down there with one almost slipping over the edge sooo… it sounds like they are doing triage on their workload. Hopefully after this storm and the warm weather, they will get it open. (And the plow drivers are able to catch a break).

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks for checking 494 out Sharon.
    As far as Hidden Falls goes I had heard when it was icy they had 3 trucks stuck down there with one almost slipping over the edge sooo… it sounds like they are doing triage on their workload. Hopefully after this storm and the warm weather, they will get it open. (And the plow drivers are able to catch a break).

That was like early Feb though. The plows have made it down there and cleared the hill and the parking lots below.

I’m making a big deal of this because I’ve seen stuff like this happen before — being closed for bad conditions gradually turns into them making the decision to be closed all winter. Nobody complains so they make it the new policy, And there goes hidden falls cold weather access, poof.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the updates guys. If it wasn’t for the next storm of the century coming in later today would of been down this morning working on the 494 ramp. Wouldn’t be surprised if its open by mid week.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

You are correct. It should be open. Here is the customer service email address for St Paul Parks: [email protected] In addition Hidden Falls is a Regional park, which also means it gets funds from the Metropolitan Council. Lets let St Paul Parks hear from us.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I saw 2 boats south and one boat north of the Wakota bridge yesterday. I couldn’t see down to the ramp, but most of the river was open side to side at the bridge.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Boats are getting in at 494. Lillydale still has shelf ice and snow on the ramp.

It go time!!

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good luck to those that are getting our. Think Chad busted that ramp open on Sunday. Sounds like there might still be a pretty good ice lip to get the boats over. For us guys limited to weekend fishing Im all ready wondering what the river is going to be like this weekend. Wont be surprised if its on the rise all ready.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Sadly, I have to go to Cancun for a week. If you see a really tan guy out there at the end of March, say hello.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good to go. wave

Viewing 24 posts - 61 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.