Over-Under recommendation

• Jeff Schomaker

Okay guys I decided I want to finally get an over under for doves and quail and the occasional pheasant. My question is what gun do you guys recommend for $2000 or preferably less. I’ve narrowed it down to either a 20 or 28 gauge.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Browning Citori’s in 20 ga are considerably less than 2 grand and would fit the bill nicely. If you want to show a little class in the field a pidgeon grade 101 Winchester are beautiful little guns and you should still be able to find one for $2000. ” life is to short to shoot an ugly gun”

Timmy

I have a Citori Superlight Feather in 20ga and could not be happier. It is my favorite grouse gun. It is chambered in 2-3/4″ only, so load selection is a little limited if wild pheasants are the game….. if they are game farm birds, it is perfect…. Personally, I prefer the 20 over the 28, simply because of shell availability/cost/variety.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Beretta Silver Pigeon
    20 g
    28″ bbl

Tim owens

Browning 725 field are right at $2000. It comes with 3 chokes, so if you want a skeet tube you’ll need to purchase one.

Beretta 686 are about $1800. They come with 4 choke tubes. It has a longer length of pull, about 1/2 inch.

The 725 is on top

Attachments:
    1. image.jpg

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Beretta Silver Pigeon
    20 g
    28″ bbl

X2. Though, I would go 26″. A 28″ wont add much for pheasants but the 2″ less barrel makes for a very maneuverable grouse gun.

Angler II

Browning citori. Shoulder one and you’ll see why.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

The 20 gauge is going to be a lot easier and cheaper to feed. Lots of ammo choices. 28 gauges are cool tho, and unless your shooting lots of targets the ammo cost isn’t a deal breaker. Pheasants tend to pull toward the 20, but you said “occasional” pheasants, so again a 28 gauge will work if you can hold off the long shots. I’d go handle as many as you can in your price range and see which one speaks to you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Jeff Schomaker

Well I’ve narrowed it down to a 20 gauge. But as far as which gun…. not a clue. I haven’t had a chance handle or shoulder them yet though. I’m sure that will help make up my mind.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Another vote for the Browning Citori. I have had mine since 1983 and it has seen some hard times duck/pheasant hunting in snow and ice, but never skips a beat. I can’t even imagine how many shells have gone thru that gun.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well I’ve narrowed it down to a 20 gauge. But as far as which gun…. not a clue. I haven’t had a chance handle or shoulder them yet though. I’m sure that will help make up my mind.

Exactly. Buy fit, not brand. Beretta, Browning, Benelli, and the smaller Italian and Spanish makers ALL make a quality shotgun these days.

A number of years ago, I thought I wanted a Beretta 20 gauge. Walked out with a Browning. The fit was just so much better for me, the only fit modification I made was a custom butt plate.

I dropped the first two rooster I shot at with 2 successive shots, never used the upper barrel in the first day.

The only thing I can say about an O/U that is slightly negative is that a light upland gun will kick like a mule with heavy loads. This is simply a matter of physics, but my 725 Superlight with 26 inch tubes weighs in at 5.8 pounds and it kicks like a heavyweight mule with full flavor loads. IMO it would be madness to take it anywhere where more than 10-12 rounds a day would be fired on a consistent basis. You would have to be some kind of sadist to take it south on a high volume dove shoot unless, of course, you’re one of those guys who brings a dominatrix along as a loader.

Grouse

Tim owens

Shoot 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads and pick your shots. You can’t take those 45-50 yd shots. But anything under 40 yds will be just as dead, as being shot with 1 1/8 oz.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I shot most of the ones mentioned here and also a CZ Redhead. The thing shoulder very well for me and I was busting clays like I had never before ! I ordered one and am very pleased with it. And for $1000 you cannot go wrong… CZ Redhead Premier

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.