Ouch!

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gas has been pretty much stuck near me for months at $2.99 to $3.19 per gallon for 87 unleaded. It’s currently $3.14 per gallon.

The problem as I see it is that it’s January. It’s the middle of winter. It’s not peak travel or vacation season. If it’s this high in January, what’s it gonna be in May? Something’s gotta change pretty soon here. It really should be about $2.49/gal in the middle of winter.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Oil prices are set by the global market.

Global market based on supply. Which is lowered with such government interference.

matt

Allmost .50$ of the price of a gallon goes to the state and feds for taxes.Wonder how much they rake in on the gas taxes alone in a year?Could be worse the governor has wanted a .10$ gallon tax increase the past couple years,guessing that wont come up this year.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Global market based on supply. Which is lowered with such government interference.

Yes and no.
    The us government has very little influence on crude prices. When opec decides to cut production, supply crashes and prices rise.

Even if the keystone oil pipeline is built, it may not have much influence on market price if opec decides to cut production.

The us has been a net oil exporter the past two years and you can see what that did to our crude prices. Just because we are a net exporter doesn’t mean we control our oil market. We still import a massive amount of oil. It’s just that we are exporting slightly more and exporting more oil doesn’t necessarily mean lower prices.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Oil prices are set by the global market. The cancellation of Keystone pipeline had zero affect on oil prices.

I see your head is still deep in the sand. You can believe whatever you want but don’t try to convince us that the cancellation of the keystone xl didnt effect fuel prices. Prices increasing drastically almost immediately after Brandon’s inauguration and his following executive orders is just a coincidence? Come on man!
    You realize the USA is included in the global market right? So it would make sense that a large drop in our oil production would increase demand worldwide right?
    Prices were low and steady for 4 years up until that point right?
    What else changed in the global market to cause the increase?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I see your head is still deep in the sand. You can believe whatever you want but don’t try to convince us that the cancellation of the keystone xl didnt effect fuel prices. Prices increasing drastically almost immediately after Brandon’s inauguration and his following executive orders is just a coincidence? Come on man!
    You realize the USA is included in the global market right? So it would make sense that a large drop in our oil production would increase demand worldwide right?

The US is included in the global market and that is why we don’t control the crude prices. That’s precisely what I’m trying to say. How does cancelling a pipeline that hasn’t been built cut production?

Prices were low and steady for 4 years up until that point right?
    What else changed in the global market to cause the increase?

I can’t say what’s changed because it’ll get this thread locked down by BK.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Matt-
    Read what you wrote again. How could the USA NOT have any control/ effect on the prices if they’re part of the global market?

Your argument makes no sense to me.

I say go for it, answer the question. I bet BK will let it slide. waytogo

castle-rock-clown

Allmost .50$ of the price of a gallon goes to the state and feds for taxes.Wonder how much they rake in on the gas taxes alone in a year?Could be worse the governor has wanted a .10$ gallon tax increase the past couple years,guessing that wont come up this year.

The nerve of them charging a gas tax for providing and maintaining roads and bridges. They should be free and materialize out of thin air!

MX1825

Biggest mistake States and Feds did was not raising the gas tax when gas was under $2. No one would of complained on each adding a nickel for roads and such.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>

The nerve of them charging a gas tax for providing and maintaining roads and bridges. They should be free and materialize out of thin air!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

This won’t get political at all. roll
    I’m still waiting for the $4 gas that was supposed to have prevented us boaters from buying boats and other rec vehicles last spring.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Matt-
    Read what you wrote again. How could the USA NOT have any control/ effect on the prices if they’re part of the global market?

I reread what I wrote. It didn’t explain how the US controls the crude market. Mainly because it doesn’t. Being the largest oil consumer, you don’t have a lot of influence on the market unless you suddenly consume more or less.

The pandemic lockdowns killed oil demand crashing crude prices into negative values. They were literally paying people to take the oil. It’s pretty obvious what occurred to cause this disruption.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Still haven’t heard from anyone what a great job he’s been doing….

Except “no more mean tweets”

Yeah and I remember when you said trump would never refuse the results of an election he was just being a huge troll and using that as a way to distract people so he could get his work done. Woops

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    Matt-

I reread what I wrote. It didn’t explain how the US controls the crude market. Mainly because it doesn’t. Being the largest oil consumer, you don’t have a lot of influence on the market unless you suddenly consume more or less.

The pandemic lockdowns killed oil demand crashing crude prices into negative values. They were literally paying people to take the oil. It’s pretty obvious what occurred to cause this disruption

Controlling the oil market and being included in the oil market are two different things. We’re included or are a part of the global oil industry (obviously)
    Saying changes to our our domestic oil industry won’t have an effect on the global market is not correct. Whether that’s an increase/ decrease in demand, production, supply, etc. anything that happens here will directly effect the entire market. If Christmas can effect the market, damn sure executive orders from the potus can.
    If GM or any large auto manufacturers suddenly stopped production or cut the cost of their vehicles in half would that cause an effect on the automotive industry as a whole? Of course it would. It’s no different for any competitive global market.
    I won’t argue that the pandemic caused a decrease in demand but I doubt it was enough to cause the increase we’ve seen at the pumps.
    It still doesn’t answer the question of why this increase in prices happened nearly simultaneously with the inauguration of the new president and his immediate executive orders. Why didn’t the prices go up when we were on damn near nationwide lockdowns back in 2020?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

Yeah and I remember when you said trump would never refuse the results of an election he was just being a huge troll and using that as a way to distract people so he could get his work done. Woops

80,000,000 totally legitimate votes!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Oil prices are set by the global market. The cancellation of Keystone pipeline had zero affect on oil prices.

So for someone who know’s the commodity market of oil please explain how closing pipelines has no affect of crude oil??

matt

The government makes trillions of dollars materialize out of thin air for all kinds of wastefull pipedream projects.I suppose that $.50 per gallon helps them recoup a bit…Maybe we need more trains like the southwest light rail to solve the high fuel prices,if only we didnt have to wait 10 years to ride them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So for someone who know’s the commodity market of oil please explain how closing pipelines has no affect of crude oil??

A pipeline that was never built didn’t affect crude prices.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

The government makes trillions of dollars materialize out of thin air for all kinds of wastefull pipedream projects.I suppose that $.50 per gallon helps them recoup a bit…Maybe we need more trains like the southwest light rail to solve the high fuel prices,if only we didnt have to wait 10 years to ride them.

It’s hard to pull my boat with a train…..

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

A pipeline that was never built didn’t affect crude prices.

Well, technically it does.
    Having to truck and train the oil costs the manufacturers more, therefore it costs consumers more.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well, technically it does.
    Having to truck and train the oil costs the manufacturers more, therefore it costs consumers more.

Costs more that what? NOTHING CHANGED! The pipeline doesn’t exist. It never did.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If Christmas can effect the market, damn sure executive orders from the potus can.

You mean like releasing 50M barrels from the reserve? Like signing oil drilling permits at a rate faster than his predecessor?

It still doesn’t answer the question of why this increase in prices happened nearly simultaneously with the inauguration of the new president and his immediate executive orders.

The increase in price was a result of increased demand caused by the downturn of the Alpha variant and the introduction of vaccines. The affects of the pandemic spring and summer of 2021 were nonexistent.

Why didn’t the prices go up when we were on damn near nationwide lockdowns back in 2020?

You quoted my answer to this question. The lockdowns caused a massive decline in demand and a massive increase in supply. That results in a DECREASE in price.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

50 million barrels did nothing but depleted our reserve. We as American’s use more oil than that in a couple weeks. It was a bandaid at best, definitely not a solution. Imo it was a gimmick to make you feel better.

You say “the effects of the pandemic in the spring and summer of 2021 were non existent”
    That’s when the gas prices increased the most though….
    The pandemic was well established globally nearly a year before our fuel prices spiked. Biden was president barely a week before fuel prices spiked. Call me crazy but, it’s hard for me to blame it all on the pandemic.

BDR

Paid 4.66 today in New Port beach, California. Definitely wrong time for extended road trip. On top of it looks like charter is canceled due to Santa Ana wind tomorrow.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Paid 4.66 today in New Port beach, California. Definitely wrong time for extended road trip. On top of it looks like charter is canceled due to Santa Ana wind tomorrow.

you would have to put a gun to my head to travel to California so it must be personal choice. i want to travel as far away from people as possible. there must be a $30 an hour minimum wage to live in that state……good luck

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

i got 87 octane ethanol free rec fuel for 3.87 last week. you’ll get better gas mileage with that as well.

LabDaddy1

Are you the Grammer police. Because if so you will love me.

That’s hilarious. A self-aware bear!

Dude’s got it out for you lol

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

Okay…..? Was that your way of saying “Great job Brandon!”? Or was that you admittedly saying “Woops” for voting for a old senile racist turd who sniffs little girls and has nothing to show for accomplishments in 50 years?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.